Friday, January 27, 2023

did I say boring?


This cold windy and wet (at times) weather has produced a boring week. Well, it did have a few exciting? moments. Tuesday was overcast with the threat of high wind (gusts to 30 mph) and heavy rain but I still needed to go to the grocery store so after breakfast I thought I could get there and back before it really got bad. It was just barely sprinkling but the wind was picking up and the closer I got to the store the darker and more threatening the sky looked. By the time I got out of the store it was thundering and the wind had really picked up and it had started to rain lightly. Ran to the car, got the groceries in. I was wet but not soaked. Before I was 1/3 of the way home it was raining hard with hail, halfway home raining so hard with hail I couldn't see. It didn't last all that long, dropped an inch and a half of rain. The same storm produced a tornado on the east side of Houston causing quite a bit of damage. So that was Tuesday.

Wednesday I had just gotten up at 7 AM to go to the bathroom when my phone rang. It was my sister (she's already posted this on her blog) crying, can you come help me. Be right there. When I got there after fighting with my clothes that would not cooperate, she was sitting in a chair with a bloody towel pressed to the back of her head. She had been squatting down in front of her sink, holding onto the edge, to put something in the cabinet beneath when her hand slipped and being off balance she fell backward and conked the back of her head on the freestanding butcher's block behind her. I helped her rinse her hair off in the sink, cut away some of the hair so we could see what was what and what was a 3/4” gash. She decided maybe she ought to go to the emergency room to see if she needed stitches. So we did, only no stitches, no superglue, three staples...kachink kachink kachink...no topical numbing, no nothing. So that was Wednesday.

Thankfully Thursday was uneventful. It was even fairly slow at SHARE. Today, it's still cold out but no wind and while it's mostly overcast it's supposed to clear up some so hopefully I can get over to the shop yard, check my goopy patch on the split water pipe, and maybe torch the burn pile.

So, days late and dollars short and probably dressed inappropriately, here's my rabbit story post in honor of the Lunar New Year. (It's a good story. You should read it.)

A Rabbit Tale



17 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were available to help Pam. That was not a good start to her day, to put it mildly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poor sister! No numbing of the area? That's horrendous! Why?
    Glad you did not perish in the storm. I'm glad I didn't have to go anywhere when we were having that weather.
    Great Bunny story. "So can I get a cat?" Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm - I don't think I ever heard the bunny story during the happening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting times in Texas. The storm sounds bad, glad the other side of Houston got the really terrible weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to leave a comment on Pam's blog, but google won't let me do it. Sorry about your head Pam!

      Delete
  5. Really good that you could be there to help your sister. That wound looks painful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so glad to hear that all y'all are okay and didn't get touched by the tornados that hit various areas outside of Houston. Every time we get high winds lately I wonder who is going to get hit with tornados and I hope it hits an open field somewhere and not someone's home or business. But that never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one awful gash! Glad you were able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I didn't know you had a sister with a blog. I am glad you were able to help her and that her injury wasn't worse. Ouch! Looks painful, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aghh, I get the shivers when I try to imagine the stapling. Hope your sister is getting better really soon.
    Yes, we also had a bunny rabbit which was killed by a fox or a roaming dog inside its protected, or so we thought, night time shelter way back in the garden when we lived in Ireland. My then four year old discovered it in all its bloody neck bitten gory state one morning carrying the carrot treat she would deliver every morning. She reported back that bunny was all dirty and asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oof - the idea of getting staples in my head is just OUCH! I had staples for both of my hip surgeries & although I wasn't awake when they put them in, I was definitely awake when they took them out - OUCH again!

    The bunny tale WAS a good story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How scary for your sister! Does she need to go back to have the staples taken out? Does the wound need to be covered? I have so many questions. Mainly I love that you both live so close and can help each other. I don't have a sister and have always wished I did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great bunny story. So: did she get her cat? I'm glad you missed real storm damage. The tornado that ripped through Deer Park and Pasadena was about 12-15 miles north of me, and you can bet a lot of us were watching that track and crossing our fingers. The best news afterwards was that every animal that was in the pet shelter that had its roof ripped off got into another shelter or a foster home almost immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there's the answer. I have to remember to leave my name every time. Now, they won't even let me use my google account to sign in. Sigh.

      Delete
  13. You commented on one of my comments (Sabine's blog) so I thought I'd return the favour. I was going to bring up Rule Number One in Elmore Leonard's Ten Writing Rules (Never kick off with the weather) but I guess that would be unjustified. The first para is all about the weather and, this being Texas, it's as extreme as everything else in that monster state. So you're off the hook on that.

    But I have another hook though it's only minnow size. In limiting yourself to a world that's a binary state (events are either boring or exciting with nothing in between) you turn blogging into sheer hard work. Between boring and exciting there are amusing, horrifying, piteous, rebarbative, recalcitrant and I don't know what. All with the potential to be written about. If you're in blogging for the long haul - and your style suggests this is the case - you cannot afford to discard these luscious possibilties. All pack full of their own kind of juice.

    You could, f'rinstance, write about Elmore Leonard. Most think his stories are low-life Detroit trash but, boy, isn't he good with dialogue? So good that he can do without rolling hills, jeans with holes at the knees, and the exhaust note of a V8 Chevy.

    So why, you will ask, does this hoity-toity Brit think he can lecture me on how to write? Fact is, I can't. You know how. And you fashioned yourself a great little climax with the staples. In the sixties I did however get paid for improving the prose of US citizens who couldn't write - professors at Berkeley, MIT, OSU but never - as far as I can remember - at Princeton. They were, you might say, to the manor born. Some even sent me grateful letters; sounds unbelievable I know. But true.

    Want to know something unexpected? At age eighty I took up classical singing lessons. Now I'm 87. Actually I'm quite harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Three staples?! Yikes! Does she have to return to get those removed at some point? I assume so. Wonder why they're preferable to stitches? Faster, maybe.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.