Tuesday, July 11, 2023

the last year of my first marriage


Mary Moon's post 
about her early hippie life living days in a shack with her first husband reminded me of my own little living off the grid attempt. I was 23 in 1973 and many decades have passed since and I found I had a hard time with the timeline. I think it's basically correct. I had to reconstruct it based on the jobs I held, 5 in three years, I know the order in which I held them and the one that came before and the one that came after so the summer trip around the US had to be 1973 though the woman who went with us as far as California thinks it was earlier but I'm pretty sure it was not 1972 just a year after we were married.

------------

My first husband and I decided we were going to build a yurt in the woods.


something like this

This was back in 1973. The whole yurt thing came about because the summer of '73 we took a car trip around the country and stayed in a fabulous yurt in the woods of New Hampshire for a couple of nights and we just fell in love with the whole idea of a yurt in the woods. At some point my ex got a line on a landlocked acre in East Texas outside Nacogdoches in the piney woods but I'm fuzzy on when we bought it and I don't remember spending any time there in the winter. We had to open a gate and drive through a pasture to get to it (the law required the land owner to give us access). It had been used for hunting and had a shack on it maybe 15' x 30', 20' x 40' (it's been many decades and my memory of the condition of the thing is fuzzy, size is also a guess) that we shored up and made weather proof but no electricity, no generator, no phone, no running water, no well, no septic system, we pooped and peed outdoors. There was a little creek we could take cold baths in. We had acquired some building materials that we took out there and had actual construction plans for the yurt. Apparently it never occurred to us we would need electricity to build the yurt, I guess we thought we were going to cut all those boards with a hand saw. At first we would go up on weekends but nothing was getting done so at some point we decided that my ex would move up there, see about getting a job in Nacogdoches and start building the yurt while I stayed in the city and worked and join him on weekends. Great plan, right? Except my ex being the druggie rat bastard that he was, no job ever got got, no progress was ever made, he had made friends he hung out with in Nacogdoches.

April of 1974, on my birthday he showed up at my door in the city, had a great plan to solve our marital troubles. We needed to get a divorce but still be together because in his mind things started going downhill after we got married, not because he refused to get a job, that he stayed home all day doing drugs and watching TV in bed, that he would not lift a finger to clean the house or cook while I had a full time job, would not even empty his overflowing ashtray, and wanted an open marriage so he could fuck whoever he could get to stay still long enough. And that suggestion opened a door that could not be closed.

He went back to the property, I stayed in Houston working while I considered the whole divorce thing liking the idea more and more (but not the staying together part) and not joining him on weekends until he showed up again about a month later. Divorce was a bad idea, he had changed his mind, he didn't mean it, and convinced me to give us another try which I foolishly did, quit my job, gave up the cute little house I was living in and we moved the bed, the metal kitchen table and chairs, the stove, and as much other furniture as we could cram in that little shack with zero insulation and a dirt floor, got a propane tank for the stove, used an ice chest for a refrigerator. I planted a very small vegetable garden in that dry red dirt, had to carry water up from the creek to water those little plants, which failed almost immediately. But things did not change. He would be gone all day ostensibly looking for a job while I was isolated out there except for the few times I would go in town to visit friends and get a shower.

I don't remember how many weeks I spent out there in the heat and humidity, but one day while he was gone I packed all my clothes and personal items and when he showed up told him I was filing for divorce, got in my car, and left, moving back in with my parents as I had no job, no money, and no place to live. Went back later with a borrowed truck and a friend when I knew he wasn't there and loaded up all the furniture that was mine. The divorce was final in October. By then he had abandoned the acre and everything still there I guess and taken up with another woman in Galveston. The divorce settlement was simple, no children and all I wanted was what I had brought with me into the marriage, he could have everything we acquired as a couple including the debt still owed on the acre. He eventually moved back to Barrington, Illinois outside Chicago where his family lived. He wasn't completely out of my life though until 1981.

In '75 he had a mutual friend try to pump me for information about why I had divorced him which I declined to revisit. When he found out in '76 I was living with another guy (my now husband) he showed up unannounced and uninvited at our house to check him out. When he found out in '77 I was pregnant with my daughter Sarah, I got an indignant nasty phone call, I had never wanted children with him. The last time I heard from him was in '81 when my son was two. He called one evening drunk or drugged or both wanting me to tell him why I had divorced him, that I had ruined his life, that he hadn't been able to form a steady relationship with anyone since. I wasn't about to get into that with a drunk drugged up rat bastard, simply told him if he didn't get it then he wouldn't get it now and hung up.

Years later when my father died in 1996, the woman my ex had shacked up with in Galveston saw the death notice and called to offer her condolences (we had been acquaintances pre divorce). She filled me in on what she knew of my ex. That's when I found out he had moved back to his mother's house in Illinois, went to work at their family electrical engineering company (at his mother's insistence I'm sure) where he was involved in some kind of accident (probably because he was stoned) and got on disability, hooked up with another druggie who inherited a house from her grandmother or aunt which she sold and they moved to Florida somewhere, living in a trailer. Sounded like the perfect life for him, doing drugs all day, on disability, never has to work, druggie girlfriend with money.



18 comments:

  1. Interesting how so many of us had similar backgrounds. Interesting too that we want to put them out there again. I'd think it's because we were women of the seventies, but then I remember that back in the eighties and nineties, my mother got out our big ole typewriter and began her memories of her teens and twenties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My story is similar but with differences. And because we have children together, I can't go into them all. I will say, though, that the woman he married after me has turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to him. I will also say that we were going to build an octagon house, not a yurt. Same outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those labels could be part of the early adulthood of lots of us, Ellen. You learned a big lesson, moved on, and did very well. Not everyone did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may be a textbook illustration of ‘what doesn’t kill you makes you strong.’ When I look back on my life (and I seldom do) I am struck by the dumb errors of judgement that had adverse consequences. Looking back, the warning signs were there, but I ignored them, and paid the price. That’s probably true for all of us at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you got out of that situation, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting to read how many of us had similar beginnings back in the day. In 1973 my partner and I bought 10 acres of land in southern Oregon and built a cabin on it. We had no electricity or running water, but we did have a wonderful creek and plans for our organic hippie life. Then things went awry as they often do when we're in our early 20s. We learned our lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember yurts! My dad took us to visit the Mother Earth Eco-Village. I was totally fascinated by the whole idea, but being basically a child of the 80s (I graduated high school in 1982) it was outside my realm of existence.

    I'm glad you got out of that marriage - he was DEFINITELY not the one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he served his purpose which was to get me out from under my controlling father's thumb. by the time I moved back in with my parents, I was a fully independent adult and he had no control over me.

      Delete
  8. Interesting narrative. I have timeline remembering issues too! You certainly went through a few adventures with and without this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 70's were a time of adventures for me too. I might be a generation in years older than you, but I sure was doing lots of experimental living then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on escaping your father and the husband. I'm so glad my 20's are over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right? no way I would want to do those years again. or any of them for that matter. I'm good with where i am.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, what a story! I am glad you got free of that and never looked back. A yurt in the woods sounds amazing, the yurt mate not so much. Doesn't it just seem like another life, sometimes, these memories we call back? I often can't believe it was me who did those things, went all those places. But it was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least you didn't try to flee home at 15 and get married! As my daughters pointed out, I wasn't pregnant, so why on earth did I marry? Got a divorce when I was 16 and had his baby when I was barely 17. My mother tried to control my life and take my baby from me, so I left again at 18, married someone else and moved across the country, only to end up returning, pregnant with a second child, divorcing that one, as well after he shared a vereal disease with me. The first one (aka Asshole #1) seemed to think a normal relationship included punching me in the face. Ironically, my mother liked both of them and once wondered what I did to make #1 hit me. I was 19 with two children and no high school diploma. I earned my GED and divorce whe I was 20 and went to nursing school under a government program and graduated in the top two percentile in the country. My mother asked if I couldn'r have done better, not exactly my cheerleader, and told me she had been used enough by me and to get out. I did, already having secured a position as an ER nurse and met #3, HeWho loves me enough to adopt my children. I wasn't looking to ever marry again, but when my mother proclaimed her hatred for him, I replied that it was unfortunate since I planned to marry him. So, when I tell him he is my favorite husband .... it means something!! We sometimes have to dig through all the weeds to find that treasure, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an experience, so glad to read you eventually packed it in and made the move. To a better place! When I think back to my younger self and the way some of the guys treated me - and I let them treat me - I still have to take a deep breath. At least I could teach my daughter some lessons on how to stand up for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so funny how every ne'er-do-well always winds up in Florida.

    Anyway, good for you for realizing you needed to get out. Those yurts were quite a craze for a while, but I haven't heard of anyone living in a yurt recently. (Well, not outside Mongolia, anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my God honey this is Renfield and Dracula shit

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dodged that bullet even though you got hit with shrapnel. Thanks for sharing this story. I love hearing about how we got to where we are now.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.