Friday, October 28, 2022

the butterflies


I had a little better luck trying to get pictures of the butterflies later in the day on Tuesday and I saw two more that I hadn't seen in the morning, a crescent which is familiar to me and a julia which I have never seen before.

It was so delightful to stand there while all these butterflies fluttered around me. Some of them looked brand new and some were so tattered I'm surprised they could still fly. I saw several more of the pipevine swallowtail, all tattered like the one this morning.

Here are the pictures I managed to get:


julia (a member of the brush foot family and ranges from Brazil to Texas and Florida)


gulf fritillary


white striped long tail


painted lady (not a very good picture but the only one I was able to get)


white striped long tail and gulf fritillary


pipevine swallowtail


cloudless sulfur


monarch (same picture as last post)


gray hairstreak (this pic is from a different year)

butterflies weren't the only things all over the cosmos.


Here are pictures of the ones I couldn't get a photo of (all lifted off the internet):


buckeye


snout


queen


crescent (this is a Texan crescent which I see frequently but I'm not sure which one I saw the other day)


black swallowtail (again I'm not sure which one I saw but these are common around here)


skipper

If the queen was indeed a queen and not a fritillary then that's 14 different types of butterflies.

Skippers, hairstreaks, crescents, snouts, and long tails are small; painted ladies, buckeyes, and sulfurs are medium on the small side; fritillaries, queens, and pipevines medium; julias, monarchs, and swallowtails being the biggest.

The next day, Wednesday, there were just a hand full of fritillaries and a pipevine swallowtail. Thursday I was gone and Thursday evening clouds started moving in and today is overcast with the threat (promise?) of rain. No butterflies evident today. I guess the migration blew in on the cold front, tanked up, and continued their journey south.

The promised rain is here and really coming down!


 

15 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Such amazing variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I would love to have been in the middle of all that! And I'm glad you're getting rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marvelous gallery of butterflies in your yard. I've never seen some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You sure know your butterflies, Ellen! Such a huge variety visiting your yard. I can never move fast enough to clearly see the butterflies that flutter by me but I know we don't have the varieties you do! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the butterflies you see there. Such beautiful variety of species. We're seeing some here too, but not nearly as many as there. What a wonderful butterfly time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A plethora of butterflies, for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an impressive array of species, Ellen. I wish I had been there to enjoy them with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So now when you ask yourself "Why am I doing this?" you'll know- it's for the butterflies. All that work and look at the results! Just beautiful, Ellen! Now, if only we could get some of that rain...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a Julia either. That's a new one for me. I was going to compliment your buckeye photo until I saw that it came from the web -- LOL! (But compliments to whoever took it.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an amazing variety! The black swallowtail is especially beautiful.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. The snouts make me laugh. I've only ever seen two, but I'm glad to have come across them. Some of these were very familiar, but there are some I've never seen or heard of. You're a living, breathing advertisement for the truth that if you plant it, they will come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I have ever seen this many butterflies at one time and so many different ones! Usually just one or two or three. I just was lucky enough to wander over there at the right moment on the right day. The next day there were still some and the day after that, none. It's a good thing they came through before the rain hit yesterday because so many of the flowers got battered.

      Delete
  12. Oh wow! I have a dear friend who has planted all sorts of butterfly loving plants in her back yard. I'm going to send her a link to this post--she's going to LOVE it!!! LOL Huge thanks and I can't believe the variety of butterflies. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never experienced this before. Some butterflies but never this quantity or variation. Right place, right time. Blessed, yes.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.