Wednesday, October 26, 2022

more yard work and a plethora of butterflies


I got all the trees, virginia creeper, and one small grapevine out from under the monster rose and stumps poisoned on Sunday. After I cut the smaller pile of pruning from Saturday into more manageable lengths it took three trips with the garden cart to haul it to the burn pile and that was it, I was done for the day. Still haven't got the compost turned into the ground.

Monday I had two tasks to choose from...getting the compost turned in and vegetable plants planted and dealing with the other large pile of rose pruning. I figured I had the energy and motivation to get one done so I got the compost turned in and broccoli and cauliflower starts in. Then I moved the large pot of bird of paradise to a different location and expanded my little fall garden area. Now I need another bag of compost.

Even though it was overcast it was hot and muggy and I started sweating at breakfast over my oatmeal, hot and sweaty when I came in from my labor outside, sweaty when I got back from walking the dog and not feeling all that great, figured I just overdid it the last three days. Took a shower and felt a little better, got dressed for yoga and sweating and almost sleepy while waiting for time to leave and texted Abby that I wasn't coming to class.

Monday night another cold front blew in and was supposed to bring us much needed rain but if it rained it wasn't much or for very long because the dog did not register it at all. At least it blew out the hot muggy weather. It also blew down a yard full of branches and, in a few cases, some dead limbs so I spent Tuesday afternoon picking up sticks and branches but before that I cut up and hauled the last pile of rose pruning over to the burn pile, three cart loads piled high.

Then I went and did this...


This morning after breakfast I went out in this glorious clear blue sky low humidity pleasant temperature day and picked up more fallen branches and wandered over to the orange cosmos and, while you can't tell from this picture, 

it is swarming with bees and butterflies that are migrating through. I saw one or more long tails, snout, buckeyes, fritillaries, monarchs, sulfurs, painted lady, queen (I think, she was flying away), swallowtails, hairstreak, and a skipper (I think). I haven't seen so many butterflies at once in I can't remember how long, maybe a private river trip in Big Bend during migration in the spring after rain and a rare explosion of wildflowers. I tried to get pictures but they were all in constant motion. The monarchs were the most cooperative.


And this one that I have never seen before and which I followed all over trying to get a good picture and this is the best I could manage. I think it might be a California pipevine swallowtail.

A couple more things blooming...

The yellow bells aka Tecoma sans aka esperanza over in the shop yard, the other monster bush.

The pink trumpet flower shrub/vine in full bloom, also in the shop yard.


And I declare myself completely well.


 

13 comments:

  1. What a garden! and the migrating butterflies are so wonderful. They left us a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your lush blooming garden and all those butterflies. Here we're cleaning it all up and getting ready for winter. Very few flowers blooming at all. It is such a wonderful thing to see all the life still happening there. So very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So we have a lot in common, Ellen. Besides our name, we are both 72 years old, AND we both voted yesterday! I am not the avid gardener you are and you are MUCH better at spotting butterflies! Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best thing you did all day- voted blue! We have mail in voting here which makes it so easy- We both voted yesterday as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really would have liked to experience those butterflies with you. Such a great experience, I am sure. Kudos for voting early. Gotta get rid of those Republican bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just yesterday I noticed migrating non-Monarchs. They were everywhere, by the hundreds, or maybe even thousands. The ones I noticed were Skipper-sized, and orange-brownish, but they were so flitty I could get close enough for a good look. At work, they even were resting on sailboat rigging, but the slightest move toward them would send them flying. Like you, I haven't seen so many butterflies in a good while. Last Saturday there was the kind of mix you mentioned down at the Artist Boat on Galveston Island. It's rich in Turk's cap and blue mistflower, so it's a great stop for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mistflower had already gone by before the butterflies showed up but the bees were all over it when it was blooming.

      Delete
  7. We seem to have had a plethora of butterflies here too this year. It's so good to see them. And yes, it is very hard to capture their pictures. I'm so glad you're feeling ALL WELL! Now try not to kill yourself with all the yard work but I understand. You have a beautiful yard and it takes a lot of work to make it so and keep it so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely lovely! (I think I write that about every other post - ha!). Glad you're well, and glad you voted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to know where the butterflies have gone. But then I seldom spend time in a garden around blooming flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have to wonder if you caught a bit of a bug somewhere but your immune system kicked it. Surely hope so. Take care and thanks for the photos!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.