Friday, October 25, 2019

unprepared and don't particularly care


I am totally unprepared for the open house this year and while I should be feeling anxious about it, I'm not. This time last year, and previous years, I was very busy getting any models in progress finished and molds made and the pieces cast and the cold work done on new work already cast, getting stands made, new cards printed, all the stuff to prepare for the first weekend of December. The last week of November I would be setting up and arranging and tweaking my display. And last year I was all energized during the open house, I had plans for this year, I was going to be diligent and get a lot of new work made, I was going to develop some low cost items...snowflake ornaments, note cards with my drawings on them. I was going to get enough stuff made to set up at another art/craft show run by a fellow artist that is one Saturday only, I would work that show while Marc would be at the open house. Well, the note cards never got made, the snowflake ornaments were disappointing (but only because I didn't have the right glass so I may try those again), I haven't made any new models and the one piece I spent months on was one disaster after another (though I haven't given up on it yet), and come February of this year whatever excitement, energy, plans I had just fizzled right out when I finally went to the doctor about the racing and uneven heartbeat and the next 6 months was all about that and the last month plus has been about getting my teeth repaired. When I worked on anything at all, I played with the modeling glass.

I really want to like this product but I'm having a hard time. Besides being limited by my color palette, I just don't care for the opal glass. I'm used to working with transparents which have so much life due to the light transmission. The only things I'm mostly pleased with is the feathers  (they range in size from 7.5" to 9.25")


except for the blue jay feather of which the gray is not dark enough. And my second try at the lichen was a bust because I forgot to mix my new color combination with an equal amount of white and it came out too dark. 


One more try on that. And the pansies came out well enough 


but I really don't like the yellow color which looks like it has a tinge of gray and the other one, the pink turned out purple, not bad in itself except it wasn't what I was expecting and apparently the pinks need a hotter temperature to mature. 

So yeah, I should be really busy and single minded and I'm not and I don't particularly care.

----------

The above is what I was musing about last night. Yesterday afternoon it was hot and the AC was on. About sunset a front started blowing in and this morning, late morning 11 AM, it was 49˚! I guess we're just not doing fall this year as it seems to swing from summer to winter. That wind blew all night and it's still blowing out there and the yard is littered with even more pecans and I think I'm going to get my book and go take a nap on the couch.




9 comments:

  1. Do I hear that voice? Feathers are superb! And the flowers. Presented with aplomb, whatever else could be needed. Hope you enjoyed your read/snooze

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did nothing today but read, walk, fold and hang laundry, and now I'm back on the web. Endless circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What we don't notice comes back to bite, a little nip or a big chunk. I just tied on the new warp, and instead of taking a nap when the tedium made me nod, I made a mistake and didn't notice. Drat and damnation and flying Trump. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the feathers are amazing. So there is that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your feathers are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These feathers are simply gorgeous, delicate.
    As for being prepared, so what. You had a lot on your plate. Enjoy reading on your sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those feathers you made are a delight! I'm amazed by all you've accomplished this year despite health problems.

    As for books and naps. Yaaayyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, rereading old friends here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The feathers are great, but I like the flowers & lichen too so what do I know? Ha!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.