Sunday, October 27, 2019

a good day for being outside


Yesterday I took my first bucket of pecans to the company that buys, sells, and cracks pecans here in town to be cracked. I took handfuls out of three different containers to see what, in general, the crop was like. I had a feeling that they were going to be good this year. Out of five pounds I only discarded 7 nuts that were either dried up or just didn't look that great and only one other that had two black spots. I attribute that to getting better at determining good from bad in the yard. I heft them in my hand and if they feel too light I'll crush them on the spot. Most the time I'm right but sometimes they do fool me and so perfectly good pecans are scattered around the yard for the critters. The shelled nuts look good and full this year. 


So far. Some years a third to half of a crop is lean, shriveled, or full of black spots. I still have 5 1/2 pounds of shelled nuts from last year that I want to get rid of so I plan to make some pralines and Marc has a recipe for spiced nuts he's going to try.

We had two nights in a row in the 40˚s but it's supposed to get up to 80˚ today, blue sky and no wind. I'll be out in the yard all day today getting more weeding done and getting the pansies in. I started a new little bed for them yesterday around the turret over the third septic tank that contains the pump that pumps the water out to the field lines. One of the bird baths sit on top and I've been planning it for years. I'm a little concerned that they won't get enough sun but that's because the trees still have their leaves. I think they'll do fine once the canopy is gone. We'll see anyway.

I need to get the garage rearranged soon too so that I can bring the tropicals in for the winter, something I usually wait til the last minute to do when the cold wind is screaming in advance of a freeze, but not today. The kiln is on, the heron box inside, fingers and toes crossed that the cracks heal with no visible scars and it stays intact and I don't want to move the kiln until this firing is over.

Later...

I picked up another 3+ gallons of pecans this morning. I lost track of how many I picked up yesterday. At least that many, maybe more. 

what I've gathered so far of the big hybrids

and the natives

I added dirt to the new bed for the pansies and got them planted. 


I had four left over so I put them in the large dish pot. Then I weeded another section of the long daylily bed, tossing pecans out into the yard. Every one I find and throw out is one less tree I have to dig up in the spring. Next I'll get the white and blue iris bulbs in that I dug up from behind the buddha last spring and I also need to get the oxblood lily bulbs in that I dug up last fall but first I need to get the rest of the weeding done. I'm mostly done with that, just have one more section of another flower bed to do. I quit a little after 4 PM. Starting about 3 PM the little dog was in my face, aren't you ready to go in yet?

Not yet little dog, not yet.





12 comments:

  1. My grandparents lived in San Antonio. They had a pecan tree ... there were several in the area. We always got pecans for Christmas. My grandparents would sit and crack them while they watched tv. They were wonderful. roasted with salt and butter....sinful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't get one more pansy in that bed? Or four! I do wish you every success with those perky little kids. I'd tell you they are my favorites, but I think I've already committed to mandevillas. That bed will be so green and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of pecans! Looking good! Does your dog have a dog door so she can go in and out at will? Or maybe that's not possible out in the country where there are so many other dog-sized critters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no dog door but the door was open and she could have gone in at any time but she pretty much stays around me. it's possible she had gone in and then because I didn't follow in an acceptable amount of time she came back out to get me.

      Delete
  4. Ellen, your energy level is amazing. I just don't have it right now. I don't know why. I've GOT to get that garden planted if I want any greens this winter.
    Your pansy bed is gorgeous. And of course I love that Talavera bird bath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, you have a treasure chest of those wonderful pecans. I have such a hankering for pralines now.

    I have gotten in my fall garden and put in the last pansy on Friday. However, I still have lots of summer plants that need attention. I have to stop putting things off but we have not had a frost yet and many flowers still look pretty good and it is hard to cut them down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that bird bath - color color color! That's what I wanted my wedding china to look like, but apparently I was ahead of my time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bonanza of pecans! They are my favorite nuts, but rather dear up here. That bird bath is so lovely and it will look fabulous, surrounded by pansies. I'm crossing everything crossable that your heron box will survive intact...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should bag them and freeze them for use when you want to make pecan pies. Pecans are expensive. I put six bag of shelled pecans in the freezer last weekend. They're for pies and cookies on Thanksgiving. The weather guys are saying today will be the last day that it will be in the 80s. Yay. cooler weather at last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had something like 19 pounds of shelled nuts last year. way more than I needed to eat and give away.

      Delete
  9. That is a lot of peacans. Good luck with the heron box. And the birth bath looks colorful and lovely in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless you on your endless energy. I want some of that.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.