Tuesday, June 6, 2023

a (not so) hidden danger, a task completed, and being lazy


Cat is hiding in the yellow butterfly ginger next to the bird feeder this morning while the chickadees, a wren, and a cardinal issue their warning calls. 

I had just filled the bird feeder and set out the cracked corn and peanuts. She's been going out with the dog and me first thing in the morning, the dog to do her rounds and take care of business, me checking for stink bugs on the tomatoes, and Cat poking around the flowers and when Minnie and I head back into the house she follows and comes in with us. This morning though it's foggy and wet and I did not go out with the dog and so Cat is hanging out under the ginger having followed me out when I was setting out the bird and squirrel food. The birds have given up. They'll come back after Cat comes in.

Another storm came through yesterday afternoon though we barely got any rain out of it while it poured on the other side of town at my daughter's house. I checked with Abby and then checked the radar and there was a big storm over El Campo so I didn't go to yoga last night. Which is well because grandgirls Jade and Robin came over and y'all will be glad to know that the roof is finally clear of leaves, downed branches, and overhanging limbs from the trees and I did not have to get up there and do it. Jade said she would and so she did. 

She not only shoved all the debris off, she swept it clean and pruned off all the branches from the crepe myrtle, magnolia, 

and chinese fringe flower that were brushing the roof or nearly.

Jade was here and Autumn was in route because they are leaving today for a week or so in Costa Rica to celebrate their birthday on Thursday when they turn 25! Some of you have been reading about these girls from the Granny Camp days and now they are going to be 25.

All these storms blowing through have made our mornings nice and cool though the days are humid and warm up fast. Apparently we're going to have a wet summer this year, far different from the long hot dry one last year when it was already getting into the 90s in February. I'm starting to see little baby pecans falling off the trees which is good I guess, just as long as plenty stick and grow, as my neighbor Gary says if they all developed they would be too heavy and break branches.

We've been watching The White Lotus on HBOMax (which is now just called Max) and watched the last episode of season two last night. The White Lotus is a hotel and the season follows certain of the guests and hotel employees during their week's stay. It's really good but if nudity, including full frontal male nudity, sex, gay sex, offends you then you might not watch it. There's a lot of sex and nudity and early in the first episode of the first season is a close up of a guy holding his penis up jostling his balls because he thinks he has cancer and wants his wife to tell him if they're swollen. The first season is set in Maui, second season (different hotel, same name) is set in Sicily. I know I've emphasized the nudity and sex but it's not really about that. It's mainly about the people with really good character development, their relationships, familial and otherwise, contentious and otherwise, power struggles among themselves and between the haves and the have nots. One character carries over into the second season but both seasons have surprising endings. It's been renewed for a third season which won't be out until the end of the year at the earliest. There's a couple of trailers on youtube if you want to check it out.

And that's about all I know. I went to the Farmer's Market on Saturday and bought some okra, a cantaloupe, a flowering plant with sky blue flowers, 

and a small bag of cookies. Sunday I did some housekeeping, vacuuming the house and cleaning the little bathroom. If I did anything yesterday, I don't remember. I'm in limbo right now, needing to shift my mental energy from outside work to inside work and by that I don't mean housework but some sort of creative work.


 

31 comments:

  1. It stormed two days in a row in our neck of Katy. I slept through the first one and only learned how powerful it was because of fallen willow branches. I sleep with ear plugs now because some neighbors don't sleep at night. I do love storms though.

    Jade and Autumn are awesome. They de-tarnish the negative images we see of many their age.

    I used to have that sky blue flower in our back yard. The name escapes me now. They required very little care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the plan is to put it in a pot on the deck which is in shade almost completely.

      Delete
  2. Yay Jade! I hope she & Autumn have fun on their trip. That flower looks very petunia-ish to me, but I guess it's not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at their itinerary and they have lots of fun stuff planned. so far tree climbing and waterfall rappelling.

      Delete
  3. we are not allowed to get up on our roof anymore- please send Jade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeez Ellen, do you ever have a day or three when you do nothing? I really enjoyed the White Lotus especially season 2 because I have been in Sicily a couple of times and it was lovely to recognise the beaches and towns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not often. I don't sit easily for long, get antsy. even when I'm spending a rainy day reading I have to get up and move around about every half hour. I'm anxiously awaiting season 3. I wonder if they're going to carry over Tanya's storyline following Greg who orchestrated her demise.

      Delete
  5. Well, Happy Birthday to Jade and Autumn! Hope they have a super time in Costa Rica!
    I watched White Lotus but it actually made me pretty sad. So many of the people were just not nice and I found that depressing.
    I love that blue flower and wish I had some in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely some dysfunctional families and people in the show but I thought the characters and situations were pretty reflective of everyday people.

      Delete
  6. I definitely remember Granny Camp! I thought it was so cool. And now look at those girls. I am so glad that Jade got up on the roof for you. I have a feeling that either one of them would go to the ends of the earth for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right?! turning 25, college graduates, world travelers. they are so much freer and have so much more opportunity than we had growing up and at their age. shoot, when I was 25 I had been married for 3 ½ years and divorced for 6 months.

      Delete
  7. I love that Jade got up on the roof and did that work for you. What a sweetheart of a grand-daughter. I hope she and Autumn have a wonderful time in Costa Rica.
    We've been thinking about getting HBO Max, and if we do we'll check out this program. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade is definitely special. the twins have lots of fun stuff planned for their trip.

      Delete
  8. Wish some grands would show up and rake my roof and weed eat the ravine! I have felt sheer exhaustion for the past few days! Just keep jugging along, but I am so tired! Worked a little this morning and now I have several ant bites on my feet. You are lucky to have such responsible granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure if your grands lived close by they would be helping you out. it helps that their parents live here otherwise I probably wouldn't see them as often.

      Delete
  9. Jade is a little treasure. G'ma's roof needs swept? No problem, I'm on it. Clean up included. Indeed I remember Granny Camp. I ran the same outfit myself, and even had the last camper tagging along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jade is here for me and Laura was there for you when you needed her. it's our reward for the time we put in to those girls.

      Delete
  10. Chicago is in a drought with the whole month of May seeing only two or three storms. It's very nice, feels like Northern California with the two seasons of day and night. My suspicion is El Nono is going to bake us alive and it will be similar to summer '88 with lots of 100 plus days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is we live next to a freshwater lake the size of England

      Delete
    2. yeah, gonna be a hot one. though so far not as hot as last year which was long, hot, and dry. supposedly the El Nino is supposed to give us a wetter summer.

      Delete
  11. I really like your little blue flower. I got out my PictureThis app, and it identified it as a shaggy dwarf morning glory: Evolvulus nuttalianus. The app adds "It is easily grown in organically rich, consistently moist, well drained soils in full sun to part shade."
    I'd say you made a good purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have guess it was part of the evolvulus family. it's leaves are totally different but the flowers do last just a day I think.

      Delete
  12. You'd better not let the Christian Reconstructionists know you are watching this kind of stuff. That just about merits the death penalty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I've been unable to get into your site to comment. I keep getting an alert about a trojan, and a message that says a secure connection can't be established. I have no idea what any of that means -- I hope it resolves itself soon.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad I have lived in a time and place in which religion, specifically christianity, did not control our lives and government. it is a very repressive religion. anything that feels good is a sin.

      Delete
  13. We LOVED "The White Lotus," both seasons. It's funny you mention the nudity because I don't remember that at all! I think Jennifer Coolidge is so terrific in those shows.

    I can't believe your granddaughters are 25. That blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Jennifer Coolidge and she's the reason I wanted to watch it. but how could you not remember all the nudity with all the sex, straight and gay?

      Delete
  14. This is just a test to see if blogger is giving me trouble here, too. If this shows up, feel free to ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had 90s in February--my god! Your roof cleaner looks efficient, but I shouldn't think her boots have enough tread on them to allay my worries had I been watching her from the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was last year and it didn't stay that hot, just a couple of weeks. but the summer was hot and long and dry. she didn't seem to be having any trouble. I think the rubber boots have tread on the bottom.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.