Saturday, August 19, 2023

hot, dry, crappy day, and MAGAt violence



Wednesday morning. High today predicted 103˚ (feels like 107˚), high tomorrow 104˚ (feels like 108˚). No rain in sight until maybe Monday.

Tired of listening to me bitch and moan about the heat? I'm tired of me bitching and moaning about the heat. At least our lows have dropped into the mid to high 70˚s instead of the 80˚s. Quite a shock when I went out this morning at 7:30, it felt almost cool at 78˚. 78˚ is what we keep the AC on in the house.

------------

Friday, damn, where did the week go? Today's predicted high, 104˚; tomorrow and the next two days 103˚ but the liars say Tuesday only 91˚ and it will almost certainly rain! We'll see. I'm not holding my breath (forecast has already changed...less cool and less chance of rain).

This has been a shitty day since the moment I got up. The ants were back in the kitchen swarming the cat and dog food bowls, this time they seemed to be coming from under the quarter round and baseboard along the wall in which the pocket door slides, entry point far enough back in the space between the wall and the refrigerator where I can't really reach unless I pull the fridge out and the fridge does not slide easily on the vinyl flooring I put down in the kitchen after the flood. It tore the vinyl in two places the last time we moved the fridge. The orange oil spray did reach back there so I managed to kill them all but it's going to take some major caulking around the baseboards. In the meantime I'm moving the food dishes to a different room.

After I dealt with the ants I went out to set up the hose and the sprinkler. My neighbor Gary asked yesterday if I had noticed any green pecans falling and yes I had noticed that the trees were starting to drop a few. He said two people have told him that he should start watering his trees because this extreme heat and drought was causing them to go into survival mode and let go of the developing nuts. My three trees are on the edge of my septic drain field and I figured they were getting some water from that. The one that has azaleas around it gets watered when I set up the sprinkler for the azaleas. So this morning I put the hose under one of the others and let it run for 30 minutes moving it every 10 minutes. Then I went to the front and set up the sprinkler in the big flower bed there and managed to completely soak the skirt I was wearing so I had to come in and change.

And then after I had made my oatmeal for breakfast and was carrying the bowl to the table I managed to leave a trail of honey spilling over the edge. Also, ants in the dining area (and later in the day another invasion over a spot of honey that I missed coming in apparently from under the quarter round against the outside wall). I have no idea where those came from, no telltale trail. Killed them one at a time. So then I had to clean up all the dead ants in the kitchen and dining area and got out the vacuum and as long as I had it out I did all but the two small rooms, the hall, and the big bathroom but I was dripping sweat by then so they can wait.

------------

Now in other news we've all heard, I'm sure, of Trump's 4th indictment in Georgia and right on schedule he and his most ardent cult members immediately started screeching about how unfair and unprecedented Biden's weaponization of the justice department is, which of course is just more screeching by the howler monkeys to deflect from the real reason for the indictments, which is Trump's constant criminality. They cherry pick sentences or portions of a sentence out of context from the 99 page indictment as proof that this is all a political sham, the proverbial witch hunt. But Fani Willis has spent 2 1/2 years investigating Trump's conspiracy to overturn Georgia's election in his favor and she's not fucking around. Even if he manages to still get elected, he cannot pardon himself for state crimes and Georgia's governor does not have the power either. But that's not what I really wanted to write about.

It's the threats of violence, the promotion of violence that Trump and his goons are indulging in knowing full well some wacko will act on it. Immediately after the J6 indictment for his conspiracy to install himself as president one way or another after an election he lost and after being warned by Judge Chutkan to refrain from violent rhetoric, Trump threatened retaliation against those 'coming after him'. A Texas woman has been arrested for making death threats against Judge Chutkan calling her a slave, a bitch, using the n word, and telling her “we want to kill you” and they would came after her family as well. Matt Gaetz at a political rally told the crowd that “only through force do we make any changes”. Last week a man made several assassination threats against Biden and other democrat politicians on social media. When the FBI knocked on his door he came at them with guns drawn. The FBI responded in kind and the right wing is making a martyr of his bullet ridden carcass. Now someone has released the names and addresses of the members of the Atlanta grand jury that delivered the indictment and they are already getting death threats as is Fani Willis. And then of course, there's other republican politicians calling for violence and a civil war...Andy Biggs, Clay Higgins, wannabe Kari Lake, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert with their assault rifle fetishes. And these people call themselves christians, they wear their religion on their sleeves, they brag about it.

Granted, those republican politicians calling for violence are just the most wacko fringe but here's the thing. Not a single member of the republican party is calling them out. Their response to these calls for violence, these dangerous leaks of prosecutors and grand jurists personal information, is silence. This is the republican party. Silence, because if there are those who think this is wrong and dangerous, they are afraid to speak out for fear Trump's core will turn on them. Cowards every one. They go along with the lies and gas lighting for the most selfish of reasons...they might not get reelected which, as far as I'm concerned, should disqualify them from being reelected anyway.

This is what the republican party had become under Trump. They have been increasingly harder to get elected because their policies are unpopular when they have actual policies, they have done nothing but obstruct instead of govern, they run completely unqualified candidates and so have resorted to lies, gas lighting, accusations, gerrymandering, and voter suppression in an effort to force themselves on the American public. They don't actually care about the common man but are all in on power and minority rule. Case in point: Senator Tommy Tuberville has held up hundreds of armed forces promotions leaving our leadership positions empty and affecting our national security because he objects to the armed forces paying for the travel expenses for women in the armed forces to get the medical care they need re abortion. They don't pay for the abortion, just the travel expenses if they have to go out of state. He doesn't care if it's an ectopic pregnancy or if the woman is carrying a dead or deformed fetus that probably won't survive anyway or even if a baby is the last thing she needs or any fucking reason. He only cares about the power he wields and the desire to get his way.

Republican Secretaries of State are removing thousands of voters from the roles in their states. Check your registration often. And vote.

If you made it to the end here, my apologies for the length. Turned out I had a lot to say.



15 comments:

  1. That plumaria is stunning. I wonder if I have any place in this yard that would be sunny enough for it.
    Yeah. The republican party seems to be determined to drown in its own shit. Trump, of course, will hopefully drown in his but I don't think that's going to change the party. Although. It does look like DeSantas' strategy has quit working. Is it possible that his evil cruelty is frightening to voters, even those of his own party? I don't. know.
    Meanwhile, our heat is not quite as bad as yours but upper nineties daily is still hotter than I like. You sure are in a battle with the ants. They are persistent, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what's going to get sorted out first, the ant invasion or the trump business.
    I was thinking of you today as I sat soaked in sweat after coming in from a hot and humid cycle trip to the library and back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had more luck with the ant motel things, where they carry some poison back to the nest supposedly. And fortunately we have Terminex spray along the foundations outside so that may also help. But after big rains, they do start going at my potted plants on the porch. The poor GOP has really lost its way, and I'm appalled at the threats of violence to those working for justice. It reminds me of the church shootings which made our little liberal church institute a safety protocol and lock the doors each Sunday after the service starts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The orange one just never stops. His evening "videos" are becoming more unhinged by the day. It appears he listened to his lawyers and cancelled his Monday truth rant of irrefutable proof that he's innocent. The ants are horrible, I hate ants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not too long at all!
    We all have to vote 🗳️ and vote🔵 if you care about our country and Democracy, because the damned GOP and MAGATS could give a flying fuck about any of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truth is not lengthened.” Did I just coin a new word? A new phrase? 🤭 To use and old phrase . . . Right on, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first instinct is to write Texas off as doomed but then there's all you great guys and gals on the front lines. Chicago has had a glorious summer and my bet is we get your heat. Oops, yeah we are getting the heat blob

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is terrifying that death threats have become a routine sequel to any action that Republicans don’t like. The whole party is populated by deranged people, both elected and supportive. I tell you, the United States is becoming unrecognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you get relief from the heat soon, Ellen. We are supposed to get a couple hot (over 100) days here in Illinois this week but then it will start dropping down a bit (hopefully)!
    I agree with all you say about politics. It's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was like my morning on Friday. Some days are like that -- they just fall apart before they even get going!

    One of the right-wing news sites dismissed that woman making threats against Chutkan as a federal agent -- or maybe even "antifa." The levels of denial these people practice are truly staggering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You may complain about the heat as much as you want - because we need a witness to it. Also, as usual I agree with your political writings. Things are dangerous out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find it all so tiring. Mostly I am annoyed at his followers for being so very stupid. The temps here are still moderate, the humidity is killer! My youngest daughter used to call humidity "humility". Sweat could be a bit humilating ....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that plumeria, and I love your grumping about the heat -- simply because I do the same, and it's nice to know I'm not alone. On the other hand, when I looked at the radar today it sure enough looked like you might have gotten some rain and some relief. There certainly was rain in your area. We had two nice showers: one about ten minutes long, and one five minutes. But it was real rain, not sprinkles, and it added up to a quarter inch. I remember that in 2011 once the atmosphere started moistening up, the rains eventually came -- sort of like priming a pump. We'll be back in the hundreds this week, but it sure was nice to drop into the upper 70s this afternoon, and smell that rain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ellen, first time for me commenting on your blog, which I think I found through Ms. Moon😊 Have you tried peppermint water for your ant problem? I’ve found it to be very effective- though I live in the mid-Hudson valley, and I don’t think our ants are fire ants (but they’re annoying enough!). I either boil some peppermint plants in water, or add some peppermint drops to water in a spray bottle. They really seem to hate it! My last resort was the Terro ant baits, and that seemed to be the best way to get rid of them. Good luck to you!! - Ricki in NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ricki! no, I haven't tried peppermint water but my sister gave me some of the Terro liquid ant bait and I got up this morning to see a trail on ants to one and I swear it was half full of ants. left it in place and added a second one next to the baseboard they were coming in from. eat up boys.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.