Saturday, August 26, 2023

plagues...ants, heat, drought


Every time I foil the ants it takes them a few days to find another way in. This morning they were on the kitchen counter maybe coming in from the upper cabinet but no definite entry spot. Killed them all, started my watering cycle of the pecan trees, fixed breakfast, sat at the table and looked down to see a thick trail of ants coming from under the baseboard to an ant bait that my sister gave me that is under the table. I had never heard of these or seen them before, Terro liquid ant bait. You snap open the tube and inside is a sweet borax laced liquid that draws the ants which then lay a pheromone trail to the food source and back to the nest encouraging more ants to come and eat their fill. The borax kills the ant after they ingest it. When I looked down at the bait tube and it looked to be half full of ants crowding in.

So I put a second one down next to the baseboard where they were getting in. Then I checked the one between the refrigerator and the wall, and yup, it was starting to draw ants. Checked the second one by the baseboard about an hour later and it was already half full of ants. I only had the three so I ran up to the hardware store and got more.

Several days ago I decided to pick up the green pecans that had been falling to see really how many I was losing before I started watering my three trees. I set the sprinkler out with a 4 or 5 foot diameter water spread for half an hour and then move it to another spot from about 7:30 – 10 AM. The ground is so dry and hard that I'm really unsure how deep the water gets but hopefully now, a week after I started this, it's getting deep enough to reach the feeder roots which only occupy about the top 15 – 18 inches of ground. Anyway, so far I've picked up a 5 gallon bucket's worth though not all big green ones (they turn brown a day or two after they fall) but all sizes from about an inch to the big fat ones still hanging on. 

I had no idea I was losing so many. And that bucket does not include the one the squirrels plucked and gnawed on. The other reason I picked them up is because when the mature nuts start to fall, I won't be fooled by the bad ones that have already dropped.

I've cut back more of the coral ginger and swore I was going to cut back the yellow ginger because during the day they are shriveled up but this morning they looked not great but not terrible and I couldn't do it even though I know there is no hope of them blooming. And because temps from 100˚ - 103˚ which is what we've been getting every day aren't bad enough, Sunday is predicted to get up to 108˚. Just the one day though and then back to what we've been getting. Not supposed to drop below 100˚ til next month.

Looks like the farmer won't need to spray defoliant on the cotton this year. The intense heat and drought are doing a fine job of defoliating the plants, probably already dead.

Well, I did actually accomplish something this week besides watering. The stool I rest my feet on at my high desk was an ugly plastic covered thing that was cracked and split with the little bit of stuffing coming out so I cut three squares from the old quilt batting and cut a bigger square from some left over fabric from one of my skirts, sewed a casing, ran some elastic through it, and voila! New footstool cover.

Jade and I did finish putting her quilt back together last Tuesday. Joanne's (from Cup On The Bus) sister is going to quilt it for us so I need to get it mailed up to her. Here's the front and back.

Not much blooming out there now and what is is not profuse...a couple of the plumerias, the yellow bells, the crepe myrtles, and this little double purple althea.






25 comments:

  1. Those ants are just awful. What's next, a plague of locusts? Sorry it's so hot. This has been a miserable summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid it's the beginning and not a fluke, that every summer is going to be this hot and dry and getting hotter from now on. We haven't gotten our summer rains probably for almost a decade.

      Delete
  2. So glad you found the ant bait things (Terro, I should remember the name). They've worked for me for years. So sorry about your heat. It sounds just miserable! Hope you can get some harvest of pecans...my favorite nut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. after three years in a row of not a single pecan on any tree, this year they are loaded so I have hopes I'll still get a good crop. my neighbor thinks maybe the ones getting dropped are at the top of the trees and getting blasted by the sun. the ones I can see down low seem to be hanging in there.

      Delete
  3. Borax is great. I made a spray of borax, sugar, vinegar and water and eradicated masses of insects trying to eat the siding and baseboards. Gone. They're really upsetting to see marching inside the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they seem to have abandoned the house today. not seeing any at any of the traps.

      Delete
  4. We haven't gotten the ants that bad yet this year. I have no idea why. I'll have to remember Liquid ant baits. I remember when I was a kid my mother would get this stuff called Ant Go. It looked sort of like honey and you'd just squirt little drops of it around. The ants would drink it and take it back to their nests, supposedly and it would poison them. I can't remember how well it worked.
    I can't believe you still have flowers after the summer you've had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just a few stalwarts blooming. I try to keep those watered that are stubborn enough to bloom in this heat. the ants seem to have abandoned the house today.

      Delete
  5. My big outdoor flowerpots often turn into glorified anthills. I found a Youtube video a few years ago that extolled the efficiency of those ant baits. The guy pointed out how expensive they are compared to the relative price of the main ingredient, Borax. He had a recipe. Basically sugar, borax, and water. My problem was to find small containers that would serve. I was pretty successful; many dead ant collections. This year I was lazy and bought the ready made Terro. They do work. I'm glad you have help on your side of the battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, they like to get in my pots too. generally I just try and flush them out. flood the pot 3 or 4 days in a row and they leave though one pot I had to completely bare root the plant and repot it to get rid of the ants.

      Delete
  6. Ooo - love the stool! And the quilt looks great too. Good job on the crafty front.

    I hope your watering works for your trees...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I'm pretty pleased with the stool and when Jade gets her quilt back after I send it off to be quilted, she'll have an heirloom.

      Delete
  7. When the Argentine Ants invade here every year we put out ant traps, plus we put out some vinegar and water things for them to drown in. They love the vinegar and water. Ant season is such a bummer I'm glad your interventions are working. Love seeing that quilt and stool too. Hope all goes well there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the ants seem to have abandoned the house today but I'm sure they'll be back. I've located several places I need to seal.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on a lovely footstool revamp and gorgeous quilt!
    Would it make a difference if you run the sprinkler at night or very early in the day? Farmers here have been doing this to avoid evaporation of the water from the hot ground and due to the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And during last summer's drought we were told to water trees with a direct hose directed very low to the roots just below the tree close to the trunk, some people even dug a small trench for that, again to avoid water loss due to evaporation.

      Delete
    2. I won't run it at night because we're on city water and they charge a lot. I might if I was on a well like most my neighbors. and it doesn't get dark here til 8:30 or so and by then I'm closing up the house for the night. and I don't get up much earlier than 7:30. most of the ground is in shade during the day due to the overlapping canopies of the three trees. watering next to the trunk won't do that much good. I explain why next post.

      Delete
  9. I think these ants issued a declaration of war on you and all their regiments responded. You may need to buy a lot of those traps before you’re done! I hope that terrible heat moderates soon. I can barely imagine it day after day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. today is supposed to be the hottest day with temps gradually decreasing but still in the 90s. the ants seem to have abandoned the house today. probably confabbing for a new attack.

      Delete
  10. I hate ants! We bought some granules that kill fleas, ticks, ants and mosquitoes and broadcast it around our house and the She Shed. Not inside the dog yard fence, so they won't accidentally eat it. Still, the dogs got fleas, but that could have been on the trips. No ants, though. I can't remember the name on the bag, but I think it was an Ortho product. We used it at the RV park, too. We are dry again and I am watering every other day to keep flowers alive and everyday in the veggie garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we've had an occasional foray of ants in the house and I seal up where they are getting in and that's that. but this year it's just constant and from lots of different places. I set out those traps yesterday and they seem to have abandoned the house for now but I'm sure tomorrow or the next day they'll be back.

      Delete
  11. Ants! I use those same ant traps. I also buy their ant spray. It's a seasonal struggle here, because summer is the rainy season and that seems to make them all want to come inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same problem, different cause. they're coming in looking for food and water from the drought, so say the experts. I use an orange oil air freshener spray, organic and kills the fuck out of them.

      Delete
  12. I sincerely hope you have had some rain. never in a million years could I survive your temperatures. I gasp for breath at anything over 26C.
    Ants, heat, draught, gardening (? in 100F?) you are tougher than I've ever been.
    If you dig a low trench round the tree trunk and fill that with water to slowly sicker away you will probably manage to get some of it to the roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope, no rain. less than half an ince one day last week, the first for months. and no, not gardening in this heat, just watering in the mornings and evenings. the arborists here say to water under the canopy, not at the base of the tree. the feeder roots are under the canopy and only big artery roots at the base of the trunk.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.