Tuesday, March 5, 2019

blinded by the light


OMG! The sun is shining and it's been 3 days without rain! Of course we're having a late season freeze, down to 29˚ last night and supposed to do the same tonight. It's barely above freezing out there now. I covered a few things...the ground orchids which are in full bloom 


and the pink angel trumpet which has yet to ever bloom and the climbing jasmine that's over here coming into full bloom but not the one in the shop yard or the yellow angel trumpets as they are just too tall to make it worth the effort and even if they freeze to the ground, they'll come back. Nor did I cover the ponytail palm across the street which takes two tarps and two people if it's windy which it always seems to be when it needs to be covered. But, yay the sun!

I have two posts written, one about the further adventures of having a crazy person owning the lot next to me (it's a great title and would be a shame to waste it) and one which is just headlines on FB from last Sunday that show how fucked up Republicans are. Can't decide if I want to post either one.

I haven't been on social media much lately as it's either boring, seeing the same stuff even when I select 'most recent' or just flat out depressing. Not even people's art or sweet videos are engaging me and nothing of my own to post about as I'm not doing any art work at all. Instead I'm delving back into Hurricane Harvey. The Texas General Land Office has money they are going to dole out to people who spent some of their own money to repair the damage and so I'm trying to fill out the 22 page application and I'm to the part (page 12) where I have to list all the materials I paid for (as opposed to the ones Rocky paid for) and provide copies of the receipts and charge card statements and bank statements so now I have to rummage through two years of financial records and then I have to list all the payments to Rocky and submit copies of invoices (which we never bothered with so I have to organize it all and then get him to make out invoices and back date them for me). I've had this application for a month and couldn't decide if I wanted to bother with it as dealing with FEMA was a huge and continuing headache but...free money, right? Then I got a notice that they were going to start processing applications Feb. 28 and first come first served to the limited amount of money so I thought, oh what the hell, I'm not doing any art work anyway.

So, I guess the goldfinches have finally migrated through as I haven't seen them the last several days except maybe a few (at least two since I've seen two at the same time). She has the wing markings of a goldfinch but no hint of yellow, just a sweet little grayish bird or maybe it's a warbler but which kind I have no idea but it sits on the teacup tossing sunflower seeds out left and right. 


We do get warblers that winter over though they are usually gone by now too. The last several mornings I've also seen a pair of house finches, male and female along with the horde of sparrows, white wing doves and a mourning dove, male and female cardinals, chickadees, a pair of blue jays, a titmouse.

titmouse waiting it's turn on the teacup

I'm halfway through my month before I go see the cardiologist again. I was keeping a list of days and times and length of times for the afib episodes but it was too hard to visualize so I printed out some calendar sheets and transcribed the info to them. The meds are helping but they haven't stopped yet. I want her to increase my dose of the beta blocker first which she is hesitant to do fearful it will drop my pulse rate below 60 (60 – 100 is normal) though I'm willing to take the chance. If it does all I have to do is go back to the lower dose. She wants me to have an ablation which means a hospital visit and anesthesia while they send a catheter through one of my veins into my heart and zap the part that is giving off the errant signal that is causing the rapid and or irregular heartbeat. From what I've read so far, that only lasts for a year or so so it's not even a permanent solution. But neither are the drugs as I gather eventually they won't control it either for some people. Gonna read up on it again and this time take notes and write down questions. I'm beginning to consider the option, especially as what I've read so far indicates that ablation is more effective for people my age but I'm not ready to give up on the drugs yet for an expensive invasive procedure which will have to be done repeatedly over the years. There are triggers... alcohol, caffeine, stress, sugar, some medications, high blood pressure, dehydration, lack of certain minerals...so starting last night I'm giving up my evening cocktail or glass of wine and reducing my coffee from two cups to one starting tomorrow and see if that makes an impact.

Fucking afib.




24 comments:

  1. We've got sunshine today here too although it rained all night and supposed to be around thirty degrees tonight.
    So. All the fun things in life trigger your afib. What about herbals? Do they? Just curious.
    That little bird on the teacup photo is charming as can be.
    Take care of yourself, woman. And try not to worry too much about the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. herbals? as in tea? I've stopped having a drink at night before and it had no effect and it's not like they come on at the same time. I'd hate to have to give up coffee. didn't have one yesterday.

      Delete
    2. She might mean a DIFFERENT kind of herbal :)

      Delete
    3. oh! right. well, I'm giving that up too for now.

      Delete
  2. Surprised they haven't given you a monitor to wear, I had one for a month and wrote down everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too but they did catch it on an EKG in the office.

      Delete
  3. You (I hope) will find that the lack of caffeine will help....so does doing without sugar. Bummer but helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haven't had sugar in my diet for over 20 years and would hate like hell to have to give up coffee. they don't usually come on in the morning but afternoon and evening.

      Delete
  4. It has been cold, hasn't it? I was able to work yesterday and today, thanks to wearing long underwear over my long underwear. Yesterday wasn't so nice because of the wind, but today was lovely.From here on out, it just gets warmer, again.

    I was interested to see dehyration in that list of triggers. That's something I really have to watch in the winter. In summer, the heat reminds me to drink, but in winter I can go far too long without water. I hope the reduced caffeine and etc. helps you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid no Hill Country peaches now. I hope the reduced caffeine has no effect. I'd be loathe to have to give up coffee and it's not like I drink a lot as it is. just 2 regular coffee cups.

      Delete
  5. The only person I know with afib controls it with the blood pressure med whose name I can't recall, of course. It must be closely monitored to avoid GI bleeding, which it did to me, of course. The point is, it's all just too complicated to think about, and putting your doctor in charge and monitoring her is good thinking.
    And, the sun is not shining here, and has no intention of doing so, and I'm not even leaving the house. Oh, and it's snowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whatever she has me on doesn't produce the GI bleeding for which I am thankful, no weekly blood test, but it is expensive. another day of sun today!

      Delete
  6. I'm with you. Avoiding triggers and doing my own research and making my own decisions about my medical care have served me well. All I can do is all I can do. I can enjoy the birds and flowers no matter what happens. Sending love from the cold but sunny Pacific Northwest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stopped having my evening cocktail before and it had no effect so we'll see. I'm reducing my coffee which I would loath to give up but it's not like I drink a lot anyway and it's rare to have an episode in the mornings so we'll see.

      Delete
  7. Facebook blocked this? Pretty sure it was the titmouse that did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I'm flummoxed. my guess is they didn't like me calling republicans fucked up.

      Delete
  8. I don't understand the Facebook block either - what the heck! I've had friends who've had ablations & you're right, they're only temporary. However, maybe that would be better than drugs & modifying your lifestyle (if those even work). Sucks that you have to do any of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that's a drag. I would HATE to cut back my coffee and give up alcohol. Maybe the ablation would be worth it?! Hope the plants survive the freeze. I SO want to read your post about your crazy neighbor but I totally get your hesitation in posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had an arrhythmia, they said it was afib. I went to another doctor, he said it was atrial flutter. They did a right atrium ablation and it stayed down for about 15 months. Then the arrhythmia came back only much much worse. They said it was afib. It was actually two areas of ectopic atrial tachycardia, they were not reading the EKG correctly. It never occurred to me that getting a correct diagnosis would be an issue, but it was. After that they did a right and left atrial ablation, which was a tough procedure for moi.
    Has your EP tried any rhythm control drugs? Diltiazem comes to mind. There is an extended release form, and a short acting form which can be used as a pill in a pocket - ie take it when your heart goes off.
    You've only been diagnosed recently, it gives me pause that they want to ablate right away. It's not without risk, esophageal fistulas are particularly bad. The person that does this needs to do this procedure every single day. Its success depends on the muscle memory of the operator.
    Another option is cryoablation which is what I had the second time. A balloon is advanced to the pulmonary veins, inserted, inflated, and a perfect circle is frozen there.
    I have been good since 2013. Ablation can work. However, if the drugs work, they're a better option.
    Two good sources of info are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiarrhythmic_agent
    and: https://www.drjohnm.org/2018/05/musings-on-the-cabana-trial-af-ablation-vs-drugs/
    and: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=37&v=zKg_0AXZO-Q
    OK - I have butted in enough and will stop now. I do have an arrhythmia label on my blog if you want any real life recounting of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate your input and I'll check out your blog. this is all new to me. I don't have an episode every day, usually just once a day and it only lasts an average of 2 hours or less. sometimes longer. the other day I had 4 episodes (first time for that though I've had two a day) but the next day none and today only one.I'm pushing for an increase in my beta blocker. I think I'm also going to the chiropractor. maybe there's a kink somewhere that is causing the heart to give off these signals. can't hurt anyway.

      Delete
  11. That titmouse is soo gorgeous and she has a pretty name as well.

    And from the moment I spotted your heading I have been humming along with Manfred Mann - gosh I am so old. But I actually saw them live once.

    I would try the higher dose as well. Maybe invest in one these fitbit things that check your pulse regularly to be on the safe side. I often have a pulse between 50 and 60, esp. in the morning after I take the beta blocker. I just walk up and down the stairs for a while then and drink striong black tea. Usually helps. Also, dancing and gently hopping around. But I also had to recognise that I need rest. When the jumps and irregularities get too frequent, I take a break if possible, lie flat down and read for a while with the window open - strange but that seems to work most of all. Oxygene?
    All the best, look after your heart, seriously, take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The heart must be obeyed. Glad you're taking care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just noticed today, that my goldfinches are starting to gold-up. I'm sure that means spring is coming, but I'm not convinced - it was below zero this morning. Over. It. I do hope you run both posts because they will be corkers! Who doesn't love someone's crazy neighbor? You have to do what is necessary to boost your health, damn it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi ellen, i just made my blog private for work reasons. if you'd like to have access, please send me your email address at 37paddington@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.