Tuesday, November 3, 2020

burning the burn pile and clearing fences


Last week I tackled the big pile of branches I cut off the limb, trimming them down to stack and pile more compactly. Did what looked like a truck load and there it sat waiting for a still day. In the meantime I asked my neighbor on the other side if I could drive across his acre to my back yard to collect the pile and he said yes and even offered me to put the debris on his burn pile. Nice of him but it's just too much. So I picked up the two bundles from the two front fence sections I did this week and added them to the burn pile over at the shop and then collected the truck load of branches and dumped that and then torched the whole thing and waited til it was mostly just smoldering and went back to the pile of branches, trimmed down another truck load and dumped it on the smoldering pile and monitored it til it was mostly smoldering, went in for lunch and then did the last truckload of branches and dumped that on the smoldering pile and watched while it went up in flames. So, three truck loads to get rid of the branches. Now I just have the limb itself to cut up in manageable pieces and haul to the burn pile. And that's pretty much all I've done this week since I spent three days at SHARE for the meeting, the training, and then the regular volunteer day.

And no I still have not gone over to the shop and finished setting up the studio. Cool weather days were spent working outside. But perhaps this weekend. Or I may tackle the limb or maybe both.

----------

Of the three tasks, I have completed one. I have dealt with the huge limb that fell, miraculously, at the end of the long day lily bed and without damaging anything. Saturday I got out the chainsaw and cut the limb up into about a dozen pieces. They got progressively larger as I tired and the two biggest were, of course, at the biggest end. I needed help getting them in the truck but I could carry them to the pile. Which I did but not before I took the heavy rake and spread out the ashes. It had become a fairly good sized mound so now the limb and the other brush I've been dealing with (like the side fence and cleaning up around the daylilies) is sitting in the center of a huge ash circle. A good rain will take care of that.


Sunday it was warmer but still not too bad so I did another section of the front fence only at the other end where the culvert is under the entrance to the property. The culvert was completely covered by dead stuff. Clearing all that stuff away from the fence, the culvert, and the street side was the equivalent of three fence sections I'm convinced.

My arms from the wrists to elbows look like I stuck them in a box of feral kittens from all the dewberry brambles. I did that end because I'm encountering poison ivy and I, gasp, sprayed it with poison the other day and I'm waiting for it to die so I started at the other end.

Re your comments about how much hard work I'm doing, I like physical labor even though it can make me tired and sore. I like being outside. I like to dig in the gardens, crumble the clods. I liked that even more before I got arthritis in my thumb joints but I still do it. Working hard and making a visible difference gives me satisfaction. And I'm of an age where once I stop engaging in physical activity, soon I won't be able to. Last week on my volunteer day I was restocking cans of food at the station where I generally work lifting a cardboard tray of about 24 cans of something onto a high shelf when I turned and saw one of the male volunteers, who is also my neighbor, standing nearby watching me and he made some comment about not being a chauvinist and intervening. He knows me. If I need or want help, I'll ask for it

Well, today's the day. We rejoice or we cry.



14 comments:

  1. Well done! One thing about doing all of that hard work yourself is that you feel so satisfied when you are finished! Good job!
    Here's hoping that we will be rejoicing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so much yard area. I'm jealous. I would turn some of that into a nice little veggie garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some really nice raised beds that got ruined by and taken over by weeds after Harvey. I hope to get new ones set up for a spring garden.

      Delete
  3. I have at least that much yard work I could do but haven't tackled any of it yet. You're a hell of a strong woman, Ellen.
    Today we've got the little boys over and I'm making soup stock with a venison roast bone. That's helping my peace of mind. Piece of mind? Whatever tiny piece I have left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work there, Ellen. I like what your co-worker/neighbor said. It's true about hard physical work keeping our bodies ready to keep at it. I tend to be lazier, but not completely a couch potato. LOL. Today is the day. I'm hoping for an indisputable landslide and a sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of work. Our last two houses finished me off for that kind of labor, no mas! I am so nervous and anxious, my skin is sort of crawling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our two single neighbor ladies are made of the same stuff you are. They've been working cutting up & burning the two trees that fell at the edge of our property. Our landlord didn't even have time to see if the trees were on our side of the line before they were gone. In the meantime, I swept all the acorns off the carport & picked up limbs & twigs from the yard, and then had to take to my couch :)

    You are so right about not stopping. I have never been physically strong, except for my hand grip. But now that's going away too. I don't think it's too late, but it will require that I make a plan and actually DO SOMETHING about it. As soon as this election is over. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that you need to keep moving, to whatever extent you can, or you'll lose the ability. I know too many people who've moved to one floor places and in a couple of months, they can't climb stairs. I still go up two flights regularly, and I think that's why I'm still able to go up two flights regularly. I do a bit even when I really don't feel like it. I admire your physical strength, never had that, but we each can push our own limits a bit. Better than falling apart, I would guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My arthritic left thumb finally was shooting pain all the way to the shoulder. My pain doctor injected cortisone and I've been able to carry on ever since.
    I hope we're going big.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holding my breath tonight... keeping everything crossed that's humanly possible. Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done and excellent attitude about moving and all that. I would love a good bonfire, even a small one in a drum but we are only allowed tiny little decorative bbq things, nothing involving garden waste.
    I don't even want to check the news. What insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do amazing things...bravo. No burning here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just today, I saw a lot of smoke on the other side of the Bay, over in Chambers County. I assume they were doing some prescribed burns over at the Anahuac refuge. It's been perfect weather for it, with almost no wind, bright sunshine, and a bit of humidity now that the wind's turned to the east.

    Like you, I enjoy physical labor. I guess I wouldn't still be working on boats if I didn't. I like being outdoors, and I like seeing what I've accomplished at the end of the day. Sometimes it's a lot, and sometimes it isn't, but it's still nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Wish you lived next door. If you needed exercise I could call! Cannot rejoice even if my candidate wins. It is going to be a slow and awful few years.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.