Sunday, October 9, 2022

tackling the long list and a new flower


More yard work Friday. I emptied the garden cart and truck on the burnpile and torched it as a burn ban goes into effect on Monday. Then I took the now empty garden cart and went around the yard picking up all the pots that were laying around, some empty, some with dirt but the little plant died, some broken. I repotted and staked up two dragon fruit plants that grew a lot this year, moved the clump of iris that Joanne of Cup On The Bus sent me to a sunnier spot, planted the bearded iris bulbs? rhizomes?
 that I bought this spring that have summered over in pots
 in the same area, pulled up the last of the zinnias, watched two hummingbirds on the porterweed. Then I walked the dog and came in and fixed dinner...smothered steak, mashed potatoes, green beans.

Saturday I went to the Farmer's Market and bought some egg noodles and some velvet okra. The people I buy honey from weren't there and the woman who sells microgreens had just sold her last two containers so two of the things I wanted I didn't get. Then I stopped at the feed store for some lobelia, marigolds, and a new bird feeder but all they had was a little one. Then I stopped at Tractor Supply for what is supposed to be a squirrel proof hood that you hang your bird feeder from.


See the little perch sticking out from the bottom? I added that and one on the other side yesterday after watching a male cardinal try and get at the bird feeder. He would fly at it and then flutter in front and fly back to the photinia. I figured the perching area was too small for him so we'll see if he has better luck today.

Then I repotted a succulent cactus, 3 small pots of begonias into one, and a couple of plumerias. 


Speaking of plumerias, one of my light pink with a yellow throat makes seeds every year and my sister Pam sprouted one and it grew. Apparently plumerias don't seed true to the parent or they crossbreed because the one she grew bloomed this year...small white flowers with a yellow throat.


So maybe it's a cross between the pink
 


and the white bridal bouquet plumeria about 6' away.
 


The flowers on the new plumeria similar, rounded petals instead of pointed, to the bridal bouquet plumeria with the spade shaped leaves and 
thin stalks that grow upright but with more yellow in the throat but the plant itself grows like the pink, thick stalks that spread out with tapered leaves.

Then I dug up and moved some clumps of day lily from the middle of a flower bed to the outside edge, watered everything in, walked the dog and called it a day.

More work out in the yard today. I need to mix more dirt and compost, pot the lobelia and plant the marigolds, weed a section of flower bed, spread out some mulch, re repot a plumeria from yesterday into an even bigger pot, dig up the white butterfly ginger and find a better place for it, divide the bird of paradise and plant half in the ground, plant the bougainvillea in the ground, treat the camellia for whitefly, caulk the seams in the gutters. I won't get it all done of course, it's just my running list.

The cooler weather has perked things up so I'll leave you with flowers. The confederate rose is blooming,


the first flower

as is the yellow bells. I watched a bumble bee going from flower to flower


which is what inspired this piece several years ago.

And the white philippine lily.


 

16 comments:

  1. What a great gardening post. So many plants. Thank you for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you do have energy. Come on up here when you run out of yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely starting to nest for winter! I have done a little, but not nearly as much as you have. I lost my umph for a bit and am getting going again, with Eddie at my heels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will interesting to find out if the squirrel proof hood works. I love your plumeria. We have moved ours indoors as the nights do get very cold now, down to 4C last night. I ordered some newfangled insulation sheeting for the greenhouse so I can move the lemon trees there for the winter. It gets too crowded indoors if we move every plant inside. I'd love to visit your yard and see the variety first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of work! The flowers are very pretty, I do like the Confederate Rose, very floofy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new plumeria - I think it would make a gorgeous bridal bouquet itself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful flower photos, and I love that piece you did several years ago of the bee on the flower. It is so beautiful. I'm looking forward to hearing if the squirrel proof hood works. I hope it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops that anonymous comment is from me, NewRobin13.

      Delete
  8. How I hope that new hood works. If it doesn't, it's because the bastid squirrel will reach for the cardinal perch and use it to hold up his fat backside while he inhales seed. I don't like them, the little bastids! OK, I'm leaving now, but will be back to see that I am right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous flowers. I wish I had half the energy you have just to get outside and take care of my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me know if you defeat the squirrels. You will take your place in history if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phew. You wore me out just reading this. We got home last night and I need to water things here desperately. There's much more to do but that should be number one on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You sure are busy, Ellen. I have to get out into the gardens to pull weeds and I keep putting it off. Our planting season is done here in Illinois so it is just cleanup time now... Soon we will be raking leaves and before we know it - shoveling snow! I have never had to garden all year long like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wondered how long it would take for your burn ban to happen. I can't remember which counties I heard about today, but there were three or four that are putting them in place this week. Our weather gurus say there's a minimal chance of rain this week, but with the 'real' front that's predicted for next week, maybe there could be an inch or two. We'll see.

    Every time I see your plumerias I wish I had mine back. I don't have the sun for them, so it would be futile to even give it a try. I'll have to just enjoy yours. I do remember that piece with the bee and yellow bells. Such a pretty thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word! LOL Talk about a "To Do" list! Thank you so very much for sharing your flower photos. Whenever you share your plumeria photos, it reminds me of my eldest sister, who absolutely loved that plant. I didn't know it put out seeds. Can it be grown in a pot indoors? I think our winters are too severe for it to survive here outside. Hugs and thanks... T

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having read your subsequent post, I now see what you mean about the hood. It IS big and I can see how it might intimidate some birds. I'm glad they're getting used to it!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.