Wednesday, October 31, 2018

the view from here


Monday morning I decided to put the next mold on hold and went out and started clearing one of the flower beds of weeds because I wasn't sure how long the weather would hold and, in fact, I woke up to light rain this morning and checking the oft wrong weather app it is supposed to rain all day and night not stopping til about 3 AM. The farmer at the end of the road was finally starting to get his cotton harvested yesterday. It's a large field and as I left for yoga they only had about 5 or 6 bales that I could see. I figured they would work all night as those harvesters have lights and the weather was due to change today but coming back from yoga last night they didn't seem to be out there and only about two dozen bales. And now it is raining again. It started out this morning just sprinkling but has gotten heavier as the morning progressed and it's really coming down now.

This is what the fire ants think of all this rain. How high can we go, how big can we get?


I worked for about four hours Monday clearing out one section of one flower bed (there was so much crap in there you couldn't even see the dirt) 


then late afternoon I couldn't decide between a nap and starting on the anole w/10 petal anemone mold. The mold won out, thinking I'd just get the three little flowers done, shouldn't take too long. Nearly 4 hours later I'm thinking I must be out of my fucking mind.


Yesterday it took an equal amount of time to get this far though I did add more to the flowers. Basically all that's left is the lizard and then filling in the rock, another couple of hours at least. hahahahahahaha


If the colors don't bleed it will be a miracle.

The dog, the bees, the butterflies, and I really enjoyed those few days of sun though after this front moves in we should have a few nice days.



Once again the camera wouldn't focus close up which as I understand it if I want to buy the $1000 new version of the iPhone, that problem is solved.


I think I'll just suffer with a few out of focus pictures. Sometimes it works though.



And so far I have 4 pounds of shelled pecans. Heading over in a little while to pick up the next batch from the cracking machine, well, when the rain breaks again.





15 comments:

  1. I should be working outside today and I did have a good walk and hung clothes but I've gotten into this damn cleaning project. I will probably write about it tonight because it is grandchild related and as you know- grandchildren ARE my life.
    Actually, they are my bosses.
    I love your pictures. Hello to that little frog! Or wait- is it an anole? I can't tell from the angle. I'm pathetic. Your flower bed looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a tiny little tree frog. and don't mention cleaning.

      Delete
  2. You're getting some amazing butterflies there! Congrats on the weeding and the mold-filling. I'm sure I can't begin to understand how complicated that glasswork is. Your dog's belly looks a lot like my dog's belly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cracking machine. Fabulous. I hate shelling pecans, even if they are my favorite nut.
    I can still see my grandfather in Oklahoma, sitting at the kitchen table shelling nut after nut for my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's my evening activity this time of year, shelling in front of the TV. I don't mind it so much if I spring for the 35¢ a pound to have the machine do most of the work.

      Delete
  4. I think it's safe to say that, if you plan on working for a couple of hours, you should just put everything in your life on hold for days. It's been so long since I've seen the sun, that I am beginning to think it's just a rumor. A dog can really enjoy the sun, can't he/she? How many of us take the time to flop down on the ground and sun our bellies. Not many and it's probably a good thing, speaking for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that seems to be the way of it. apparently I live in a different time stream.

      Delete
  5. The mold is coming along beautifully. I know that when I get started on a task I like, time seems to drift by and I don't realize how long I am at it.

    I am "almost" done cleaning up the summer gardens. We are having good, warm weather this week, so there will be more days to finish up. Manana is good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do lose track of time and am always surprised. time was when I would/could work twice that long without stopping. I try not to do that now.

      Delete
  6. i always envy those pecans, yum. Nice to still have blooms, a few have survived the frosts on my porch, it has been an extended Indian Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to be Minnie right now... It's not that cold here, but it's cloudy & intermittent rainy & my feet are cold. Also, I'm in my after lunch doze mode. A nap in the sun sounds exactly right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos there! Do you mostly eat the pecans just that way, or if not, what are your favorite recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mostly eat them or pecan pie or in salads. I have a new recipe for pecan bars I want to try.

      Delete
  9. There is an art to your slightly blurry photos. The colors pop, and make me want to paint them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That antheap is giving me the shivers. I had roasted pecans on a dish of toasted sourdough with goats cheese and honey last week in a pub in Holland. I almost got up and told the cook that I know a blogger who collects pecans frommunder her very own tree.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.