Tuesday, October 18, 2022

roulette of the nose, yard work, blooming stuff


Saturday and Sunday, both still hot, all I got accomplished Saturday was getting the rest of the monkey grass planted 


and getting the oxblood lily bulbs that I bought last spring in the ground. Sunday I woke with a bit of a runny nose and a scratchy throat which I ignored and after breakfast I swept the garage and raked the leaves on the concrete apron of the driveway, the rest of which is gravel, into three big piles and then I tackled the barn raking and sweeping the leaves out and neatening it up, getting it ready for leaf season. 


before


after

The oaks and maple and tallows and pecans will start losing their leaves in earnest now.

I was going to spread the three piles of leaves out on the areas where grass doesn't grow on Monday but by Sunday evening I knew I was getting sick, whether it was allergies (which I really don't suffer from), a cold, the flu, or covid I wasn't sure and I didn't sleep well Sunday night, basically had to try and sleep sitting up. The whole right side of my face hurt from my eyeball to my jaw. Monday morning I got out one of the covid test kits that government sent us all on request and it came out negative but according to the package it had expired at the end of July. So I went to the pharmacy and got 4 current test kits, came home, swabbed my nostrils again and still negative. Took some ibuprofen and a benadryl cold medicine knock off and basically laid around in bed all day reading and by evening was feeling better.


cat at my feet


dog at my shoulder

This morning I feel almost well, on the tail end of whatever bug took up residence in my nose. I tried to think where I could have picked it up. SHARE on Thursday and yoga that evening, I think I went to the Evil Empire on Friday but wore a mask, Saturday I went to the Market for honey and tamales and only chatted with three people and then went to the Earth Lab talk at Hesed House on edible native plants. Everyone seemed well so who knows where I picked it up. I'm glad it was just one of those 48 hour things and weird that it only affected half my face.

I think there must have been some squirrel attempts to get to the bird feeder under the hood because I looked out there yesterday and the yellow butterfly ginger was practically laying on the ground. They do lean towards the sun but were more upright so it looks like some squirrel or two went sliding off the hood and onto the ginger underneath. I would have liked to see that.

We got our first real cold front which came in last night. It was only 56˚ at 9 AM and is supposed to get down to 40˚ tonight. It will start warming almost immediately but we'll have a week or more of really nice days. No rain though. Still dry as a bone. I have to do the weekly grocery shop today and fix dinner tonight but I'm going to try and get the three leaf piles spread out in between.

Allright, I need to get going so here's what's blooming...

Firespike among the ginger.


Confederate rose blooms high up, must be 10' (the picture was so dark I had to tinker with it so the colors are a little weird).




Orange cosmos putting on its display.


White phillipine lily doing the same.



 

10 comments:

  1. Supposed to get down to 39 here tonight. It's like 67 right now. Pretty perfect.
    Sounds like whatever cruel bug you had may have affected your sinuses on one side of your face. I think that's possible. Not sure. Whatever- I'm glad it's gone.
    So you're planting monkey grass and I'm pulling it out today. It's the really skinny kind though. That and the damn chenille plant. I'm trying to just clear out around my tea olive which has just about been choked to death. I found another baby tea olive when I cleared one area. I guess it's sprouted up from the mother tree. Nice little surprise.
    Take care, Ellen. Glad you have your nurse animals to help you rest when you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How weird to have a half a nose cold! I'm glad you're feeling better. It would have been hilarious to watch the squirrel slide off the feeder. You need one of those outdoor cameras like Steve Reed has. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your cold was short lived! You make me feel guilty just sitting here! Now I will hike up to me shed and unpack more boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that your Covid test was negative and that you are feeling better. Yay! Take care and stay safe and healthy! Beautiful flowers blooming for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so you know for the future, the FDA has extended the expiration dates on some of the Covid test kits. If you go to their website, they have a list of product names and then you can check the lot # on your box to see if the dates have been extended. There was a 6 month extension on the boxes I have. So your old boxes might still be usable...
    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Mine are still good til the middle of January.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are better. I've had a sore-ish throat all day, but no other symptoms. Ellen D. thanks for the news about expiration dates. I still have all of the tests the government sent out, maybe they're not really expired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy! You accomplished a lot though. It reminds me that I need to tidy up the garage so that we can get the car in there. Winter is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get the same 'infection' throughout the year but I have allergies. If I don't get the nose stopped quickly, it blooms and goes into my chest and then I'm really in trouble. Glad yours healed so quickly. They're the pits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honestly? I'd suspect allergies, and I'm not at all surprised you got only 'half a headful.' My allergies aren't bad, but when they arrive they sometimes take up residence in only half of my sinuses. It's odd, but I suppose it could even be due to which half of my nose is facing into the wind! I had to resort to long pants and a jacket yesterday and this morning, and I suppose the same will be true tomorrow. The wind's laying, though, so tomorrow and Friday ought to be glorious. I'm hoping for a decent sleep tonight. Last night, a neighbor's pit bull ended up getting shut out of the house. It woke me at midnight, and howled and barked until 2 a.m. Sigh. There have been so many complaints about that dog for a variety of reasons; it may finally have crossed the line, since management got a number of emails and calls about it.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.