Friday, June 12, 2009

and I'm outta here


OK friends and neighbors.  I’m leaving on a jet plane...  Only I know when I’ll be back again.  Marc and I are off today to upper state NY to teach a 6 day intensive workshop in the pate de verre method of casting glass.  It is the most frustrating, difficult, time consuming, detail oriented (and did I say frustrating?) thing that I have ever done.  It has brought me to tears...literally.  


Pate de verre translated means ‘paste of glass’.  The method we use is a lost wax casting technique.  The glass that goes in the mold is crushed to the consistency of sand or powder.  You can read a quick tutorial (with pictures) of the process here.


The first three days of this workshop are very intense because both items that the students make have to be in the kiln by the end of the third day.  Actually, the first piece has to be in the kiln by the end of the first day.  Then they get two days to work on the second project.  The reason for this is that the pieces have to be in the kiln for three days.  After that we back up and go over the process again and also cover reproduction molds and finish work.


This will be a small class, only three students because, I assume, of the state of the economy.  The workshop is not cheap.  In fact, I am surprised that it wasn’t canceled since one of the students is one of the studio owners.  I don’t see her even making expenses.  But who am I to argue?


We are taking two extra days to visit friends who moved up there last year.  So it won’t be all work.  Two travel days, two play days, six work days.  Emma kitty is not going to be happy.  Fortunately my daughter, s-i-l and grandkids live next door to look after her and Big Mama (the turtle).


I don’t know if I will have time, energy or computer (no laptop in this family) to post while I am gone.  I will miss my blogger friends, miss keeping up on all your doings and thoughts but I shall return.  We’ll be back Monday the 22nd.


So until then, try to get along without me.  Hard, I know.

14 comments:

  1. Best wishes on your Workshop, how nice to share your expertise with others. Enjoy the journey, and the r & r too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You try to have a fun time

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're leaving us? Home alone? Whoa!

    Godspeed ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your time away even if part of it is called "work."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time and look forward to hearing all about it on your return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody. Am enjoying our visit with our friends. Using their computer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun! This type of art is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes to you.. and enjoy the fun part of your trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fascinating to learn more about the art that you do - hope you post some pictures of what your students create!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HEY.............Welcome Home. I watered the plant while you were gone??? Did he make it? xoxo.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.