Monday, January 2, 2023

endings and beginnings


More cleaning up in the yard new year's eve, more piles of debris, smaller ones. The easter lilies had started to come up before the freeze and all the biggest ones froze off but little ones survived and then the small ones, some froze while the ones right next to it didn't for no rhyme or reason that I could figure.

I was sitting at my computer later and I could hear Cat playing in the corner behind me when all of a sudden she started making the most horrible growly yowly sounds. I rushed over to her and she was writhing on the floor. Oh my god! What's wrong! I looked down at her front paw where an anole with a much shortened tail was clamped onto her toe. I reached down and pulled it off and Cat was immediately fine, and I let the thing go outside. Cat, the lion stalking its prey, completely undone by an anole.

With the first loud bang of fireworks Saturday night, Minnie took off headed for the closet in the bedroom. She was already trembly and a little bug eyed from the idiots shooting off their guns earlier (though they may have been hunters) and a few firecrackers. Lightning and thunder doesn't send her to the closet but fireworks do. I didn't see her again until she jumped in bed with me the next morning.

New Year's day I was going through some old posts from 2012 mostly looking for a specific post to backup a comment I was writing where I had documented a cardinal's nest from hatchling to fledgeling (9 days) and I realized I was a much more interesting and better writer back then. 2014 was the year I dedicated to the selfie, taking a selfie every Friday to acclimate myself to my aging wrinkling face. This year with every post I will attach a link to a previous post made on or around the same date. You know just to bore you twice. And so I jumped in the Way Back machine and picked this one from January 1, 2012.  I picked this one because it has a little story of my growing up but also because the second half I could have written today about the state of our polarized nation though I almost picked this one from January 1, 2011 just for the pictures of the sunset.  Oh wait, you get a twofer to begin. Read them or not.

A while later I texted my daughter to see when would be a good time to come visit my grandson Mikey and great grandbaby Paisleigh who are here for a visit with Audra coming in on Wednesday when she texted back that they were on the way to my house now. A few minutes later grandgirl Robin, Mikey and Paisleigh drove up. Paisleigh is a little over a year now and this is the first time I've seen her since they moved to Arkansas last summer. She didn't remember me of course but it didn't take long for her to warm up.

After their visit I thought I would go over and turn the water on at the shop and check for cracked pipes but then decided I didn't want to do that so I thought I would cut back the shell ginger on the east side of the house but decided I didn't want to do that either so I sat on the deck and read the rest of the day. Last night the two new buds opened and this morning I see that two more of the buds have flowers descending. If they open, that will make 7 flowers that opened after I cut the branches.




14 comments:

  1. Happy new year and great idea about the way back machine. I am trying to work up some courage to check the garden. We had two freak frost nights while we were away and I can see the damage. The lemons are probably gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful report for the second day of the year. Are you sure 1994 was the year of the selfie project? I especially love that you followed your true desire and sat on the porch and read. My daughter was born that year and I don't think any of us were blogging then, plus I remember that project, was fascinated by it, and I only started blogging in 2008. I think I need to do just such a project myself, as I am dismayed each morning when I look in the mirror. Is this vanity or just life as we get older? Your great granddaughter is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right! I wasn't even blogging in 1994. What was I thinking? I was only 44 that year. So thanks for pointing that out to me. 60 hit me hard for some reason, hence the selfie project. By the end of the year I had finally accepted my new face. It's getting more wrinkly of course but hey, I'm still alive.

      Delete
  3. Nice to see Paisleigh again. Big girl now. How wise to end up reading, what you in fact felt like doing.
    My two mighty hunters were once suddenly crying and cringing in the bathroom because they'd encountered a toad the size of my thumbnail. They tried excuses like they were taken by surprise, he ambushed them, a likely story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad the flowers are opening after being cut and you're able to get some enjoyment out of them! Maybe you can root the cuttings? It's a cool idea to link back to older posts, not just for us but also to give you an excuse to revisit your earlier blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you got to see and hold your great-grand-daughter. She's such a little cutie, and it's a wonderful way to start the new year. So much love. Sorry to hear about your kitty cat getting bitten by an anole. That was weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anoles don't really have any teeth, just a little serrated edge around their mouth? beak? Anyway, it was not really hurting her in the least.

      Delete
  6. What a darling Paisley is!
    I have never seen a cat under attack by an anole! Serves any cat right- they kill those poor little lizards by the million.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I presume that anole was acting in self defense. I know that cats will track them and try to grab them -- that missing tail's a sign of at least some success. Don't you know that anole's heart rate was up! Your flowers are gorgeous. I'm so glad they opened up for you. It looks like your great-granddaughter's opening up, too. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness!!!!! Talk about a green thumb, yours is green up to your armpit!!!! Utterly amazing. Goodness.... Thanks for sharing this. Awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am fascinated by the revolving door of followers/commenters. Where do we come from? Where do we go?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bested by an anole - I think that cat is a candidate for the Cat Hall of Shame! I am not surprised that your great granddaughter didn't take long to warm up to you. Old cute and young cute together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those flowers are lovely! I'm so glad you are getting blooms from them. Reminds me of your beautiful glasswork of them. Wishing you the best in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paisleigh is adorable! I'm glad you got to visit with her for a while. And those trumpet flowers are gorgeous! I'm off to check out those posts. I wonder if I was following you & if I commented? I used to have more interesting (to me) posts back in the day. I think that was before crochet and iPad games cut into my writing time. That's my story anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.