Friday, July 12, 2019

we are all frogs in a kettle


We have our second named storm of the year swirling around in the Gulf but it appears that it will come ashore well east of us perhaps this weekend. We could use a little rain but it only seems to be torrential these days.

It's hot outside. I got up earlier than usual yesterday, went out and watered a section of yard. It's dry so this is my morning routine. Raking and sweeping the concrete apron in front of the garage before noon was my other yard chore and that was enough for the day so I took my sweat soaked body inside. In my defense, it was a lot of leaves and accumulated debris some of which had composted down and I moved it all into a low spot under the magnolia tree. After that I worked in the house all day cutting glass and getting the models ready to have the molds made. So this is how it goes, glue the model onto a piece of styrofoam and glue that to a base (I happen to use glass because that's what I have handy) an inch bigger all the way around and then build a cardboard box it will fit in.


I've finished all the separate models for the heron box and everything but the box itself and the piece of styrofoam that will become the reservoir for the box is set up and ready for molds. Marc will mix up the plaster and silica and pour it around and over the models and then steam out the wax. Five separate pieces not counting the feather and the feet (6 molds as the reservoir for the box itself will be made separately). Once they're all cast, there will be plenty of grinding off of excess glass and fine tuning the heron head inlay to get it to fit.

It was cooler this morning, only about 76˚ when I went out about 8 to water but it didn't last long. My outdoor chore for today was to use the gas trimmer around all the flower beds and the culvert on either side of the driveway. I almost finished but then I ran out of string. It was a toss up whether I'd run out of string or gas first but whichever I would be done for the day. So string it was at 12:15. I was soaked, had to peel my undies off. I'll finish tomorrow.

Did I say it was hot? Last night after yoga so it was about 6:30 I took the dog out for her walk. She likes to trot out ahead a lot or two before I put her on the leash and so she did, down the driveway, turned left, pranced across the space of one lot and stopped and looked down the street that was in full sun and she turned and looked at me and then looked down the street again and then turned around and pranced right back to the driveway and into the house.




12 comments:

  1. Smart dog.
    We're getting rain right now. It was very sunny this morning and I was all set to hang my new sheets on the line when it started to drizzle. At least it cools everything down. It's been brutal here too.
    I hate to hear that I sent you one of those damn calla lilies. Dig it up. They're just the rooster tail variety and not interesting at all. My pinecone lilies are starting to send up their cones so I know exactly what's what and I'll dig you some of their roots and send them on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smart dog.
    I was wondering if the storm would get you, glad it's going east. As much as I am not enjoying my current climate, I can't complain, at least it's not hot and humid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like hell to me. I think your dog agrees. I didn't realize how intricate and many-stepped the process was for creating this glass masterpiece. I don't know if I'd venture out of the AC until October.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dogs are smart. Probably saying, "Mom? That's a long walk for a hot day. Yesseree, it sure is. Okay, let's go back inside." Yeppers, that's what I believe she said. Our heat index was 104 yesterday but with the humidity it felt like 375 with the oven door open.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been hot here, but we keep having thunderstorms that are wreaking havoc on our infrastructure. They just finally fixed one of the roads I use near my house (oh, it only BROKE IN HALF during the last heavy rain), & then yesterday we had more heavy rain. Heavy sigh.

    On the other hand, the dog makes me smile - good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, your dopg is smart. Not like our (now deceased due to old age) cats who used to hang out even on a hot stoveplate.

    And you get to do hot yoga without extra charge.
    I am looking forward to see that box all done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for her.
    There are so many steps to your art. I'm really impressed at how diligent your are, but then your get incredible results which must drive you on.
    You're probably tired of hearing this...but don't overdo it. Fainting in the sun would not be good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dogs are sometimes smarter than humans. Summer heat can be intolerable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right now, I'm looking at a big, fat pigeon who's plopped herself down into the birdbath and isn't moving for anyone, thank you very much. I've been working on a boat in a shed, which has been great, but today I finished the job, so the good times are over. I've got oodles of work lined up, and it's all on the docks. Luckily, I can start at 7, and that allows me to get a few hours in before noon. Then, I usually knock off until I either can find a shady side of a boat, or it starts to "cool off" about 6.

    That doggo you have is a smart one. A friend her has made little heat-resistant booties for her dog, but that may not be necessary for you, since you've got more grass than concrete (or so I imagine).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even the dogs know, eh? One neighbor out walking her dog these last several days apologizes because her dog has begun barking at everyone. The neighbor apologized, and I said the dog just hoped I would let her in. It's one of those long haired dogs with a curly tail. Chow, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dogs are smart! The heron box is looking promising!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dogs know. We do well to follow their lead sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.