Tuesday, May 9, 2023

what normal life is supposed to be and fuck you, your thoughts and prayers, and your fucking guns


I've decided that the two holes in the yard were vole holes even though I don't see the trails that are supposed to accompany them that pictures show. I know we have had voles before because our cat before Cat would kill them every spring. So Monday I poked an 18” long stick in the one in the big backyard and never hit resistance. I couldn't get the stick very deep in the one in the little backyard because I needed something more flexible so I used an old measuring tape. Still only got about 6 or 8 inches in but I did fish out a big fat toad who was taking refuge in it. Then I used the hose nozzle on 'jet' and never did fill up either hole with water and nothing came running out so I filled both of them with as much dirt as I could pound in.

The other thing I did before I came in hot and sweaty was to finish filling the tub with dirt and planting my velvet okra plants.

As a portent that the Houston sprawl is heading all the way out to us the HEB here in Wharton has been undergoing a massive upgrade and rearrangement for the past few months. Every Tuesday when I do the weekly shop everything is moved from where it was the previous week, it's like a scavenger hunt to find stuff. And I swear last Tuesday they must have had every employee they have there moving products from one spot to another. But there's a lot of craziness too, like the dog and cat food being in 3 different locations, wherever they had space I guess. They're supposed to be done by June, maybe or July but the big surprise which I learned from one of the volunteers at SHARE last Thursday is that we are getting a fresh tortilla machine and a hot and cold sushi bar. A sushi bar...in Wharton? Wow. Whoda thought that would ever happen. But apparently this town is growing despite the original families' attempts to keep that from happening. An incredible amount of new home and apartment building is going on here getting ready for the influx of commuters they expect to inhabit them. We moved out here to get away from the city, away from big city crappy attitudes, taxes, and traffic and while I'm thrilled we're getting a sushi bar, I'm not so thrilled about the apparent reason.

These are my tomato plants. Two heritage and two hybrids, from the left...beefsteak, old german, big boy, black krim.

The close up of the flowers and developing fruit is the beefsteak. Except for last year when no one's tomatoes did well because it got so hot so fast and so dry and I had planted my four in pots instead of the ground and got nothing, this is the first time for beefsteak. I've tried heritage tomatoes before, though I don't remember which ones, but I've never had any luck with them only getting one or two fruits if that and determined that this would be my last try at heritage plants if they didn't produce. Well, the old german has grown taller than me and so far both it and the black krim have some developing fruit but not a lot. The other two don't have a lot either considering how big the plants are.


old german

Another dark overcast day out there today, could possibly rain all day though it isn't now. Well, the thunder has started so I guess the rain won't be far behind. I may not make it to the grocery store today after all (I did). Now it's gotten darker and the wind has picked up. Some rain. And while it is still overcast the storm has passed. Not so much rain but it did cool things down a little.

----------

I'm going to have to start ignoring the news and social media again just for my own mental health and stress levels. Because now that the dust has settled on the latest mass shooting at a mall in Allen, TX that resulted in 8 innocent dead, three of them children; a 3 year old and two sisters 8 and 11 and at least one person with her face shot off; now that thoughts and prayers have been delivered by those who refuse to admit it's the guns, the press wonders what could possibly have been his motive. Are you fucking kidding me? It's the same fucking motive every fucking time, right wing hate and violence. These people want to kill, they want a fucking civil war and no, this is not mental illness, it's what they have been groomed for by the very people who only send useless thoughts and prayers because they want this to happen.

Jeff Tiedrich lays it out clearly. 

Which has led to this.

Our governor said afterwards that he WILL NOT impose any restrictions on guns of any sort in our state after allowing open carry with no license or training even though every fucking time republicans make it easier to buy, own, and open carry, the deaths and violence increases. The republican representative, Keith Self, for the 3rd congressional district in which it took place actually said that the only reason libs want to restrict guns is because they don't believe in god, don't have faith in god's plan for us all. Are you fucking kidding me? God's plan is to have your face shot off, to have children so mangled that parents' need to give DNA samples to know which body is their child's, to be shot down like a rabid dog for ringing a doorbell? You know what republicans think is the proper response to school shootings? Teach third graders, some of whom can't even tie their own shoes, how to field dress wounds. Jesus Fucking Christ.

This country is fucked up. 


19 comments:

  1. they refuse to see what is right in front of them. "Guns don't kill, people do" True enough, but why won't they monitor the people who get the guns? Make it impossible for raging lunatics to own a gun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the news idiot just now was reporting the shooter had 7 guns on him and they were all bought legally. wtf! of course they were bought legally, they're always bought legally. it's legal to buy whatever kind of gun and ammo you want, as many as you want. plonk down your money and walk out with it/them. is it even possible to buy a gun illegally here? also, still don't know his motive. dude he was covered with nazi tattoos, he had a right wing death squad patch on his clothes. JFC.

      Delete
  2. We live near what used to be farmland and ranches with wide acreage and horses and cattle. Then USA News reported that Katy was the best place to raise a family and all hell broke loose. Now it is as dangerous as Houston. More murders happen here than in Houston most days. I no longer walk three miles a day because a man was murdered on the trail we used. It only got worse after that. One day I sat on the patio thinking I was safe behind my locked gate. A man tried to scale the fence and almost succeeded; he was so determined to get at me he broke the top of the fence slat. I calmly stood and told him I was going to call the police. He mocked me, "Oh, she gone call the POlice." But he left. The police didn't even bother taking a report. There are shootings and increased crime that follows Section 8 renters. We have more than our share after many homeowners were forced into foreclosure. Only three of the original homeowners remain in our block. We long for the good old days. I hate what's coming your way. Wharton seems like such an ideal place to live.

    I wonder why the man in the wheelchair thinks he is safe. How can people be so evil? He's proud of what he's done. He's proud of bussing migrants to places like Chicago and New York. I'd think twice if he pleaded with me to pee on his chair wheels if someone set them on fire. Does that make me just as evil?

    Katy-ite



    ReplyDelete
  3. I moved into a retirement community. It never occurred to me to ask the residents their political views, just if they were happy. So now I live in a community that I'm sure has guns in many rooms, though illegal. How did I go one county west and south and land in redneck heaven? I just keep my mouth shut and to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a man and his partner (whom I have not met) who grows a large garden here and who brings his produce to the farmer's market when it's open and he openly carries a pistol on his hip, in a holster, but he carries a gun. I have bought a few things from him but no longer. I do not like what having that gun strapped to his belt means as regards his values and views on life and a civilized society. I see it as a potential threat. don't fuck with me or I'll kill your ass.

      Delete
  4. Yes to "fuck you, your thoughts and prayers, and your fucking guns." When will the country finally scream ENOUGH! ENOUGH! I don't want to think about guns when I'm out at the store. I don't want to think about guns ever. The only balance we have these days is the beauty of our earth, our gardens, and our friends and family. The news is simply too fucking much. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marjorie Taylor Greene immediately put up a tweet after the Allen shooting that blamed immigrants and mental health. After it was revealed that the shooter had social media posted on a Russian site, with photos of his SS lightning bolt tattoos and a swastika on his chest and his identification with Nazis as "his kind of people" the right has been curiously silent. It's the guns, it's always the guns. The guy that "saw a shadow" at night and pulled out his gun and shot a 14 year old in the back of the head as she and her friends were playing hide and seek. It's the easy access to guns. We're a sick country, well half of us, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I have total tomato envy. It's still not warm here, I'm going to be shocked and stunned if we actually get a tomato and it ripens before first frost.

      Delete
  6. I could rail against the gun culture, rail against another mass shooting, but what's the point? It has become a uniquely American way of life, and chilling in its frequency. I only wish it could directly affect some of the politicians who spout thoughts and prayers after each incident and then we'd see whether their priorities would change. And that's a terrible thing to wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Florida, of course, is the same- loosening gun laws to the point that pretty soon it will not be legal NOT to own a gun. It's all just so sick and I really do not quite understand how we got here and yet we are. And you are exactly right- it's ridiculous to even pretend to question the motive of the shooters. Hate and guns. There you go.
    Well, your tomatoes are a joy! I'm so glad you decided to grow some this year.
    As to urban sprawl- I hear that a huge tract of land behind us has been sold to a developer. In Lloyd. My god. Well, people gotta live somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read that comment by Keith Self. Mind-boggling. I have never understood the uniquely American infatuation with firearms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday Ellen!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder how that idiot Keith Self would react if one of his children had her face shot off? Would that be part of "God's plan"? JFC on a motorcycle these people are just plain insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder that myself, would all these politicians who refuse to regulate guns think it was an appropriate sacrifice if it was their kids because they certainly think it is when it's other people's kids.

      sitting in the waiting room to get my teeth cleaned today I listened to a guy using a walker tell another person all the injuries he sustained when an 18 wheeler pulled out in front of him, that the devil was mad at him for preaching but god saw him through. I'm sitting there thinking, no dude, the doctors put you back together and saw you through and if god was watching out for you then why the fuck didn't he prevent that accident in the first place.

      Delete
  11. I really cannot understand that thing about guns. There was a mention in our local news about a teacher who wanted to claim damages for being shot at and it was dismissed because it's considered a workplace hazard???
    Also most intrigued by "old German" tomatoes. Tell me more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know more. that's what the tag called it when I bought the plant. here's what google says: "extraordinarily sweet, yellow flesh with few seeds inside! High on flavor and low on seeds! the big, 1-lb. (454-g), yellow fruit have a luscious red exterior and center. Although it has an odd shape, Old German is one of the best-tasting slicers you can grow." also: "The old German tomato can be traced all the way back to the 1800s. They were grown in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia by the Mennonite community. The community enjoyed them as home-grown tomatoes for over a century. It wasn’t until 1985 that they were first produced for commercial distribution."

      Delete
  12. Those tomato plants look so lush! We haven't had any tomato luck here in NC (our Ohio ones did very well). But it's been a few years since we tried, so maybe we'll give it another shot.

    That gun thing? Totally agree with you 100%

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I can tell you this: the sushi and the butter tortillas at our HEB are glorious. I didn't even know about the butter tortillas until a few weeks ago. They keep them in the place where they put the other warm corn and flour tortillas. They're so good! And the sushi's made in store by people who clearly know what they're doing. I'm not so fond of raw fish, but there are other choices that are tasty.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.