Friday, September 17, 2021

afib, covid, stupidity, and seasonal things


I was all set to call the EP's office about the continuing afib and Wednesday after breakfast it stopped. Of course it did. So I transitioned into wait and see mode. Midday on Friday, today, I'm still good. But I did break down and call the EP's office anyway, explained what had been happening, when my next appointment was scheduled, that all was good currently, and didn't know what to do. He said he would relay the information, the PA would consult with the EP and call me back. I'm trying not to think about it, create stress to trigger it. Although I don't know what triggered these extended episodes. I haven't felt stressed out about anything lately. So then I tried to document the days on and the days off which was mostly guesswork from my posts and replies to comments but I think basically out of the 11 days between the 5th and the 15th, I was in afib for about 7 of them though not all in a row.

edit: talked to the nurse and I have an appointment for next Friday to come in and discuss options with the EP. She reassured me that it wasn't life threatening, just quality of life issue.

I think I mentioned that I've been wearing my mask at SHARE the last 3 Thursdays (not counting yesterday) because my neighbor and fellow volunteer has yet to get vaccinated, not a political position he says, just hasn't so I think he might be needle shy. Anyway, I walked in yesterday and to my surprise everyone was wearing a mask. Normally only the volunteers who deal with the clients wear a mask. One of the other volunteers, another of my neighbors, vaccinated, has covid, was exposed by her daughter/grandchildren, also all vaccinated, who also came down with it. So she and the unvaxxed neighbor volunteer who hang together are in quarantine. He's been tested but we don't know yet if he's got it or not. It would be a miracle if he didn't or he could be one of those who don't get sick, just shed virus. The good thing is that she was exposed after the last Thursday when we were all at SHARE. A new statistic popped up...1 out of every 500 Americans have died from covid. I wonder what the ratio is of those who have had it vs those who haven't.

My friend Denise in Canada sent me a link to an essay on The Third Force. The first two which seemed to rule us are good vs evil. Now a third force has emerged...stupidity. It's worth the read even if it is a little discouraging. First world human culture has become too easy.

My week break from the studio is going on three weeks now. Today is already blown, tomorrow is the baby shower for Audra, my grandson's SO, and the baby might come in another week. So maybe I'll get over there Sunday. I don't really want to lapse into another uncreative span of time but neither do I want to engage in pedal to the metal either. Surprisingly enough, a more relaxed pace takes more determination.

What else...it's dove hunting season with special days for white wing doves. Today must be one of those days as the birdbath in front was full of white wing doves, a dozen, more, with an equal number on the ground, hidden from the street by the row of red tip photinias across the front of the house. It's hard to get a picture because as soon as I move close to the window they scatter.

And it's oxblood lily time. Two days ago, nary a flower. More should be popping up in the coming week.




13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have an appointment for next week and also really glad to know that it's not life-threatening. Whew, that's good news.
    It's also good news that people are masking up. I worry about the change in the seasons, holidays coming, and all that might follow.
    It's sad to know that people hunt doves. There's something so strange about hunting the symbol of peace. Ah well. We humans are interesting creatures.
    Love that Buddha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am glad you got an appointment and also very glad that the afib has taken a break and let your heart do its normal thing.
    We are all hearing stories about people who were vaccinated getting the virus but not badly. That alone is reason enough to get it, isn't it? Something that feels like a bad cold versus being intubated and perhaps dying? Yeah. I'll take that.
    Stupidity does seem to be as viral as covid and as dangerous. One feeds the other. I'll read that essay later. It sounds like something I need to know.
    Your Buddha and his lilies are a glory. And Ellen- no matter how difficult it is, please try to find a middle path when it comes to activity. I know that's so hard for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad you're going to check the afib situation. It's so typical it would stop when you decide to call. I do think that going fallow is good up to a point, but it becomes an opportunity to be more conscious of health, too, and that's a stressor. Hard to get a balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those lilies certainly are red!
    We must compare notes next Friday! I'm having trouble believing afib is not life threatening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, yes, afib can throw clots which is why he has me on eliquis. that's the key, the magic bullet against clots. there are other decoagulents but apparently this is the queen, the only one he, and the cardiologist before him, will prescribe. no strokes on his watch he tells me. it's stupidly expensive.

      Delete
  5. Afib is a mystery. Some of the most laid back folks have it . Dennis would have, if he were not taking meds for it. It is scary. Having lost both of my parents to Texas medical incompetence, I do not trust it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what med is he on? afib is the most common health ailment in the world. you don't trust Texas medical competence? there are some bad practitioners for sure. my sister's husband's doctor failed to let him know there was a mass in his lung after an x-ray. x-ray doc pointed it out but the doctor never said. he died of metastatic stage 4 lung cancer. I do like my PC and my EP. people have to stay vigilant though and learn as much as they can.

      Delete
  6. Yes, not going through another unproductive time is important here too. Even if I am only quilting half an hour a day, I'm creating something. Your glass pieces are unique and so very special. I'm looking forward to seeing them finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you weren't exposed to covid, and I hope those who did get it will have mild cases. Please let us know how they fare. That 1 in 500 statistic blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was the right decision, to call your doctor and to get that appointment. Well done!

    We've been told by various virologist sources that (based on data from various countries) for a healthy fully vaccinated person a breakthrough infection with covid is mild in 98% of cases with minimal to no risk of hospital stay and, most importantly, an infection will further increase immunity and that a likely, though not definite, future scenario is one of annual waves of covid which will decrease in severity over years reducing it to plain old respiratory infections. This however, is only possible with as fully vaccinated a population as possible and people aged 65 and older (with an aged immune system) as well as risk patients (chronic illness, overweight, on immune suppression meds/chemo) will remain a concern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow... great essay on stupidity, and I began to grasp how some people think the way they do. Kind of scary ... I really identified with the comment about the work history of some of the people who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6th. Unreal...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My big medical tasks for the fall have been taken care of now: the annual flu shot and a pneumonia shot. I thought I had the pneumonia one ticked off my list, but I discovered that there's a new, more effective one that's come out since I had mine (several years ago). The new one is good for a lifetime, so no need to worry about that one again. I do need to get the new and improved shingles vaccine, but that's an expensive one, and since I got the "old" version, I'm not going to push that.

    I loved seeing your lilies. I found a big patch of rain lilies this morning. I'm going to check them tomorrow and see if I can get some more seed from them. I rarely find them at the right time to gather seed, but I think I can with these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you have an appointment - hopefully they can at the very least increase your meds.

    I was at my dad's over the weekend & he has a ton of Oxblood Lilies! So pretty! I kept calling them surprise lilies, but of course those are pink.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.