Wednesday, July 22, 2020

another few days in the life


It continues to be hot and humid and dry. So dry. The cotton in the field at the end of the street is suffering, wilted with large swaths yellowing. 


I don't remember this happening the year of the terrible drought when the whole state was in exceptional drought and Texas lost millions of trees to wildfire and also from lack of water. Feed corn must have been planted in that field that year which they don't harvest until it is completely dried out anyway.

Monday evening, though, it was raining east of here and a rainbow developed while I was walking Minnie


and then Monday night a storm blew through but was mostly just lightning and thunder. We recorded 3/8” of rain. It cooled things down a bit if only temporarily. And then this morning I woke to a decent rain, or rather it was raining decently as long as it lasted, less than ¾" worth.

My neighbor whose husband died suddenly last December had a crew come in and whip her acre that had gotten out of control (this is not to be construed as a criticism especially considering my own yard maintenance style but simply as an observation) back into shape. It took them two days. There was a lot of stuff to recover and uncover. It made me wonder if she's thinking of putting the house on the market soon.

Grandgirl Jade, who is finishing up her third year at University of Texas San Antonio I know, right! is moving into a new apartment with a friend and she claimed our old dining room table that we have been keeping for her over at the shop. You might remember I got the score of a lifetime at an estate sale, a round oak table with lion paw feet, a leaf, and 6 chairs for $80. She came and fetched the table and chairs weekend before last and last Friday I got this text from her...


I'm going to have to stay away from the news and all things Trump for a few days. Trump's deployment of his DHS and prison guard and border patrol thugs in Portland and the upcoming deployment to Chicago to instigate and engage in violence is making my afib act up. Trump is doing this as part of his 'law and order' re-election strategy, and he's only doing this to democratic run states and cities as a way to delegitimize the Democrats, as proof that Dems are soft on law and order and that if they get elected the country will descend into chaos. So he is sending in his secret police to escalate the violence to create the 'proof' he wants. And in Portland that's exactly what happened. The protests had dwindled down to about 100 diehards hanging out at a park, barbequing and making music and now with the uncalled for violence from these unnamed police, the protests have resurged. Never mind that the country has descended into chaos under Trump's hand ot that this maneuver is illegal as no one in Portland asked for the feds and federal law enforcement must be requested. As for Chicago, their mayor is a black woman. He needs no other reason to demonize Chicago and send in the feds though I did read today that the police union sent a letter to Trump asking for help because they are just as racist and misogynistic as he is.

A few more pics from around the yard...

been seeing more of these little tree frogs


and I saw the tiniest little anole yesterday that must have just hatched but it scooted away too fast for me to get a picture.

Summer stalwarts Katie ruella which is basically a dwarf tamed wild mexican petunia though they also spread easily,


and the yellow bells (also called esperanza and tecoma stans) are blooming,


and the coral ginger is starting to bloom.





16 comments:

  1. easy to see what the Orange turd is doing, but his cult are so brain dead they will buy it! Your flowers are splendid as is your frog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is blooming around my place too.The Esperanza is out of control.
    I don't mean to get your heart all in a tizzy but trump is moving these troops in so he can put a stop to voting and become the leader forever. He likes stealing from the people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The backwards thinking of the GOP and the SupremeBruhaha...is so apparent because the Dems will solve the issues causing the chaos, and then people can relax and go home knowing that progress about what cops can and can NOT do is what the protest is about...change is the answer to the problem. So far NO leadership from Trump sending his personal army is NOT leadership it is Tyranny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Those little frogs were just the panacea I needed after getting all revved up again about Trump. I could feel my blood pressure as it settled. (Can martial law be far behind?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love seeing your frogs. That's something I see very rarely here. (Although they ARE around...)

    Too bad about the chairs! I hope you get rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Between the frogs and the flowers, this is a great post.

    About the chairs: people used to wear a lot more layers back when, and I'm betting that helped. Or you may have found why the set went cheap!

    Around here you can't sell that kind of heavyweight furniture. Modern apartments can't take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the chairs are ones I bought 35? years ago from the unfinished furniture store and finished them myself. the table with the lion paw feet and chairs that I got such a good deal on, I have and it replaced my old table and chairs, which my grandgirl now has, except for the chairs which she brought back.

      Delete
  7. Hope the respite time you are taking settles your afib down. That's a real concern.

    Seeing your little tree frogs and flowers is good medicine for me. When I visited my sister who lives in Gulfport, Mississippi, I saw cotton fields like that. It's big sky country with thunder and lightning and beautiful rainbows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My understanding is quite a few, more than a few DHS employees are unhappy with Trump. "We are not guard dogs" "We are not trained to be street cops" "It will take years to rebuild our reputation". Not all of them are thugs. A lot of them, but not all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the flowers, as usual. And love that we're on a wavelength politically, although I would love it more if we didn't have to worry so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that rainbow makes up for a lot. And flowers and tiny frogs. Let's all try to stay on the positive wavelength and not allow the shit show mess with our health.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love coral ginger with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think enough people are getting damn sick of the orange fart. There could be some action.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the wild Mexican petunias. Yes, today he seemed to backtrack on everything said in the last few weeks. He seems to be reading from a script.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It always amazes me that you still have so many beautiful flowering plants in a drought. I love tree frogs - I hear them here, but rarely see them. I am gritting my teeth and setting my sights on November. I still see the occasional tRump 2020 sign here and wonder if the people who string them up are aware that they are also flying their "An Idiot Lives Here" signs as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do spend a lot of time with the hose and sprinkler.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.