Saturday, May 27, 2023

summer harvests


If there was any doubt that spring has given way to summer, if the heat, the humidity, and the mosquitos didn't clue you in, last night's and this morning's cicada serenade was certainly proof. Double orange daylilies and ripening tomatoes are also good clues.

These are off the Big Boy and Beefsteak. Not so big, are they. There was also a ripe Old German but we ate that the day I picked it. It was surprising mild, bland even. I also acquired a dozen or so tomatoes of varying size that one of the other volunteers at SHARE brought in from his garden to share with us. There was only an hour left so I assumed everyone had gotten what they wanted and took the whole bag but then one guy wanted two, another volunteer wanted one to eat with her lunch. Take as many as you want I told them.

The Farmer's Market today had three vendors with produce and I got a cantaloupe, 2 cucumbers, a yellow squash, and some okra. I won't buy tomatoes there because the vendors get together and all charge the same amount which is $5 a pound and which I think is robbery. You might get two tomatoes for $5 if they're big, three if smaller unless it's cherries but I don't buy those anyway. I'll wait til the end of the season and see if anyone wants to unload tomatoes if they have any left. I'm just going to make tomato sauce with them.

The 4 dozen ears of corn I requested from my neighbor Leonard's brother's garden came on Thursday, fresh picked that morning. I ordered 4 dozen because my sister asked for a dozen, they're small the guy says so give her five dozen, but then she only took 6 since she had gotten six from the previous corn that Jose had brought us. So minus two bad ones and four that we've eaten, I had another 4 dozen ears on top of the two dozen I had already put up. Friday Marc shucked while I blanched, cut it off the cob, and vacuum sealed it. What we didn't get done yesterday, we finished up today, me blanching and packaging while Marc cut it all off the cobs.

Last Wednesday because my potato plants had yellowed and were dying I dug up my potatoes. Too late planting and then all that rain did not make for a good harvest. I could hold the entire amount in one hand. I'll try again in the fall.

Thursday before I left for SHARE we noticed a vulture eating on something in the ditch in front of the house. When I got home there were about a dozen. Curious as to what had died in my ditch, I shooed them away and looked...an armadillo. Wednesday I had seen quite a few big excavations, bigger than the possum makes looking for food and so now I know what had made them. Unfortunately, the vultures never came back, just one now and then and by Friday afternoon it really stank so after I walked the dog I got the big shovel out, scooped it up, and threw it into the wild space at the back of the property, actually in back of my neighbor to the east's property. He's rarely in residence so I didn't think it mattered. And no I did not take a picture of a dead stinky armadillo but here's a picture of a live one I got off the internet.


photo via https://pestcss.com/armadillos/

Two weeks after my haircut my hair has started to remember some of it's curls and waves, still flat on the sides but in a few more weeks it ought to fill out some though I got lots of compliments at SHARE on Thursday.

This is just a test sentence to see if the blogger mobile app still translates comic sans into something wacky and unreadable.



15 comments:

  1. That's a decent harvest of corn, though not your own. Shame your fellow SHARE volunteers are selling tomatoes for a value to all rather than individual values.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my fellow volunteer was not selling his tomatoes, he brought them to share with the rest of us. it's the vendors at the farmer's market that are selling their tomatoes.

      Delete
  2. It's too bad that the vultures were deprived of their lunch! At least they didn't have to pay exorbitant prices for tomatoes! Human greed is never far below the surface is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking corn there. In a way I'm glad the Farmer's Market tomato sellers aren't trying to undersell each other. But they did choose a rather high price to fix upon. Geese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My garden is just making me sad right now. Each and every tomato is getting yucked up by pests before it ripens. Except for the cherries which do come along. I have a feeling my potatoes are about the same as yours. I have some good looking peppers. We should have planted more. I was going to plant another row of okra but here I am with an effed-up knee.
    Oh well. We are trying. That's what we do isn't it? Keep trying. What else is there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so nice to see all that corn and tomatoes there. Our tomato plants don't even have flowers yet. We've stopped even trying to grow corn here. Not gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My tomatoes and potatoes have only just started to flower . . . The corn looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It wasn't a very exciting secret message in Comic Sans but it did convert and post your ponder. I was so hoping for an exciting secret of some kind.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at least it's not wingdings but still not comic sans. now it's a fancy script. what has blogger got against comic sans?

      Delete
  8. We had temps in the lower 80s last week, but right this minute, at almost 4:30 on Sunday, it's 59 degrees. What the actual heck. I can't wait until we can get some good tomatoes around here, but I think it will be a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know -- what I'm seeing sure looks like comic sans to me, but I'm not that up on fonts. Do you have any tricks for dealing with deer flies? Are they a problem for you? I made a trip to San Bernard this morning, and got run out of the place -- literally. The mosquitoes were horrid, but the deer flies were just as bad. They're not only bigger, their bite is gruesome. At least I figured out why no one else was around -- there wasn't a single person there besides me. Everyone else was smarter, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it shows up as comic sans on my desktop but on my phone it's a flowery script. and no, thank all the gods that we don't have deer flies. the mosquitos are horrible enough.

      Delete
  10. I think your haircut looks very chic! It suits you! Would love to see another picture two weeks in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm seeing Comic sans, at least on my laptop. Blogger is so quirky.

    I just can't bring myself to grow vegetables. I am a wholly impractical gardener.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.