Sunday, October 13, 2019

it got cold y'all...for a day anyway


Wow! It really happened! Mid 70˚s and overcast when I got up Friday morning then the wind picked up blowing in cold air and knocking pecans out of the trees. At 12:45 PM and it had already fallen to 57˚, predicting a low of 52˚ that night. I had the door open in the morning but had to close it after a while because it was getting chilly in the house. I picked up over three gallons of just the big ones and didn't even canvas the whole yard. The dog was not impressed. She doesn't like the cold wind but much to my surprise it did not deter her from wanting her evening walk however fast it was.

While it was in the mid-50s yesterday when I got up, it warmed up quickly and turned into a gorgeous day with a clear blue sky and low humidity. I picked up another five plus gallons of pecans throughout the day under various trees and spent several hours over at the shop with the long handled nippers trying to restore a little order around the shop and in the back. A drop in the bucket. I also poured some wax in some of my reproduction molds as long as I was over there. And Marc reinvested the cracked heron box. The heat and pressure from the setting investment ran the crack all the way across the bottom and spawned a new crack off the old one. 


Since I can only see the bottom of the box now I have no idea if the cracks ran all the way down the back side to the top. If it comes out OK, I really hope the heron head inlay still fits as I really don't want to have to do a bunch of grinding again.

I've been doing more playing with the modeling glass but I'm hampered by my lack of color choices. I don't want to invest a lot of money in opaque powders unless I'm going to use them. Glass powder runs from about $18 - $25 for a one pound jar. Five colors could easily put me over $100. I've got the bases for all 5 feathers done so now I'm ready to add the top layer of powder and they'll be ready to fire along with another dozen color samples, and the pansy and lichen though I still have some detail to add to the face of the pansy. 

   
the white is pieces of high fire fiber paper which is supporting the edges while it dries and fires

I probably could have gotten that done if I hadn't spent another hour over at the shop with the long handled nippers and picked up another 3 gallons of pecans.

Minnie waiting patiently while I pick up yet more pecans




18 comments:

  1. The things you are able to make never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pint's a pound the world around! It's late and I'm less rational when it's late, but I had to laugh at that little thing that shapes our work. $. Really nice cotton thread starts at $20 to $30 a pound. Just think, if we could buy raw material for pennies, we could be mad artists all day and night. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Lord! Your ennui has gone with the heat! Wish I could say the same. I can't wait to see how your newest work comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue of that heron box is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it just wonderful when it gets cooler? I really hope that amazing heron box will work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it only lasted 2 days. back to being hot and humid, wearing my summer clothes.

      Delete
  6. I wondered what happened to the heron box now I know. I love to read about how you do the process. I never knew it was so involved. We don't pick up our pecans. Usually a bunch of people come by and ask if they can pick up pacans. Some people pick up pecans for a living. They sell them to Pape on the other side of town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pick up all the pecans from my four trees and the one in my neighbor's yard and there's another native in the next block that I gather from but can only get the ones that fall in the ditch. I crack enough of the hybrids for us to have all year and to give away and the rest and all the natives I sell. it's a chance to make a little extra pocket money, some years more than others depending on how prolific the crop for that year is.

      Delete
  7. Wish I had pecan trees! We have Hickory trees here. The nut meant is hard to get out of the shell and not as tasty as pecan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really intrigued by that modeling glass - can't wait to see what they look like! We had a gorgeous Saturday which we spent over at Mike's dad's house. I just love his front porch - if I could move that to my house I would a contented Bug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, halleluiah! You have to strike while it's cool enough to want to be outside! What a joy to be picking up pecans...I have to try and beat the deer to my pears, as they are too high for me to reach and I have to wait until they hit the ground. Fingers crossed the crack problem is solved on the heron box.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crap on toast! You and that afib. You can't catch a break with that can ya? Did you call your doctor about it? You should, especially if it lasts half an hour or more. Mine comes and goes. Lasts maybe a minute or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have not called. I have another appointment in about two weeks. he has told me that it is not a life threatening condition, more quality of life, and as long as I take the de-coagulant I'm protected from stroke. mine generally last about a half hour or three to four hours. it's up to me how much I want to tolerate or if I want to have the ablation for afib which is more invasive, longer, more complicated. not up for that right now. I think I just need to steer clear of the Orange Menace.

      Delete
    2. As long as you are taking steps to be safe then that's good. I was a little worried there.

      Delete
  11. OK -- I kind of messed up my response to you over on my blog. I hadn't blown up the train map, and when I did, THIS is what I found. Yes, it's coming through Wharton. It just isn't stopping there. But the route that's shown on their map matches your description exactly. Yee-haw!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn’t that cool air bring back energy. You certainly are a busy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A busy couple of days! The lichen and pansy look terrific, and I hope the heron box works out OK without extra grinding. Minnie is so funny how she doesn't like a chilly breeze -- though, as we've discussed, dogs DO have their preferences when it comes to weather!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.