Sunday, May 7, 2023

movie, summer, and mystery


Friday we went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 3 as the rest of my birthday celebration. We're big science fiction and Marvel Universe fans. It was a fine end to the 3 movie franchise with some surprises and we finally learned how Rocket came to be. F
irst time we have been out to a movie in three years.

Friday was also the day we turned on the AC for the first time. Our cool weather is a memory, high in the low 90s, heat index above 100, and humidity. Same on Saturday. I worked outside for about 2 hours, did some watering, fertilized the azaleas, moved the pink angel trumpet to a spot where it gets less direct sun now that it's hot, mixed up some potting soil and compost to finish filling the tub for the two little velvet okra plants from my neighbor. Didn't get it in the tub though since I was already dripping sweat by then and came in wet and peeled my yard work shorts off. As soon as I cooled off a little and stopped sweating I ran to the library for a book I ordered through the interlibrary loan program. Well, I didn't actually run. I drove the car. Later I went back out and pruned out a lot of leaves from the four tomato plants. They're blooming well but not setting much fruit. Out of a cluster of five flowers, one would set so I figured it was just too dense in there, no air circulation and the flowers just weren't getting fertilized well. So we'll see.


long view of the west flower bed (the tomatoes are to the right out of the frame)

Working out in the little backyard, I noticed this hole in the ground. It's a burrow of some sort.


my toe for size reference

There's another one out in the big backyard. I have no idea what sort of creature had dug this hole, what lives down there but Cat is interested too. She was sticking her head down in there and then reached in with her paw.

Today, Sunday, it's supposed to rain all day. No rain yet but it's as dark out there as it can be and still be daylight. Some rumbling thunder though. Oh wait, it's starting to rain lightly now. It's going to be a sit on the couch and read day which is just as well as I have three books out from the library.


 

16 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...a rodent of some sort, I'm guessing? Funny how the cat is so interested. Your flowers are looking great, and well ahead of ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have moles that dig like that.
    I waited way too late to plant my zinnias but they'll be along soon, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the reading with the sound of rain! My cats only ever showed this kind of interest if a mouse, shrew or rat was involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo - pretty flowers! I love those last two photos of Cat. We were supposed to have a rainy weekend, but we haven't seen any yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whether it's a mouse or a vole, whoever lives in that burrow is under threat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have holes like that here in Katy. I think I finally figured it out. I noticed squirrels digging. I've seen acorns. The oak is in the front yard but acorns mysteriously wind up in the back yard. A few have been discovered near the "digs and I watch squirrels eating atop the fence near the holes. They are interrupted once in a while so I tried to Sherlock the situation and came up with this personal deducement. :) The neighbors' cats and even grackles make a squirrel abandon nuts and run. What do you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not squirrel holes from staching nuts. I'm going to probe them today and see how deep and if anything comes out. if nothing comes out I'll pour water down them and then fill them in with dirt. it could be voles, we do have voles but none of the 'vole trails' that an image search turned up. if it's rats, I would think the dog, a rat terrier, would be more interested. but she my be too busy chasing off the cats that wander through.

      Delete
    2. Dang. I thought I'd solved the mystery and the answer to the acorns--including little sprouts. Keep us posted. I have never seen a vole here though.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful flowers! Suck it in while they thrive! Thanks for the adventures of Cat. Kitty is a retired outdoor cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it were here chipmunk would be my guess, but I'm not sure what alternatives might be likely in Texas. If it were a big hole it would like be Ted Cruz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂 A invitation to play whack-a-mole would be offered to all and sundry if it were so.

      Delete
  9. You've reminded me to plant some zinnias - I love those colorful blooms.
    I've enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy also so I can't wait for the newest to come to Netflix or whatever service I can get it on. I don't hear well enough to follow the dialogue in a theater. I use their first soundtrack when I ride my Exercycle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I forgot to tell you. My middle son and his family bought a home in Manvel, TX - about an hour from you. They'll be moving there in June and working in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my condolences. I hope he doesn't mind horrible traffic and constant construction. Texas used to be a great state until the republicans got control and started defunding the public school system, getting rid of safety regulations, and most recently passing a bill that allows the state to investigate parents for child abuse if they support their trans kid, passing a bill that lets the sec of state overthrow election results in only Harris County (votes democrat) and legalizing permitless open carry among other heinous things. mass shooters love texas...yippie ki yo ki yay!

      Delete
  11. Saturday was glorious, Sunday turned drippy, and then they said we were going to have rain all day today. Not a drop. Apparently the folks north of I-l0 are getting it. One of the local picking farms put in blueberries, and they've come in. I haven't been over there to get some yet, but if she's open when I'm available, I sure will. Personally, I'm waiting for her tomatoes to come in. Last year she lost a good bit of the crop because of too much rain -- disappointing, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used to have moles, they would tunnel everywhere. Then the yard would be this lumpy mess. It got worse after Washington passed a law against trapping. Cat is a good looking feline.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.