Monday, August 23, 2021

almost done


I made it to Lowe's Saturday and came back with a piece of plywood, an assortment of adhesives, flat clear coat for the aluminum (it doesn't rust or tarnish but it does degrade over time), and what they call 'french cleats' in the picture hanging section. Not sure I want to use them as the shape is a little weird so I'll probably go to the frame shop here on Monday and get some of the heavy duty Z-bar she uses which is what I've been using to hang my work. All unused items will be returned to Lowe's. I'm glad I didn't leave any later to head out because as I encountered one short slow down from the continuing construction between here and Rosenberg, on the way back I saw that it was now backed up really far and glad I wasn't stuck in it.

And the first trumpet flower piece went in the kiln Saturday. It will be 5 days before I get a peek at how it turned out.

So Sunday, I tested out the flat clear coat on the small sample of aluminum the guy at the metal shop gave me and I didn't care for it. Definitely like the shine on the aluminum even though only about a half inch all the way around will show so back to the store for some gloss clear coat and test that out. I cut and sanded two pieces of 1/4” plywood to go between the glass and the aluminum to 'float' the glass above the metal and two larger pieces for the back of the aluminum that the hanger will be fastened to but after stacking everything up, I think I like the glass panels directly on the metal instead of floating above it. So then I used the manual flat lap to rough up the backs of the two glass panels and flatten them as they aren't perfectly flat on the back (they're better but they still need some more work). Then I decided which adhesive I'll use, the super industrial strength Loctite which specifically mentions glass, wood, and metal. I also carefully opened the package of one of the 'french cleats' from the picture hanging department and while it says it supports up to 75 pounds I didn't care for the design which sticks out from the wall farther and the top piece only sits about 1/4” deep in the bottom channel. So Monday I'll head over to the frame shop here and get Margaret to cut me 4 six inch lengths of the Z-bar.

french cleat or 'z-bar', bottom piece goes on the wall, top piece goes on the panel

Today I plan to get the clear coat and test it and then coat the metal and finish lapping the panels.

Hopefully Tuesday I'll glue it all together and attach the hanger (with glue and screws) on Wednesday, give it a week to cure, then box it up and ship it out.

This week we will be having our hottest temps yet, maybe even break into triple digits. Still not a single flower on my morning glory vines but I'm not the only one! A FB group about Texas flora had a post about theirs not blooming either and so many replied with the same thing. The general consensus was that all the rain washed away whatever minerals they need to bloom. This little succulent is blooming though.





15 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous flower on that succulent. Morning glory abundantly here, must take a picture.
    I am eagerly awaiting your mounted work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, I am amazed at how much carpentry and technical skills your artwork requires. I feel certain that only other artists and artisans would note and truly appreciate that.
    Hot here too. Just crazy and it's so humid. I just checked the forecast for Las Vegas where my husband is about to and it's all in the triple digits. Low humidity though! Ooh boy.
    Love your succulent bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little flower is wonderful!
    As is your endless decision making and carpentry in the service of your artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your succulent flower! Chocolate starfish came to mind immediately, haha. What a weird little blossom.
    Your art work is so much WORK! No instant gratification there! Step by step , you have to know what you are doing- so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the succulent blossom! They're always so much fun - so many varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had no problem with our morning glory blooming and we had a butt load of rain. It couldn't be the heat either because we have heat to spare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe your morning glories have been watching you work, and it just tired them out. I had to look about four times and read all the comments before I convinced myself that really was a bloom on that succulent. That's just weird/wonderful! Succulents are more interesting and far more varied than I ever imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting bloom on that cactus! Your talk about hanging your work reminds me of the preparations that went into hanging the signage in the Tehachapi Depot Railroad Museum. I was on the Board of Directors and worked directly with the artist who designed the plaques for the various exhibits. She used a special glue that was permanent with a capital 'P'. Consequently, when the decision was made to move some of the exhibits, the signage had to come off the wall. It wasn't easy and it sure wasn't pretty. It left a horrible mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you ever break a piece getting it set to hang? I can imagine how frustrating it would be after all of your hard work. You obviously know what you are doing and your attention to detail keeps your art safe. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always surprised by how much work goes into your very beautiful art. I love learning about all this.
    That succulent flower is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When succulents bloom, they are such a gift. Their blossoms are just amazing. I am looking forward to seeing the piece in its final form.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the strangest bloom I have ever seen.
    Yes, working here too, and while I work I wish I had purchased a long arm machine. I inch along tho.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Succulent flowers always look like space plants to me. So much technical know how goes into your art. How did you learn it all? Can’t wait to see the finished trumpet flower piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a weird-looking flower on that succlent! Is it a euphorbia of some kind?

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.