Tuesday, August 8, 2023

because the extreme heat and drought weren't bad enough...


Everyone I know is sick of this heat and drought. I just looked at the weather forecast. Triple digits for the next seven days, zero chance of rain for the next ten. I am weary of watering every fucking day. I'd let the zinnias which are on their last legs just dry up and die except butterflies are still visiting them.

I haven't walked the dog in weeks but this morning I noticed that the street was mostly in shade so I put the halter on Minnie and off we went. I was sweating profusely by the time we walked to the other end of the street and back even if most of it was in shade. My neighbor Gary has been asking me if my pecan trees have webworms and yes one of the big ones by the house has some about 25' up and the native at the back of the lot has some. He's been telling me that they started at the far end of the street from me and have been moving my way, that the trees at the other end were almost completely denuded, never seen them this bad. I haven't really been worried about it. We usually get a little every year and they don't do much if any damage. Then I walked Minnie this morning and oh my fucking god!

This is horrible! Everyone's trees are covered with pecans, big clusters of fat developing pecans after three years of nothing and now with the trees denuded by the webworms, they might not have the ability to continue to develop the nuts. Or, as Gary says, once the worms die off the trees will try to regenerate using up their reserves that they would use next spring to leaf out. He asked if I wanted him to come and spray the webworms in my tree but the webs are too high for his sprayer to reach.

It's not just that we may all lose our pecans but people are losing their shade. This is a picture of my neighbor's side yard. I don't know if you can really see how much difference a good shade tree makes but the only place the grass is still green is directly under the canopies of those three trees and he's getting webworms in his trees as well.


In other news the bird feeder has been mobbed with white wing doves the last few days. There are 16 in this picture (taken on zoom through a dirty window). 

Also after months of no squirrels on the bird feeder, one bastard of a squirrel has been able to foil my deterrence and for the last three days straight, I have seen it on the bird feeder but have not seen it actually get up there so I don't know how it's doing it. This morning, peanuts and cracked corn and spilled sunflower seeds on the ground and this bastard is sitting on my bird feeder. I moved the ceramic elephant plant stand much farther away in case it was leaping from there and raised the downspout section so it was under the dome by propping it up with bricks but what I really need is a longer section of downspout.



But this morning I saw something unexpected. My bougainvillea froze down during last winter's arctic freeze and never came back and eventually I just quit checking on it but look what I saw today when I was out watering.

Surprise!


 

19 comments:

  1. At least there's one bit of good news in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought as Boud -- one good thing!

    Those webworms are horrible. I remember them from Florida but I don't recall seeing such extreme cases. Still, I suspect it's better not to spray them. Weird question -- is that a grave in the third photo down? What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we aren't going to make it, are we? If we don't at least have shade as the temperatures get hotter and hotter, that'll be it. And of course there is always man-made shade but if the trees die, there goes the planet. Or at least a planet we can survive on.
    Oh Ellen. I get so scared and downhearted.
    Bless that little bougainvillea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish the weather would cool down there. The planet is suffering from all the heat. Hurray for the bougainvillea. It gives us hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohio and Pennsylvania lost ALL their ash trees to web worms, imported from overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the birds and squirrels must also be suffering in that heat. I am sorry to read about the pecan trees. I hope they can recover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Bougainvillea came back so maybe there’s hope for the pecans too. I wonder to what extent vegetation will be able to adapt to changing climatic conditions. The loss of shade must be devastating,

    ReplyDelete
  8. So far it's been the summer from hell, with broken A/C for 16 days and now we've been without power since 4:30 pm on Monday - BUT we aren't having triple digit temps like you are! And those poor trees. It's just one damn thing after another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes on those web worms! I hope the trees recover next year. If the sprayer won't reach, what about a power washer set to the narrowest spray it can do? Or a really long pole? Breaking up the webs allows for predators like birds and wasps to get in and eat the worms. It might also allow whatever spray can get up there to get to the worms.
    The squirrel - look up and around the feeder. If they can get high enough above the feeder on anything that gives them a firm launch pad, they can still cover a distance of 8-10 feet horizontally.
    Yay on the bougainvillea! I still miss the one that the local green house had in their greenhouse. It was such an uplift to walk in and see the wall of hot pink. Sadly, it got removed when the new owners did a clean-up and fixed the greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. May you have beautiful bougainvillea in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry about those trees. Shade is a miracle, so are pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pecan trees with webworms. Why are disasters so much more entertaining in the US than here in Fuddie-Duddie land. Here we just run out of air, crawl into a corner and gasp our last. And with such bad teeth! While you live in a country where caravans are streamlined for extra speed. And are silver-plated. Low groans from Hereford, then silence

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great, that your bougainvillea is coming back. Do you have any tips for making a ground-planted one bloom? A friend has one that's tall and full and green, but she hasn't gotten a bloom from it in three years. I suggested the site might be too wet, or it might need some fertilizer. I've been noticing that our cypress trees aren't producing balls yet; I've only seen one that's fallen, and one on a tree. Last year they produced an enormous crop, so they may simply be resting this year. So far, the webworms haven't shown up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! I forgot to mention that my feeders are covered with white-winged doves, too. I've never seen so many of them at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I immediately cut down the infested branch on our willow, and killed the worms. Their numbers were staggering. I have pictures somewhere, as reminders to get rid of the pests before they have time to spread. I killed them and “disinfected” the ground where they lay. Have not had a repeat appearance.

    Good luck with your pecan trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. early in the summer there was a web on a low branch on one of my pecan trees and I did exactly that, cut it off, bagged it, and put it in the trash. unfortunately the ones that have appeared lately are way to high for me to do anything about. don't have a pressure washer and the 'jet' function on the hose nozzle isn't powerful enough. so I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get worse.

      Delete
  16. Just in case: https://www.bhg.com/gardening/pests/insects-diseases-weeds/stop-fall-webworms-the-organic-way/

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.