Tuesday, October 11, 2022

another day of labor and a needed break


Sunday, one of the times I was in the big backyard pondering my next move, a red shouldered hawk flew across the Wicked Bitch of the West's vacant property, swooped under the low branch of one of the pecans trees I was standing near, zoomed back up and directly over my head by about three feet and up into the air and into the Wild Space at the back of my property. Whoa! Wings outstretched they are big. I also stood and watched the migrating hummingbirds and butterflies several times as they helped themselves to the porterweed.

I ticked 5 things off my Sunday list and then dug up the monkey grass from under and around the beautyberry and started replanting it under one of the yew trees on the corners of the house. Didn't get that finished as I was done by then.

This was not exactly what I planned for Monday out in the yard and it wasn't even on the list. So much isn't.

What I planned was to fill the spray bottle with brush/stump killer and go around and cut down any hackberry and pecan sprouts that I couldn't pull and treat the little stumps so hopefully they won't come back. Which I did. I did the back, the west side and the front and kept bumping my head on the low branches when I was working around the photinias in front and then I took the long handled pruners and had at it. There are more branches I want to take off but I need the chainsaw for those. Still have to get the little trees on the east side.

So far I have not seen a squirrel trying to overcome the hood and get to the bird feeder but neither have I managed to attract any birds. I think the hood might freak them out a little as the wind causes it to sway. Edit: Finally! Tuesday morning a female cardinal hogged one side while chickadees flitted back and forth on the other. The perches worked! I guess word has gone out because now a titmouse has shown up.

Monday night was a yoga class night and as I was on my way there I got a call from Abby asking would I mind leading the group, that she just really needed to be in a class and not leading it and so I did. She's had a really hard year this year and it looks to be getting worse before it gets better so I was glad to do this for her.

It's Tuesday and I'm kind of glad it is because after 4 days in a row of physical labor out in the yard I am bushed, or as my friend Kathy would say, 'toast'. Tuesdays are busy with other chores, the weekly grocery shop and providing dinner.

Here's Cat. She generally hangs out wherever I'm working in the yard.




 

19 comments:

  1. That garden is huge. So much to do while you can still burn brush. The cat seems to be at home. Cats love to watch people work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lot is a half acre with a lot of trees on it so most of the yard is in shade with flower beds scattered around the edges.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear the birds are giving the hooded feeder a try. The last time I put up a new feeder, it was nearly two weeks before it got the seal of approval. Right now, I want something good for supper, and I don't have a clue what it is. I just know it's not in this house. I should have spent a little time cooking this weekend instead of running the country. Ah, well. There's always takeout -- except my favorite Chinese restaurant went high end Japanese: smaller portions, higher cost, and no cashew chicken. (See? If I'd gone grocery shopping I could have made yours!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an elaborate cauliflower dish planned but just did mustard greens, sauteed onions and yellow squash and leftover pinto beans and cornbread. Easy and good.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that the hooded feeder worked! Yes! I love that you see so many birds there at your feeder. And your close encounter with the red shouldered hawk sound wonderful. What a grand moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far anyway. And yes, it was kind of awesome to have the hawk fly over my head so low.

      Delete
  4. Where did you find beauty berry??? I have not seen it since I was a girl in Jasper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's considered a native down here and grows wild in piney woods. This particular one was growing in my neighbor's yard when we lived in Houston. When we bought that house I moved it into my yard and then when we moved here I brought it with me but it hasn't been doing very well. It did seed two more which are doing better. I thought maybe the monkey grass was choking it out.

      Delete
    2. I envy you. :) The plant grew wild on my grandmother's property too. I will never forget the scent from those pretty berries.

      Delete
  5. Give the squirrels time and they will find a way. They are almost as devious as Donald Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the little bastards are quite clever but I think they may be going after the native pecans which are just now starting to fall. As for Trump, we're all waiting for him to fall. Unfortunately his MAGAt movement seems to be holding on.

      Delete
  6. We've finally gotten our feeder to where the squirrels can't broach it. There's a baffle on the pole and it's set where they can't leap from the tree branches around it. They're so busy picking up pecans that I do not fear they'll starve.
    Maurice lounges about to watch me work outside too. Jack doesn't seem to care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This hood can act as a baffle on a pole too but I don't have a pole, just a shepherd's crook so I've got it hanging from a wire strung between two trees centered too far for them to jump but one little bastard at least walks the wire. No pecans here again for the third year an a row. And not just my trees. I'm beginning to think I'll never get another pecan.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful encounter with the hawk! I see them on poles sometimes, but have never been dived-bombed by one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad Abby has you to help her out. We have a beauty berry bush that my aunt gave us a few years ago, but it hasn't had any berries yet. It was just a little twig when we got it. On the other hand, my dad's are gorgeous right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Squirrels are relentless. We have very few here in Spokane. When we were renting on the west side of the state we bought deer corn for them. The three of us were sequentially laid up in the house, and watching the critters was entertaining. If it hadn't been a rental, we would not have done that. Bad tenant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a challenge every year for us to outsmart the squirrels, but we have thus far. My feeders are now our and you have reminded me that I have to log into Cornell Feeder Watch and register this year for my data input.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cat has a unique look. I like her sweet face. I haven't done a thing in my gardens all week. I have been battleing a headache that will not leave. I should feel guilty, but I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good news about the feeder. I haven't even spent a thought on getting the garden ready for winter. It will all be a massive rush once we get the first frost alarm.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.