Friday, July 26, 2019

a break from work stuff


Oh, these past few days have been glorious. Blue sky, low humidity, tolerable temperatures, pleasant enough in the morning to open the door.

After my terrible horrible no good day Tuesday I did nothing on Wednesday, tidied up a bit, turned a few more pages of my soaked notebook to dry out, read. Figured I had done enough damage the day before to last a week. Didn't do much yesterday either besides continue to clean up both my work tables and set the Mooka on it's rounds, got out the mold for the sticks but haven't filled it yet, picked a few zinnias.


Out of all those zinnia seeds I planted in three different locations I got mostly different shades of pink, some white, and one each of yellow, orange, and red.


Some pictures of what else is blooming...

A third banana tree has put out a bloom stalk,


My night blooming cereus bloomed one night last week with 12 flowers. It's never had that many before and the air smelled so sweet. I didn't have a flashlight to take good photos so this is just with the flash on my phone. There's 10 in the first picture if you know where to look.


This is from the last time they bloomed and I remembered to go out and look. The flowers only last one night.


Plumerias are still blooming their little hearts out, the Mexican bird of paradise/dwarf poinciana is twice as big as last year, the daturas open an occasional flower also at night that last only the one night, yellow bells, althea/rose of sharon, and flowering senna are all putting forth.





13 comments:

  1. The night blooming cereus is just stunning. Ten blossoms is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That second picture of the cereus is beautiful! And I love that little bug on the datura. I always get a kick out of insects enjoying a flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all so pretty. There is time to work but we must remember to stop and smell the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at the tiny bananas! You're doing make work to get your mind off the mess that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Look at that, you have tiny little bananas. I wonder if they get big enough to eat. That would be so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they aren't the kind that you buy in the store but if you slice them and saute them in butter it brings out the sugar and they're really good.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful collection. As soon as I saw that datura, I thought of Georgia O'Keeffe. You're really lucky with your cereus. Everyone I know who has them can't get the things to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mine blooms twice a year, a few blooms early in the summer and then a big bloom usually late August. this year was a month early. all I do to mine is keep it watered and bring it in for the winter. I don't think I've even fertilized it but I could have. yeah, the daturas always remind me of her too.

      Delete
  7. So beautiful!
    We once stood in the queue at the Botanical Garden to catch a view and scent of the massive flowering cereus at night. It's an indoor plant here and I wish I could try it at least during the summers, outdoors. But I know it'll be a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bring mine in for the winter, outdoors it gets shade and filtered sun.

      Delete
  8. How lovely your garden is, constant inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.