Saturday, May 20, 2023

cut the med, cut the hair, cut the grass


Wednesday was my twice yearly follow-up with the electrophysiologist, my afib doctor. The protocol for the medication he has me on is a check in every six months. It's been four years since I had the ablation for flutter and he put me on meds for the afib. The low dose of the sotolol he started with wasn't having much effect so he bumped it up to the higher dose. Now, after 4 years of twice a year visits and ekgs showing a good sinus rhythm each visit he is reducing my med to the lower dose. Says I'll have more energy. More energy?! Seriously, the last thing I need is more energy. That's what my primary care doc said when he put me on thyroid medication those decades ago which at the time I didn't so much as walk from place to place as charged ahead from place to place. And my blood pressure was good so I was glad to have about a half hour waiting before being called in as I could feel it rising as I got into the horrible Houston traffic. I'm glad his office is a couple of exits inside the beltway instead of right smack in the middle of the city.

The other thing I did this week was get my hair cut. When it gets to the point of being put up in a bun or ponytail basically as soon as I get up then what's the point of keeping it long. 

Pulled back in a bun the gray is more apparent.

Besides, it's summer now with the attendant humidity so I went Thursday afternoon. I want something different this time, I told her. I don't know what I want exactly but I want it short, maybe just two inches, I told her. Off my neck, out of my face. Two inches is a bad idea, she says. We looked at pictures of styled cuts. I don't do styling, I don't use product, I'm a wash and let air dry kind of gal. I wasn't looking for a 'look' so basically I told her to just cut it. She started and the first cut was over one ear. My eyes got large, maybe even winced a bit. Should I turn you around til I'm finished she asked. A weak little 'no' from me. Second cut above my other ear, another little wince and maybe a whimper. Are you going to cry she asked. Another weak little 'no' from me. The die was cast and she cut and cut and cut. There was a small animal on the floor when she was done.

I'm reminded of the adage 'be careful what you wish for'. My hair has never been this short. Ever. It's a pixie cut she says. I like the way it feels. I like the way it looks in the back. 

Not too sure about how it looks from the front because of the way my hair curls above my temples. Oh well, I'll get used to it and it will grow out. I did think it would be curlier though.


----------

The riding lawn mower es muerto and the mosquitoes are horrendous out there, big black ones and teeny little ones, hiding in the tall grass waiting for me to wander in the yard. Seriously, they swarm you and run you in the house so today, Friday, I fetched the little electric mower from over at the shop and did the front yard. Took me almost two hours what with all the stopping to toss away the hidden fallen branches and clearing out the shredded grass and leaves clogging it up and the break I took to cool off and drink some water. Tomorrow I'll do the big backyard as far as the heavy duty extension cord will reach.

I have to get up soon to start dinner when what I really want to do is lay down and take a nap. A simple meal...baked cod fillets, buttered new potatoes with dill, and the handful of green beans I picked this morning,

and now that the first Fredericksburg peaches are in maybe a sliced peach too.

And just because they are so glorious, here's another picture of the zinnias.




20 comments:

  1. What? Peaches already? The fruit trees here have only just dropped their blooms. Your hair cut looks good; got mine cut very short a couple of months ago. Never going back to long hair again, although some mornings it sticks up and I look like woody woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your cut. I have no curl whatsoever, just straight flyaway hair. But I am happy with my pixie cut, so much cooler than longer hair. The zinnias are gorgeous, still waiting for my little seedlings to grow a bit more and bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your haircut! It looks so freeing! And you have reminded me that I need to go pick green beans.
    Could I please have some of your energy? Please? Just send it along, I'll gratefully accept it. But really- I'm glad your doctor wants to lower your dose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My points of keeping the hair long when it's always in a bun is - I don't have to keep getting it cut every 6-8 weeks, and growing it out to donate.
    I like your short hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pixie cut looks great on you! It's my cut, too ... Plus the 3 wigs I have are all pixies! I look ridiculous with long hair any more, so I keep what hair I still have short!
    Your zinnias are a wonderful burst of color!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great haircut!!! Also congratulations to the med reduction, long may it work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good haircut. I like it, do you still wonder who IS that in the mirror when you see yourself? When I do Jim's hair with a one blade it takes about a week to get over how short it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those zinnias ARE glorious! And I think the dinner sounds just about perfect.

    I like your hair short, and it will surely be a lot more comfortable in the summer. Good call, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the hair! It's as short as mine is - but I'm heading the other way, trying to grow it back out. Zinnias never fail to lift my spirits :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair is very very good. It suits you, way more than the longer length. I bet it curls more after it recovers from the shock of cutting. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look younger, happier, and free with short hair. Keep posting zinnias until they are done, please. So, more next week, please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your short haircut. I cut my own hair and always keep it short (kinda of like Jamie Lee Curtis's style, I think).
    Oh, I'm in love with zinnias and have to plant some this year...

    ReplyDelete
  13. The thing about a short haircut is that it will always grow back if you don't like it. In 2007 Miriam and I spent almost a month in Bhutan, and knowing that most of the time we would be well beyond the reach of civilization she had a brush cut before we left. Worked perfectly when all you had was a bowl of water outside the tent for washing. And of course it grew back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of my zinnias seemed to quit reseeding this year...I kind of like the cut, but I do wish it was softer over your ears. I am due for a major new haircut and terrified because of the Hawaii anniversary celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I collect the gone by flower heads and then toss the seeds out in the spring.

      Delete
  15. I am glad you were able to cut back on the medication safely, good for you. And i agree with all others about the hair cut, looks very smart, beautiful hair, beans, peaches and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we'll see. I just now got the new lower dose.

      Delete
  16. Short hair is the way to go around here, and your new cut looks really good. It certainly is one good way to deal with our heat and humidity. I wonder if it will begin curling more with time. When I cut mine, it takes a week or so for it to get its act together and realize it's not dealing with all that weight any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phooey. That's me, just above. I choose "google" but it threw me into anonymous anyway. Google doesn't like me!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.