Tuesday, March 26, 2019

misc. photo dump


If I don't start doing some artwork or sculpture soon I might just as well change the description of my blog, you know, the part about being an artist working in glass, to one about gardening. I got out there again today after my day off to take advantage of this gorgeous weather before the heat and humidity descends on us because once it does it won't go away for nearly six months. Weeded the last flower bed and got the rudbeckia in which basically took me all day, moving slow as I was. I did get the dog bathed and we went on the long walk and got the tomato plants and blueberries watered. Remember when I was trying not to complain about all the rain? It's fucking feast or famine around here. I never thought I'd say this so freaking soon but...I wish it would rain.

The yellow iris opened. I was expecting this...


what I got was this.


So pretty, don't you think, pale and frilly and faintly green in the center.

The maroon japanese iris opened too.


And the pecans trees, always the last to bud out, are sending out their blooms.


The previous owners of the country house planted a little dogwood tree which I understand never bloomed for them and also never bloomed for us until about 3 years ago when we lost a big branch from the pecan tree that shades the buddha garden and it started getting a little more sun which surprised me as I thought dogwoods were understory trees. We never get more than a handful of blooms but at least it's trying.



The other morning we had a standoff going on between the dog and the cat. One wanted in and the other wanted out and neither was giving way. The dog eventually pushed her way past the cat.


Steve from Shadows & Light asked about the cleaver or stickyweed wondering if it was the same as what they call cleaver. Well, here it is. Every part of this weed sticks to you...leaves, stems, seeds.


My new readers that I was so excited about that I got at the Evil Empire turned out to be crap China shit (I swear, Walmart is just one step above the Dollar Store for quality) because while the lenses are good and the frames hard plastic, the fabrication has a lot to be desired. The left temple fell off a couple of days ago and not because a tiny screw came out but because a piece of metal broke out of it's slot. Tried glueing it back. Twice. With two different glues. Then just wrapped it with masking tape which tore in no time. Finally had to go full on geek with duct tape.


There's a frog somewhere close to the back door. The other day a woodpecker was doing it's rat-a-tat-tat to attract a mate and the silly frog thought it was another frog and would sing back to it. This isn't that frog but one I saw earlier today on one of the wrought iron fence sections I have put up on the property line between me and the bat shit crazy neighbor.


I think I mentioned that I am being included in a new book on pate de verre and it taking me all freaking day one day to edit and rewrite the verbiage. Now I have to pick one image that I think represents my work. One. How is that even possible? So I posted 5 images that I selected on various glass related pages on FB and asked for feedback. I've narrowed it down to these two and I have to make my choice soon. As in yesterday. One last survey which I may or may not ignore.







12 comments:

  1. Iris = Memorial Day for me. That's when they bloom, in NE Ohio. It is spring break again up here, and it's good to know the weather is still beautiful way down in Texas.
    Now, if it counts, I vote for the white flower. I knew it's title once, and think I could find it on your web page, but, you know it and it's my bedtime. Let us know which one you do select, and why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the pale iris, the way all her lines are visible.

    Congrats on the book inclusion. I like both choices, but the color contrast in the last one captures my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That iris is a sort of perfection.
    Our pecans are starting to leaf as well. And we have sticky weed. It's nasty stuff but at least it doesn't sting. I've got an entire area that is full of it and I need to get in there and DO something about it. My poor yard. It's just slowly being taken over by so many unwanted things. We got rain last night unless I dreamed it. Which is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When he was young, my brother broke the bridge of his glasses so many times that my dad quit paying to get it fixed. We have a picture of Joe with his very fashionable duct-taped glasses - ha! LOVE the pale yellow iris! So pretty! I might need to add irises to our yard somewhere...

    Once again I can't decide on which picture you should use. I guess if I HAD to pick, it would be the moonflower because it has both of the features of your work that I like - the completed glass and the look of the wax mold (which I think is so lovely).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, tough choice. I do like them both!! I pay for expensive glasses, but my eyes wear out before they do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sticky weed is bed straw a very invasive species. Probably came from hay brought by early settlers who made a mattress out of it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd opt for the bee! More colorful, more representative of the color varieties you can (and often do) use. At least you're getting lots of differing opinions on this!

    Yes, that's our cleaver -- or goosegrass, as it's also called.

    The iris is beautiful! So interesting that it turned out different from what you expected. Flowers are often a gamble, in a fun way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the rhizome for the iris came from someone who I can't remember who, possibly someone from the garden club who just called it a yellow iris. I assumed it was the common yellow.

      Delete
  8. I go for the bee, definitely.

    Also, you need to do something with that frilly pale iris.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother had the most beautiful iris garden with blue bonnets mixed in. I think I'll be doing that soon. get a small iris and blue bonnet garden around the mailbox. That area gets perfect sunlight. I need to find a few new places to move my climbing roses and bougainvilleas. They aren't getting enough sun. I saw the comment about your heart palpitations on my blog. I guess it's part of getting old and part of my lupus problem. I did some digging and found palps are just part of the deal. Right now, Wednesday, I'm feeling pretty good, no heart palps at all. I had a wonderful nights sleep for the first time in months. I wonder if the heart palps were just from anxiety and my depression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I forgot to tell you the like the bee but the moon flower is gorgeous. Go with the moon flower picture.

      Delete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.