Thursday, September 9, 2021

two days, two flowers


Wednesday...I've been trying to keep current on reading posts, catching up on posts but I do miss some. Time is at a premium when I'm working in the studio. I haven't been sleeping well the last several nights, afib was active for two days, maybe three. It wears on me. Today I woke in afib but it soon settled down, today the first day in a few of a nice sinus rhythm. What a relief. This happens every now and then and it makes me contemplate going through the other ablation. I also contemplate it when I have to pay for the Eliquis (decoagulant) every three months. And while, with the insurance it only costs me over $100 a month instead of $700 month over the counter, when you are on a fixed income that $100+ is not a pittance. I've been wakeful for for three or four hours a night lately, finally falling asleep only right before dawn which makes me sleep late, even later than normal. And so I haven't been good about my home exercise routine and I can tell.

The weather cooled a bit, as in a few degrees but the humidity was not so fierce and so I got most the finish work done on the trumpet flower piece except for finishing the edges which I can do in the AC with the hand held finishing pads. I'm pretty pleased though the shading in the body of the big flower didn't really show up. Now I have to figure out how to mount it. Also, I've been thinking about doing one of the flowers in the next one as the pink version. No forward motion on the luna moth.

Thursday...it was almost almost cool out this morning when I got up at 7. It was definitely more pleasant than it has been. And since the days are getting shorter the sun was still rising and it was a huge red ball casting red light on my windows. The first 15 minutes or so were filled with images and flashes from my dreams last night but nothing gelled into any kind of narrative and Of course even those are gone from my mind by now.

It was another busy day at SHARE. I was refilling baskets non-stop til about 11:30 while the guys were loading carts and cars and putting away pallets of stuff from the food bank. It's amazing how fast my shelves get depleted when we're busy so I was glad of the slow time to restock. I chose not to go over to the shop after lunch today. I only have an hour and a half or so on Thursday afternoons. It would have been time enough to finish the edges on the trumpet flower piece but I opted to monitor and move the sprinkler around instead and I did a little weeding in the daylily bed.

Another picture of the morning glory bush which is, in fact, not a morning glory but Ipomoea carnea, a member of the sweet potato family. The carnea grows tall, has large elongated heart shaped leaves, and roots easily in water. It also comes in white though I've never seen one. There's another plant called bush morning glory that comes in a variety of colors which grows in a low mound and it is from the Convolvulus, or morning glory, family. So there's your botany lesson for the day.



 

20 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing thing with the afib. I know from other friends that it's no picnic. And the flowers are lovely. Also the information. I love a bit of botany thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sorry about that afib. It sounds very scary and challenging. I wish medicine wasn't so expensive. Those pharmaceuticals make so much money. My mom used to get some of her meds from Canada where it was so much less expensive.
    The trumpet flower looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not so scary, just it makes me not feel good. I don't feel particularly bad, just don't feel good and it's tiring. unfortunately there's no generic for the Eliquis even though the original patent expired but they got it extended. I don't know if Canada can get it cheaper for than it already is but maybe I'll check it out. I think maybe I already did.

      Delete
  3. The trumpet flower looks really good. Sorry about the afib, it just sucks the life out of a person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work on the trumpet flower. Be well, friend. Afib is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your morning glory casting is great; afib not so much. I think a pink version will be a nice complement to the yellow flower. Have you tried displaying it as an open flower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the glass is trumpet flower. not sure what you mean by displaying it as an open flower. I intend for it to hang on a wall. I've sort of given up on stands because the guy is just too expensive for me.

      Delete
  6. I was telling Jessie yesterday that the only thing I'm not looking forward to about cooler weather is that then I will have no excuse not to get outside and do all the things I've been using the heat as an excuse not to do! And it's true.
    I wish you didn't have the afib. I know it must be disturbing and worrisome. May it settle back down.
    Your trumpet flower is a glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was so nice out when I first got up I even left the door open. it lasted maybe an hour.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to read about the afib, must be something in the atmosphere bc I have been having afib nights here too. I keep on thinking, one more and I'm back to the doctor - and the it stops.
    Impressive yellow trumpet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a short reprieve, about a day. started back up Wednesday night. still going on. next appointment with the electrophysiologist isn't until Dec. 9.

      Delete
    2. Just take it easy at least, what with the heat and all!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful trumpet flower! Hope the afib settles down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I have some sort of afib going on sometimes, but it's not been enough to really alarm me (and may not, in fact, be actual afib). Sorry yours is still bothering you!

    That trumpet flower is just lovely, and so are the other flowers, whatever they're called!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know, I've had brief bouts of it most of my adult life but they were few and far between and didn't last more than a half hour or so but when we took the twins to Hawaii, it just went off the charts and it's been an issue ever since.

      Delete
  10. That is one lovely sweet potato. Never saw one like that. Thanks for your work in helping others. Many are in need these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your trumpet flower art piece is beautiful! Very sorry to hear about your afib acting up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been collecting photos of native Ipomoeae flowers and hoped to add this one, but I see it's not native here. No matter; it's a real beauty. While I was poking around, I learned that the Spanish name for morning glory is Gloria de la mañana. I love that!

    It has been great to have the humidity down a bit. If we could just get the temperatures to drop a wee bit more, it would be perfect. Is your afib better when the temperatures and such are moderate? I know the heat really takes it out of me, and there have been days in the past month when I hardly could keep going. I don't have afib, though. I think I'm just getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I think it's Mediterranean. Gloria de la mañana is right. re the heat and afib, I don't know. sometimes I think so but we've had hot day when it didn't go haywire. early on I tried to figure out triggers, there are several like alcohol, dehydration, pot, etc eliminating as much as I could with no result. so I figured if it was going to happen anyway I'd go back to drinking and smoking pot. I talked about triggers with the cardiologist and her response was I didn't have any triggers. it seems if I have one it's resting. mostly it doesn't happen when I'm being active or if i'm in afib and get active it settles down but let me sit down with my book at the end of the day and within 5 or 10 minutes it will start up. weird huh. also at night when I'm sleeping. but wasn't this morning nice, cooler even than yesterday morning.

      Delete
  13. The glass piece looks great. I think a version with the pink flower would be an excellent idea. And I can see the shading, for what it's worth.

    That Ipomoea is beautiful! Sorry about your disrupted sleep patterns, especially with the recurrence of the afib. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.