Friday, July 28, 2023

just a day, same as the other days


Wednesday evening was week three of the current cardio drumming class and it is still so much fun. Only two more weeks left. This was the sky returning home Wednesday evening.



Judging by the number of juvenile cardinals I'm seeing at the bird feeder I'd say this was an excellent year for cardinals.

My gallery called yesterday to invite me to send a piece for their annual anniversary show, 50 of their favorite artists, one piece each. You might remember she called me last year in March about this show because she wanted a box and to give me plenty of time to make it. That was the coral reef box I worked on all last year, well, 4 1/2 months. Anyway, I had to tell her that I have not so much as set foot in the studio since finishing the box and it was just too hot in the studio now to even attempt working over there. You're not retired are you!? I told her that was a question I had been pondering this year but that no I didn't think so, not yet. I don't want you to retire she tells me. So while I have two older pieces I've never sent and am sending her the pics, I may not be represented this year. Which is fine. My interest in the glass art community has waned significantly.

I do have two pieces I've started on the wax models for, if they haven't melted into a puddle by now, though I have abandoned the idea of remaking the luna moth piece and completely abandoned making the comet moth piece. And I have a major piece I want to do comprised of three separate parts for the wall but even if the air conditioner could keep the studio room cool the cold work part and the kiln is in the un-air conditioned part of the shop and I bet it's well over 110 in there without the kiln being on. And then there's the no water part which I haven't addressed yet and don't plan on until working outside isn't an immediate threat of heat stroke. Hell, it's so hot I don't even want to walk across the street much less open up the shop.

I'm still spending my days watering, making sure the bird feeder and bird baths are full, playing games on my phone, reading a bit, streaming shows, currently The Bear which is about a young up and coming chef, Carmen, working in an upscale NY restaurant when his brother commits suicide and he returns home to take over the family sandwich shop to try and save it and make it into something better. Doesn't sound all that interesting does it but it's really good. Two seasons and we're about halfway through season one. What I am still not doing is anything creative. Well, I've been here before and it will pass.

I've mentioned I've been putting raw peanuts in the shell out for the squirrels to help keep them out of our pecans which have suffered another less severe attack. A while back I noticed three little plants in a different part of the little backyard that I had never seen before and didn't know what they were but decided to let them grow until they revealed themselves (not great pictures, a little out of focus).


I happened to notice the other day that one of them had little yellow pea shaped flowers.

I finally looked it up today and I'm growing peanuts! Those squirrels are planting them for future reserves I guess.

And this, Mexican bird of paradise, one of the few things that does not mind the heat and lack of rain.




16 comments:

  1. That is too funny ... Growing peanuts! Are you going to let them grow to see what happens?
    That Mexican bird of Paradise is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you bet! hopefully I'll get more peanuts than I got potatoes this year.

      Delete
  2. I hope things work out with the squirrels and the peanuts and that your pecans survive and thrive.
    I love your flowers, and that cloud with crepuscular rays is truly stunning and beautiful. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pay more attention to watering the peanuts now that I know what they are.

      Delete
  3. The way the heat is going (we have entered the age of global boiling), Mexican Bird of Paradise may be the only flower you will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you may be right. that and the orange cosmos. next 10 days 100˚/101˚.

      Delete
  4. We tried to watch The Bear but it was so frantic (as restaurant kitchens often are) and it was just too much for that moment at least.
    I'm not doing anything outside either although I may try a bit today. A tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, yes, it is that at times but the character developments and their relationships with each other are really poignant as they all try to reconcile with the new situation and each other.

      I just spent over an hour outside this morning watering, that's it. just watering. supposed to hit 100˚ today.

      Delete
  5. I just read yesterday that "The Bear" uses the phrase "Naperville nickel" at some point. So when you hear it, you can think of me as I live in Naperville. The story I read said that no one here seems to know what "Naperville nickel" is though?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we finished season one and I don't recall hearing that but there are so many scenes with people talking over each other that even with captions enabled I'm not getting all the dialog.

      Delete
  6. Oddly enough -- or not -- that Mexican bird of paradise plant always reminds me of the royal poinciana trees that I loved in West Africa. I see that a dwarf poinciana has been bred now, and it's nearly indistinguishable from your plant. They really are beautiful, and seem to be hardy as can be. I'm still managing forward progress in the heat, but I work from 7 or 7:30 to about noon, and then hang it up until around 6 in the evening, when things can actually be rather pleasant if the breeze has kicked up.

    That's funny, about your peanuts. I would have mistaken the flower for a different member of the pea family; it's neat that you have such industrious squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'd love to see you working on a new piece. It has been so interesting following the progress with the last box.
    We loved The Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad grew peanuts one year which made me realize that I really hate getting dirt under my fingernails - SUCH a girly girl. I gave him a card one year where I promised to help him dig potatoes. I felt that was quite a sacrifice. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother grew peanuts. They are really good raw, but they're never available commercially.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We loved "The Bear"! We haven't started season two yet.

    I wish we could grow that Mexican bird of paradise here. I hope you send some work to the art show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful that Mexican bird of paradise is. Your photo makes me want to paint it. Also, I am looking forward to the possibility of following your art process once more, as you create a new piece for that show of favorite artists.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.