Sunday, January 8, 2023

girls, cracked pipe, and squirrel bafflement


So what was I planning to write when I sat down last and got hijacked by the hijinks? Just some miscellanea of the past week. I went over to my daughter's house Wednesday and Saturday for more visits with great grandgirl Paisleigh. 

Audra arrived on Friday and the little family is headed back to Arkansas today or maybe tomorrow but Mikey and Audra both have to be back at work on Tuesday. Jade also had come in on Thursday so her dad could add some weather stripping on the hardtop of her jeep she just bought and we spent time together Friday and Saturday until it was time for her to head back.

Friday afternoon I went over to the shop and while I had already looked inside to see if there were any exploded water pipes like last winter (none shattered) I had not yet turned on the water to see if there were any leaks through cracks I couldn't see. So that's what I did, turned on the outdoor shut off valve and then walked through the shop looking for water spraying out. All looked good but as I walked back towards the back door I could hear water gushing. Great. Went out to turn off the water again and that's where the water was coming from. Well, damn, it wasn't like I hadn't insulated and taped up that pipe coming out of the ground and into the shop because I had. It cracked anyway. And it's not like it cracked in a convenient place that would make it easy for me to cut out and replace that section of PVC, no no, it cracked in just about the worst place possible and it wasn't even the pipe but the collar that connects two sections of pipe about 1/2” above the shut off valve that Rocky had repaired last winter.

My plan is to get some FlexSeal paste and goop it up real good and cross my fingers that works, at least long enough for me to have the hose while I torch the burn pile. If that fails then I'll have to call Rocky.

I collected all the piles of debris from around the yard and tossed all that on the burn pile on Friday. Still have yet to cut down the banana trees so I guess I'll do that this next week. All the roses, the azaleas, and the camellia have lost all or nearly all their foliage, even the monster rose bush is nothing but branches and stems. The holly ferns (of which I have many) and the Boston ferns are all brown. They'll come back but it will take two years for them to fill out again and that's if we don't get another winter in the teens next year. The two yew trees are going through a major leaf drop which happened last night. I had just cleared the deck yesterday of oak leaves and today it is covered again with yew leaves as is the ground all around them. The big ponytail palm though is surprisingly intact. Some of the bottom leaves? fronds? have turned brown but all the necks that I can reach are firm.

Today I worked on my latest attempt to keep the squirrels off the bird feeder. The little bastards spill more than they eat and the ground underneath has a thick layer of millet and sunflower seed shells and uneaten sunflower seeds. The shepherd's crook it had been hanging on didn't allow me to attach the 'squirrel proof' hood on the pole underneath the bird feeder and we know that hanging it over the bird feeder from the wire did not prevent at least one squirrel from getting to it. So I bought a new straight pole that came in sections with a piece with arms that slid over the top and clamps down to hold it in place. Then I cut a piece of 1” x 6” and drilled a hole in the middle and pounded that onto the top of the pole and resting on the arms, cut small pieces of lathe and glued them onto the piece of 1” x 6” that hold the bird feeder in place so that it is stable but I can easily lift it off to fill it when needed.

Then I assembled the whole thing, clamping the squirrel hood onto the pole under the bird feeder.

So far so good.



16 comments:

  1. I expect the squirrels sre taking notes and planning their workaround.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably but I have one more trick up my sleeve if they do.

      Delete
  2. Well Boud got here at 6:06 EDST and now it's 8:10 EDST for me to say the same. Let the Games Begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How bad of me to hit publish and not have someone anywhere get the next line. Reading your description of constructing the base of the feeder and attaching the dome left me in no doubt of the plans up your sleeves. Artists are dangerously left-brained!

      Delete
  3. Let us know how it goes in the war against the squirrels. They are devilishly smart creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like we're supposed to get more freezing weather at the end of the week. Here we go again...
    I should send you a picture of our bird feeder. The squirrels have no broached it in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do send me a picture. I checked out forecast and it's only supposed to get down to 41 here.

      Delete
  5. Reading this reminded me of the battles we had with the squirrels when we lived in the Sierra foothills. We finally found the one thing that worked, and it looks a lot like what you have now. I hope it works for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The great-grand baby is adorable - I'm glad you got to spend some more time with her. And good luck with the pipe AND the squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely little girl. What a pity about that pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good ideas of person against squirrels, all in the name of generosity to another breed that is the choice to be fed! I laugh but do know the mess of squirrels. Hope the pipe situation can be fixed easily, if not artistically!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous great grandbaby! I never put up any bird feeders last year after the neighbor told us the bears would flock to them. I found out he has dementia, so I plan to get them out! One day when I am not headed to a hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I went to work last week, things were complicated because some of the pipes in the marina water system had frozen, despite all the draining, etc. The past few years things have come through much better, partly because people learned by sad experience that you really do have to wrap, drain, etc. I noticed today that the house with the Camellia bushes has them unwrapped. They look pretty sad, but given the layers of protection and the lightbulbs they ran out to them, they may recover. The big news here? Robins! Well, in Brazoria County, anyhow. A friend in Fredericksburg has them all over his yard. They probably are my favorite bird, because I grew up with them in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had robins year round in the yard when I lived in Houston. Then we moved out here and I never saw any until a couple of years ago when a big flock moved through and haven't seen any since. I did drain the pipes and wrapped it and taped it up but I guess there was still water in the lower part down by the shut off valve.

      Delete
  11. That looks like a good squirrel system but I bet they'll figure it out. Probably jump onto the feeder from a nearby tree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is hoping that your plants bounce back better than ever. Also may all your plumbing issues be resolved.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.