Wednesday, August 4, 2021

the clean up and some flowers


Drowned Feather 3 is out of the kiln and cleaned off.

breaking away the mold

most of the plaster cleaned off

in its vinegar bath

ready for the finish work

Notes on using sand vs water to take a volume measure...the sand proved to be dead on accurate. The water usually comes out a little high because unless the mold is totally saturated it will absorb some even as you are pouring it in the mold and then there's the whole surface tension thing. I usually try to do the water measure within a day of the mold being made and I will generally do it three times in a row and use the third value which is always less than the first and second.

When I first opened the kiln and saw the back of the piece I was afraid it had failed because it looked as if the black had boiled. Here we are with the other issue of compatibility, not expansion and contraction, but stiff vs soft. Soft glass melts at a lower temperature, stiff glass needs more heat. In order to make sure the white melted enough to fill the small spaces of the feather Marc fired it at 1550˚.

Here's what the back looks like.


It's supposed to be solid white, you can see how the black and the sand mix boiled up. I was afraid it had pulled too much glass from the rock forms and filled in with the sand or white. But the front proved to be fine.

A few pics from the yard...


mexican bird of paradise


white butterfly ginger


pine cone lily, a ginger (gift from Ms Moon); I took 8 pictures of this trying to get my phone camera to pick up the detail in the white flowers but it doesn't like white flowers


rangoon creeper



begonia

More rain during the night and rumbly out there today.


 

18 comments:

  1. Love watching the progress of your art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that turned out beautiful! I like the spotted back. I am amazed at your talent!!
    Your flowers are so pretty and so new to me - I don't know most of them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like how the piece is coming along. The Mexican birds of paradise are just spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened to the wax? Still a mystery to this interested viewer.

    Your flowers are beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wax was melted out after the mold set, hence lost wax casting. that's what will happen to the wax models of the trumpet flowers too.

      Delete
  5. Oh WOW ellen, That piece of work is just grand!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this piece. Thanks for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look at photos of your artwork and say "Wow" out loud. It's so beautiful. I love what you create.
    Your garden is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The process of your artwork seems magical but I now realize how much science and hard work is involved. Makes me love it even more.
    So glad your pinecone lilies are blooming. Mine are at the exact same stage. I actually got a good picture today. The light must have been just right.
    Every time you post pictures of the rangoon creeper I think, "I gotta get me some of that."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can find a rooted piece I'll send it to you. I tried rooting a cutting but it didn't take. it likes sun though. mine gets probably 8 - 10 hours of full sun.

      Delete
  9. Lovely flowers yet, later in the season.
    So happy the last drowned feather came through!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are stunning! And the glass work is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buried in work I clicked on this in need for some distraction and yeah, found a lot of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even though I sort of knew where you were heading with this piece, I had no idea just how striking it was going to be. By the time it's complete, it may be my favorite (except for all the others). I really do appreciate your taking the time to share the process. It's as interesting as the final product is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well that is gorgeous - well done! I wasn't all that sure about the concept of this one (don't know why), but the end result is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The drowned feather has a strong healing emotional effect on me. Grateful that you are sharing the process which, in itself, reminds me to persevere, trusting the process.

    And the flowers, along with the blue sky and white clouds, are good medicine for me! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad the feather worked out! That mottled back is interesting. I remember when I made pottery how every firing was an adventure -- you could never be sure what was going to come out of the kiln.

    I'm so glad that Rangoon creeper has bounced back from your freeze. (And everything else, too, but I specifically remember you mentioning the creeper.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Each time you show your work I realize it is chemistry and physics as well as art. I see that it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.