Friday, November 6, 2020

not official quite yet but unstoppable




I'm feeling better today than I have since I woke up Wednesday morning November 9th to learn that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote but that the electoral college appointed Trump anyway.

We did not watch the election returns this year, my anxiety levels were out the roof, stomach roiling, body in fight or flight all evening. Instead we watched cartoons all night. Wednesday morning I woke up with dread the paramount emotion as I checked the internet to see where we stood. Disappointing results. Biden was ahead but we would not take the Senate so not as good as hoped but not as bad as feared but as the day wore on I became more optimistic. By the end of the day I felt confident that Trump would be gone and that hopefully some of the more moderate republican senators would work with us and not kowtow to McConnell who will, of course, do all he can to obstruct Biden just like he did with Obama. The worst part of it though was finding out how many people voted for Trump again after 4 years of his madness. Since then I've been immersed in Twitter, all else falling by the wayside. (Well, not completely, I've been working on a Square selling site and finally put the studio room in order but more about that later.)

Thursday of course Trump and his campaign were acting out as expected filing dozens of frivolous lawsuits that keep getting thrown out because...frivolous with no standing or evidence of wrongdoing and one of his campaign people even came out and said that they were planning on the Supreme Court and Trump's three justices, counting on Barrett to come through for them and throw out the election. And as the call went out for his supporters to DO SOMETHING they swarmed electoral offices where votes were being counted chanting 'stop the count' where Trump was ahead and 'count the votes' where he was behind (which is exactly what they were doing) while in some places the republican observers were doing their best to interfere with the count by protesting ballot after ballot. Apparently any ballot for Biden was fraudulent but all ballots for Trump were legal. So while Trump gave his worst most lie filled whiney press conference last night as President of the United States claiming that the election had been stolen from him, Biden slowly overtook him in Georgia and the three major networks cut away after just a few minutes or constantly fact checked him.

And today Biden has pulled ahead in Georgia and Pennsylvania, is keeping his leads in Arizona and Nevada as mail in ballots continue to be counted while Trump questions why the mail in ballots are so heavily weighted to Biden after spending months claiming that mail in ballots were illegal and telling his supporters not to use them and a federal judge is forcing the post office to scour their stations for languishing ballots that can still be delivered on time to states that allow it. Unfortunately the 300,000 or so undelivered ballots in Florida are out of play.

Regardless, today I am almost jubilant. Biden has already received the highest popular vote in the history of this country and still counting, Trump is toast, we have a woman Vice President, and the Senate may still be within our reach. Maybe it wasn't a blue tsunami but we obtained the most important objective.

I won't dance until the official proclamation but I fully expect my afib to disappear into the sunset.



16 comments:

  1. Deep breathing....calm, Biden will likely not get much done other than bring normalcy back, due to Senate, but he is like a palate cleanser, a little cream of wheat after four years of junk food. Fingers still crossed as this will go to the court , that was the plan, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will. or rather he may try and take it to the SC but I don't think they will vote to subvert the election. Barrett, Kavanaugh maybe but not a majority. They've already ruled against him on several things. I could be wrong. Georgia will go to an automatic recount I think but with Pennsylvania, Nevada, and Arizona, we won't need Georgia. and the Senate is still a toss up until the run-off elections. and then there is 2022 when we have another chance to take the Senate.

      Delete
  2. Why would we expect Trump to do anything but accuse Democrats of cheating and lying? Meanwhile, I am glad that the networks are finally taking some control over what they broadcast when it comes to his lies but why the hell has it taken them so long?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so much better now. There's still a chance to retake tge senate. The two runoffs are in Stacey Abrams country. In good hands. She just delivered Georgia, so I'm continuing to hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been camping out in the bedroom again. I'll feel better when the race is called and we can celebrate a nice smack in trumps face. I heard the SDNY are preparing charges on trump this morning so that makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm waiting for the official declaration to put my flag out in celebration. It's been put away since Trump was appointed.

      Delete
  5. It does look good, but we're still a little anxious until the results are finally called for Biden's win. It's been a long three days. Just want to exhale and finally be able to feel safe. We're almost there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chatted with the grocery clerk who did my carry-out of groceries and said I would be glad when the virus was over and done with and we could return to normal -- whatever our new normal is going to be. One good step forward is to clean house--the White House!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hasn't this been the most interesting election. I am so proud of us for the enormous number of votes cast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are 100,000+ provisional ballots to be counted in PA. Some, I am told, are mail in but many are those where people brought their mail in ballot to be destroyed and then voted in person. I do not know what to make of that, but it has me getting nervous again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so nice for me to read my thoughts exactly! in what you write. I didn't watch cartoons; I worked puzzles on my iPad. I could have written your entire second paragraph. Especially the sentence about "the worst part...". I just emailed a friend and asked how in the world could 70 million people vote for orange face? After all the atrocities he has committed. I was always an optimist when it came to "the American people". Always believed in our common decency, etc. Well, that illusion is forever gone. Appreciate you, Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so close now that we can taste it! I think Biden's many years of government experience will really help him to get things done. Imagine an administration and cabinet with people who know what they are doing!!??!! No more Jared Kushner and all of the hiring and firing that went on with the current president! Wasn't it outrageous!?
    We can almost breathe again. Thanks for posting my thoughts for me, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've got it, it's uphill from now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You must be dancing, Ellen!! Oh Happy Day! Biden/Harris wins!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let’s dance ellen! Let’s kick up our heels. Biden-Harris woot! I’m so relieved. Happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have you seen this? SO hilarious (your stop the count comment above reminded me of it): https://www.instagram.com/p/CHSseVbhbtg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.