Wednesday, July 3, 2019

summer blooms and model making


Thank you to everyone for all the well wishes and support while I've been dealing with this issue. Now I'm trying to determine what my new normal is. I feel good but subtly different from before these two conditions kicked into gear last November. The flutter is gone and I'm not having afib episodes like before with a definite start and stop but rather an ongoing slightly irregular rhythm that is far less noticeable. Afib, btw, is the most common health ailment in the world. Well, enough of that.


I wander out in the yard in the mornings with the dog before it gets too hot and we got a little sprinkling of rain off and on yesterday. Plenty of blue sky with big white fluffy clouds out there today but thundering in the distance (which moved closer and it's now raining). The plumerias are blooming really well, the white orchid tree 


and the star of india also. The mexican bird of paradise too. And the zinnias. Oh, and the flowering senna is also in full bloom.


And two of my banana trees have sent out bloom stalks.


Too hot to work outside and I'm not really motivated to get out there so, ta da! I pulled out my model making stuff Monday


and I'm trying to get back in the groove. I need to finish the heron box because I promised it to my gallery for their anniversary show in September but I'm having trouble settling in. I work for 30 minutes, get up and piddle around or run an errand, like going to the Peach Creek Market and getting more peaches, work for 30 minutes, find something else that needs my attention, off and on all day. Perhaps today's the day if I can work around the rain since a lot of what I wanted to do required going over to the shop and digging around in my already made wax components, my stick molds and making waxes, or more stick molds. (Done.)


The reason the model for the heron box has remained unfinished and languishing is that I didn't have an image in my mind of it finished. I had the box part but the feet and the top remained out of reach until yesterday. I had in the back of my mind a memory of some stainless steel feet a friend had turned for me way back that have been hanging around so I tried to find them. No luck. I know where they were before Harvey but my son-in-law packed up this room for me after the flood and I have no idea where they are now. I did run across some gray feet that would have sufficed but could only find three.


And then I came across these


which I made probably 20 years ago for the very first attempt at a box which failed and so they were never used. I think they'll go fine with the heron box. I would have wished for something a little more creative but these will do and save me a step. But the real ah ha moment came when I figured out the top. I already have the heron feather I made with the modeling glass and I wanted to include a couple of eggs but in my search to find out how big heron eggs are I saw pictures of nests. Of course! So the top will have an arrangement of sticks to suggest a nest, two eggs, and a feather. For the inside I'm going to print the little vignette from my River Stories posts on vellum about chasing the herons downstream.

OK, I think I can finish it now.




13 comments:

  1. So looking forward to seeing your heron. I bet it will be lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is looking good out in your yard. The heron box will be beautiful - like all the things you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your banana bloom stalk looks just like mine. I love them. They are so oddly exotic.
    That piece with the heron is going to be so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the finished art work. Will you be showing the art works from the gallery? I would love to see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take pictures of it but it will be going to Kittrell/Riffkind art glass gallery in Dallas.

      Delete
  5. The little box came together serendipitously, and only twenty years on. Knowing herons up close and personal, I wondered how you would put one on those exquisitely small boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I can't wait to see that box completed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you’ve got your box plans sorted, and we’re able to use those feet! I love seeing all your flowers. Your zinnia is such a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Banana's, you're going to get banana's??!! How fun that will be. Flowers look gorgeous as usual and thanks for my shot of vicarious gardening.
    So glad to hear you feel better and could get out there if only for a little while.
    I will look forward to the finished work, love those sticks, and me too - I often work in 30 minute stints, or else spend 30 minutes thinking about working and then go wash the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your garden flowers, our plumeria are taking their time, showing off plenty of buds but nada despite my daily encouraging.
    I bet you feel relieved being back home. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are coming out of the dreaded heart problems. I take 120mg of sotalol twice a day for afib and blood thinners to avoid a stroke. All seems to be well for now.
    I am sure it feels good to be able to concentrate on the garden and creative work. Long may it last.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love hearing how you work out your pieces creatively. Glad you're figuring out your new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My processes look a lot like this sometimes - can't wait to see it finished

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.