Sunday, June 18, 2023

the knee, the ants, and the soul crushing heat


Knee report: still a little swollen, still yellowish green from knee to ankle, still tender to the touch, still have a lump where there shouldn't be one, still does not pain me to walk or bend though it burns a little below the kneecap in the mornings. So later I will go to the online patient portal and send a message to my PC doc explaining with pictures and asking if I need an x-ray.

It has been so hot this past week, mid to high 90˚s with a hot dry wind from the south and getting worse. The next seven days 98˚ – 103˚, mid August temps and it's still just June. Rain is predicted for those same seven days so fingers crossed we'll actually get some because I've been spending my days moving the sprinkler around and it's nearly impossible to keep the things in pots from going into heavy droop every day.

So, with the knee and the heat we've been watching more TV in the afternoons. Currently we're streaming the Last Man On Earth on Hulu, a post-apocalyptic comedy about a virus that killed off the entire human population except him and he drives around the US with a loud speaker putting up signs that say 'alive in Tucson'. Two years later a woman shows up, a week later so does another one. We're only 4 episodes into the first season and there are four seasons. The other show we're watching is The Flight Attendant on Max, a murder thriller about an alcoholic flight attendant who wakes up in the wrong hotel, in the wrong bed, next to a dead man and has no idea what happened. We're 3 episodes into the first of 2 seasons.

The double orange daylilies are done, well, all but a few of the daylilies are done, the elephant garlic allium has gone to seed so I cut them down, the clasping leaved coneflower had also gone to seed so I pulled it out. The zinnias are still blooming. I've been collecting the gone by flowers for next years seeds and omg, I've already got far more than I collected all of last summer.

Here it is the middle of June and I have not so much as gone over to the studio and tidied up after completing and shipping out the last piece I have made of pate de verre cast glass last September and I currently have no desire to go over there and do that or think about new work. Part of that is because I still don't have water over there from last winter's deep freeze that cracked the outside pipe (even though it was wrapped) that brings water into the shop. My first attempt to seal it with FlexSeal paste didn't do the job. I had thought I would apply more but haven't and right now it's heat stroke hot out there (real feel 107˚), hot enough that I will let it be instead of asking Rocky to attend to it. And without water over there there isn't much I can do. I could do some model making but no functioning toilet because no water so I'd either have to pee behind the shop (which I have done many times), run to my sister's house or run home. So once again I wonder if I am completely done with making sculpture out of glass. It doesn't help that my cold working equipment is old and failing and expensive to replace.

Here's the other thing I've been doing...trying to find and seal up where the ants are getting in. Sealed up the pantry and three days later ants were in the dry dog food bowl. Thought they were coming in from under the metal threshold in the doorway between the kitchen and dining area so I pried that up, caulked every crack that even maybe looked like ants could somehow get in from, nailed the threshold strip back down and was good...for two days. This morning they were not only back in the dog food but back in the kitchen cabinet where we keep the oils, vinegars, spices, and baking stuff (I've sealed cracks in there about three other times). So I think I've identified where they are getting into the cabinet this time, way back in the far very hard to reach corner. I can only surmise that ants are teeming inside the walls of this house.

So, yeah, I'm going to caulk the cabinet and then settle down for more streaming.



21 comments:

  1. That heat must be truly debilitating under the best of circumstances, but your sore knee isn’t going to help at all. I think I would have to hibernate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we basically do. it was already 85˚ at 8:10 this morning. I generally go out first thing and then again in the evening with (very) short forays during the day if the dog wants out.

      Delete
  2. That's a fine haul of seeds for next year. Can you stash ant attracting items in the freezer for a spell, and get past ant season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's always ant season. anyway, I think I've finally plugged up all their entrances for now at least.

      Delete
  3. I so hope things improve soon there... cooler temps and your knee feeling much, much better. Please take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this heat wave was only supposed to last about 10 days but the next 10 are also going to be very hot.

      Delete
  4. Different ants (large red, non-biting), different continent (Africa), but my experience was that once you see them in your kitchen press, you have a large colony not too far. Knock on the hollow spaces (often the door jambs in our case) and they'll come out. Good luck. I tried every "nice" way but the nasty chemical spray can was the last and lasting resort.
    Hope your knee is just taking its time and nothing more sinister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an old house and so all the original caulking is wearing out. I think I've got all the current cracks and holes plugged up. so far so good anyway. though I have been considering a pest control inspection.

      Delete
  5. The prolific orange lily (ditch lily) has been banned here as an invasive. We are in a draught and I have to water my pots every day even though we are not as hot as you. Sorry about your art shed, but it will be repaired in the future when the muse calls you again. Glad about your knee healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ditch lily as in common orange daylily? interesting that it is considered invasive. I have a lot but they don't really spread. I think I'm going to have to put up the shade cloth for the big yellow trumpet flower in it's pot as it's too big and heavy for me to move.

      Delete
  6. The heat is, as David said, completely debilitating. I find it best to do a day on and a day off. If I spend some hours outside one day, I'm going to need to stay in the next. It's just too much.
    Ants come and go here. I have no advice.
    You were wise to get in touch with your doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally go out for about 45 minutes when I first get up and then again in the evenings for about the same amount of time. usually to set up the sprinkler and refill the birdbaths, water the pots.

      Delete
  7. Meanwhile, here in NC it's 68 degrees. But the climate's not wonky at all, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are contacting your doc about your knee. Hope you get relief!
    I'm sending some more Democrats your way as my son moves to Texas on Thursday. I think they will be surprised at the HEAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the humidity and hurricanes and our completely unregulated state.

      Delete
  9. I wonder if you have a bone bruise? Those shows sound interesting -- I hadn't heard of either one of them. How do you feel about possibly retiring from glass sculpture? Does it feel like it might be time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's a bone bruise and even though my leg is still bruised the knee is getting better. andI'm conflicted about retiring completely from glass art. I've never been that prolific with the pate de verre as it is a difficult and time consuming process but it has been the one thing I did solely for myself and I have a couple of pieces that I've started on and would like to finish so we'll see.

      Delete
  10. These are the days when I come home from work and crank up music like this. Somehow it cools me down -- or makes me grateful that I'm not living in the concrete and steel jungle now. On the other hand, it can be quite pleasant at 2 a.m.! I'm glad your knee is getting better, even if slowly. That burning seems odd, though. I think I'd consult with the doc, too. It may be that it's a common result of your kind of injury, but I don't remember hearing about such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate ants in my house. I put grits or cornmeal on the beds close to my house and they will abandon their home. The heat is why I chose to move to the mountains. It can get hot here, as well, but so far this year we have yet to turn the air on. I think it just takes longer to heal as we age. My knee is still sporting two bid discolored spots from my fall. HeWho's abdomen has some spectacular bruises from his surgery, but he is on blood thinners. I save seed, too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to the First Official Day of Summer!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.