Monday, September 13, 2021

two excitements



Tropical storm Nicholas is bearing down on the Texas Gulf Coast. The current prediction is we will get the edge of the worst part. Yesterday I figured I'd have most the day today to secure stuff outside, mostly bringing in the top heavy plumerias that fall over far too often and the umbrella and chairs. When I got up this morning just after 8 and looked outside it was dark to the east and dark to the south. Well, shit! So I dashed outside to drag stuff into the barn and bring in two pots to the garage and the chairs and umbrella. I could see it raining over the field to the east and it was coming my way and just as I finished it started raining and I got a little wet. And then about 10 minutes later it stopped and the overcast sky has lightened some. It's supposed to start coming in around 5 PM so not going to yoga tonight. I'm headed to the grocery store after breakfast and then probably won't go out again. I guess I'll work on the next butterfly design instead of starting to fill that last mold.

I did finally get over to the shop yesterday and finished the edge work on the trumpet flower piece so it's done and then I cleaned up and put away all the wax stuff in preparation to start filling the next mold today, but that's not happening.

The grocery store was packed but all the checker stations were open so no waiting. I had a short list anyway and got everything I needed but there were more than a few empty shelves. People are so crazy. This is supposed to be over by Wednesday evening but some people had baskets piled up like this was going to last two weeks or more. The only thing I wanted was for it to not be raining when I headed to the car and it wasn't. Got home, unloaded, decided to make a quick dash to the library which isn't far away. Didn't get far before the light sprinkle turned into a heavy rain so I turned around. Maybe later. OK, later. Got to the library and they are closed for 'inclement weather'. It's not even raining.

There's a neighbor at the far end of the street that has two dogs, fairly big dogs. For a long time they didn't keep them contained, though now they are mostly kept behind a fence, and more than just a few times they have charged at me and Minnie as I approach the end of the street. And when I say charged, I mean running full out and barking, not trotting all waggy tail and friendly faced. I snatch Minnie up and start yelling in my most authoritative voice, No, No and Go Home. So far I haven't actually been attacked, they generally stop about 6' – 8' away and turn around. They live on the other side of Rocky and he'll come out when he hears the commotion though I didn't see him last night. What really pisses me off is that when the adults are out and the dogs are out, they just stand there and watch. So this happened again last night. There were two adults in their yard and they called for the dogs once when they took off towards me full bore across their yard and into the street while I'm yelling no no and go home and holding Minnie who isn't helping one bit barking her fool head off at the approaching dogs once again they just stood there watching the whole thing! They made no effort to go after their dogs.

I passed Rocky in his truck on the street on my way to the grocery store this morning and we stopped to chat. So where the hell were you I asked him. He'd been relaxing in his bedroom watching TV when Melissa started hollering at him to get up and get out there, the dogs were after Ellen. By the time he got to the door it was over and I was already walking up the drive of my friends' house across the street from Rocky who were both out on their porch. I was coming he says.

So that's the excitement around here.


 

19 comments:

  1. Hope that storm passes by you very quickly and that there's no damage in its wake. Take care there and stay safe.
    Bummer about those charging, barking dogs. I wish people would be more conscious about so many things, including their pet dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate people who do not take better care to contain their dogs. We haven't had to deal with anythhing except winds here and that is normal. I always thought I would want to retire near an ocean. Now I just want a babbling brook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems as if all the outside heavy lifting falls to you. I wish you had a helping hand. I know you like outdoor work, but it's a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the husband doesn't do physical labor. when I need help lifting something he'll help me but he just doesn't have the breath for sustained work. he contributes to our lives in plenty of other ways.

      Delete
    2. I eas thinking more of local teens wanting to earn a bit of cash, but maybe that's a thing of the past now.

      Delete
  4. I've watched that storm heading for you, and thought of that time you were the last one out to shelter.
    People who don't teach their dogs manners should not have dogs. They should wear signs that say "I'm an asshole about training my dogs and can't have them."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spray the owners with bear spray or skunk juice, they are responsible for their pooches bad behavior . No excuse for that sort of shenanigan and those dogs could really do major harm, as you well know. Of course the spraying of the owners could start a major fight so , maybe not...Maybe vibe them with your peace love yoga vibe. That would settle them I bet. Stay out of the storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about carrying wasp spray and I have carried a stout pole but it happens so infrequently that I get tired of being encumbered when I walk the dog.

      Delete
  6. i do hope you don't have a rerun of the great flood you had a few years ago!
    I have coped with the issue of loose dogs several times in my years of living here and walking Yorkies. My dogs do not behave well when they encounter other dogs, but mine are always on a leash so that I can control them. Put a big, loose dog on the scene, and there is bedlam. More than once, I've been told by an owner, "Don't worry, he won't hurt them!" Meanwhile, I am holding two wild, yapping dogs. Not fun. The law says dogs should be leashed. I have often carried mace with me. A large dog with no owner in sight is really scary. There was a dog down the block whose owners were letting him patrol with no control. One day as the barking dog approached, the owners happened to come out. I showed them my spray, and said I would hate to use it on their dog, Never again have I seen that dog loose. I wonder if that would work for you. Unless they are the sort that might have a gun?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two excitements too many. As if life isn't full enough. I hope the rain front passes without damage and the dogs, well I would call the authorities here to have them check it out. Are there any kids nearby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we didn't even get any decent rain out of it, just some wind and downed dead branches. as for the dogs we're out in the county and this is Texas so not much I can do unless I want to shoot the dogs and I don't have a gun. Rocky does though and has killed one of their dogs for going after his chickens. his grandkids are little and spend a lot of time there. they got enough complaints that the dogs are usually in the fenced yard. they seem to think the dogs won't hurt anyone and so far they haven't but still, it's unnerving to be charged at like that.

      Delete
  8. Ellen, regarding your dog story... the same thing happened to me when walking my two dogs on our usual walk. I couldn't believe the owner of the two dogs that ran towards me and my dogs just watched. I had to scoop my one little dog up in my arms, afraid one of the two dogs would have him for breakfast. What is wrong with people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it pissed me off. I have to scoop up my little dog. fortunately, it happens rarely.

      Delete
  9. Did you yell at the dog owners and tell them to call their dogs? What jerks.
    Funny we're all so concerned about the dogs and here you are facing a big storm. At least not a hurricane. Still, a tropical storm can cause a lot of rain and wind. Be safe, Ellen. You are a sensible and pragmatic woman when it comes to these things. You will be safe but I'll still be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have in the past, not this time though, too busy yelling at the dogs, plus the people were pretty far away. they have an acre and I was about at the property line and they were on the far side. The storm basically passed us by. didn't even get any decent rain.

      Delete
  10. Oof - I am afraid of big dogs so I'd probably never walk that way (although I did the same thing one time in our neighborhood - yelled NO at a dog that charged me & he didn't follow me. But I never walked that way again).

    Hope Nicholas behaves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got charged by my neighbors' two pit bullish looking dogs today. I don't think they're purebreds, but they're snarly. They do keep them on sturdy leashes, but when the two of them start pulling with a lot of enthusiasm, the woman has a hard time with them. Today, I just backed into my apartment and shut the door until she had them inside. I have no doubt both dogs would be happy to eat whatever they could get ahold of.

    I slept through the whole thing last night. By the time I got up at 6 this morning, the excitement was all over. Good riddance, sez me. I just hate the media when it comes to these storms. Yes, there was rain/surge/wind and yes it did make it to Cat1 status, but so barely it hardly counted. One friend still doesn't have power, but she's way out at the west end of Galveston Island, and isn't perturbed. She says that if they get it back on within 48 hours, she's happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wondered about you and Nicholas. I'm glad it turned out to be nothing much (per your subsequent post). The most annoying part of the dog story is that the owners do nothing. You'd think they'd come and corral them, maybe even engage you in a little conversation. Do the dogs leave their property or stop at the property line? I'd be really irked if they run into the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's no sidewalks so we walk in the street and yeah they come barreling into the street. I guess next time I see the man of the house out in the yard I'll have some words with him.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.