Sunday, July 5, 2020

week 16


Not much to report or else it just hasn't come across my newsfeed.

The death rate seems to be declining due to health care professionals learning how better to treat patients but with this surge in cases we are likely to see a surge in deaths. There is still no cure and no vaccine. There are still those who have mild to no symptoms that apparently suffer no lasting effects but what isn't really being reported by the news media is that younger people are getting it and are getting sicker. There are people in the 20 – 40, 40 – 60 age groups that aren't sick enough to be hospitalized but they aren't getting well either suffering for months with the virus. What the news also isn't reporting is the long term effects of this virus even after you recover. The damage it does to our organs doesn't go away.

----------

All those states that were over eager to reopen are surging in new cases. Texas vies with Florida for third place in the most cases. Right now Florida is third having seen over 10,000 new cases every day for the past week. Texas is seeing 8,000+ a day of new cases to the point where Governor Abbott finally issued a statewide face mask mandate. But the cows are already out of the barn. Forty of our 50 states are seeing a rise in cases connected to reopening of businesses and beaches.

----------

Trump's new approach to the virus is we just have to learn to 'live with it' even though Don Jr.'s girlfriend has been diagnosed with it. Trump continues to lie about the severity and none of his minions who know better will go on record disagreeing with him.

----------

Apparently there has been some disagreement among health care officials about how the virus is transmitted, either by surface contact or airborne aerosols. Epidemiologists and aerosol scientists have been saying it is transmitted by aerosols for months but the WHO has stubbornly refused to accept the mounting evidence. Now 239 scientists have penned a letter to WHO, coming out next week, demanding the WHO acknowledge that the virus is spread by aerosols (respiration, coughing, sneezing droplets).

----------

My county is up to 230 cases total. And even closer to home I learned several days ago that one of our neighbors was diagnosed with the virus about a week and a half ago though he is one of the lucky ones with very mild symptoms which only lasted a few days. He is still in home quarantine.

----------

Current US statistics as of today 7/5/20, 18:33 GMT (last fourteen weeks' totals in parenthesis): cases – 2,964,797 (2,610,399, 2,332,056, 2,143,646, 1,992,453, 1,837,525, 1,685,367, 1,512,267, 1,384,681, 1,168985, 976,403, 741,230, 534,494, 312,223, 123,958, 38,757); deaths – 132,473 (128,211, 122,020, 117,542, 112,141, 106,190, 99,286, 90,206, 81,724, 67,954, 54,965, 39,103, 20,637, 8,483, 2,231, 400).




14 comments:

  1. We are so screwed, I just can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the Republicans don't intend to have their convention in your state. You can imagine how many, many people feel about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the cliff note version of Umurka today, makes it seem more digestible. What a crazy assed ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you can make sense of the statistics, so I can make marginal sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guadalupe county has now reported 3 deaths 849 sick. Stupid people need to mask it or casket.
    I can't wait to see what will happen in November.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can no longer think that there will better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know no one who has it...yet. I go out to shop and get mail and that is all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We live in a big county with small population, so our numbers are pretty good here. Big fear is summertime travelers looking to get out into the redwoods and beautiful coast here. Then fall when students return to the university. Even with most classes being online, I worry... This is so not what I expected to happen in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I go out and get groceries. Today we are having a pasta salad with our meatloaf, and I need red onion and green pepper to go in it. I will wear my mask so my salad doesn't look boring, and I will dash into the store at light speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, that last sentence doesn't make sense. lol

      Delete
    2. What does it say about me that I understood it? :)

      Delete
  10. It's all so frustrating. Deeply frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I can say it better than Allison did up there :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just find it so dreadful that you - as a people - seem to be left to fend for yourselves, without leadership or any real supportive actions, not even gestures. It's just an awful situation you don't deserve.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.