Tuesday, July 14, 2020

more progress and stuff seen around the yard


Saturday Rocky and his current helper planted the meter box pole. 


My sister Pam then set up her new account and the meter is ordered and power should be brought to the pole one day this week. Then we get an electrician to come and hook it up to the house and wire in the septic system and then call the AC people to come install the condenser and hook it up. Rocky delivered the supplies for the small porch/deck for the front of the house yesterday and he's out there now getting it built. And Gunnar showed up yesterday afternoon and got the water hooked up. 

digging the trench for the water line

He had a little Kubota tractor with a digger on one end and a blade on the other and when he was done with the plumbing I asked if he would grade that dirt for me behind the house and he did! Saved me a buttload of work and didn't charge me extra.

Other than that, nothing new is happening. It is still hot as blazes, not fit for man or beast out there except for the long haired cat who likes to lay out in the garage on the concrete during the hottest parts of the day and sleep or observe.


Saturday I decided to finally dig out the volunteer maple tree that sprouted in a shallow dish of succulents and repot it. I'm afraid I killed it instead. The dirt was hard as a rock and while I thought I was being careful I ended up breaking the main root. I suppose I should have watered the pot first. It still had an intact small root so I went ahead and potted it up, watered it well, and brought it inside to recuperate but the leaves are drying and curling and it is not happy.


Sunday I was finally bored enough to do some house cleaning. I got both the bathrooms done and yesterday I cleaned the windows and the window seat of the bay windows in the living room and then vacuumed the upper house. Today I did the weekly shopping including going to Walmart to see if they had a couple of items the HEB did not and bought some cherries then came home and made tuna salad for lunch. Ate some of the cherries with lunch and they are terrible! They looked good, good color, nice and firm but they have no flavor, just bland. These are the worst cherries I have ever eaten. I guess I'll use them to make a pie or a crostata so they won't go to waste.

Pictures have been piling up so here's a few from around the yard.

little tree frog

fritillary

red crinum lilies

succulent bloom

the white orchid tree had 25 open flowers this day

the rangoon creeper has been exceptional this year and this is only half the bush





17 comments:

  1. You are so close to finishing. Wonderful shots. You see very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the succulent bloom, oh my! And the orchid tree, exotica! Too bad about the cherries, ours are so good this year that i have an over abundance. They are so big and juicy and CHErry- the raccoons look like they are wearing lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good seeing your cat sleeping on the concrete in order to stay cool. And that frogs make themselves comfortable in your yard says something very positive about your habitat. I never get tired of seeing what grows on your property. It's an extraordinary place. Your sister is fortunate to be able to make it her new home

    ReplyDelete
  4. The house story is really exciting. I'm looking forward to Pam's moving in and getting organized. It's going to be beautiful.

    And your flowers are amazing. Heat tolerant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like looking at other people's flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often wonder why it is when I press publish, blogger deletes everything I wrote. I'll try it again. The succulent blossom is very unusual, and pretty. The rest of the yard is gorgeous with the blooming plants that can tolerate the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that Rocky did that leveling for you! That was a nice bonus. And of course I LOVE all of your flowers.

    I really need to clean some of our windows, but I suck at it. I really try, but I still end up with streaks. I don't know if it's the materials I use, or my arm strength (or lack thereof), or just general incompetence. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That succulent is amazing but also the Rangoon creeper.
    For a moment I was expecting you to write that you went on that digger yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too bad about the maple and the cherries. That blossom on your succulent (euphorbia?) is very strange! I don't think I've ever seen a flower like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Things are going slow but sure. That's a good thing because things will get done right the first time. Even though I'm inside with an A/C blowing in the room I got heat stroke yesterday. I went outside to get something from the car and in just 3 minutes it hit me hard. I was able to make dinner but I didn't feel like eating. I turned on the A/C in the bedroom, took a cooling shower and went to bed at 4pm. 108 yesterday. I've been out in heat before like 118F in El Paso but that was when I was in my 20's or was it my 30's and never suffered. Wonder what it will be today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hard to believe y'all are so much hotter than us down here. I take a med for my thyroid and one of the side effects is intolerance to heat. of course, that would be the one that I get.

      Delete
  11. If you hadn't said that was a bloom on the euphorbia, I would have thought you'd draped some sort of plastic thingie on it. That's really odd, and yet attractive. I feel for your maple. I finally pulled my wonderful cactus off the shady patio and am putting it out in the sunshine with a big note that says DO NOT STEAL ME I ONLY WANT SUNSHINE! I'm hoping that I can coax at least one flower out of it. Its produced multiple blooms for years, but not a hint this year. It clearly needs sun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great name - Rangoon Creeper! It makes me think of Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone era). I am always amazed at how many flowers and how lush everything is during all that blazing hotness. Things here just go to toast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos, especially love that butterfly. Bummer about the maple and the cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That succulent bloom looks otherworldly. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.