Sunday, September 2, 2018

indecision


Even more paint colors later, I still cannot decide on colors or color combinations. I keep dithering back and forth between a light blue/ivory/rosy mauve (or purple)/dark blue combo (but that's four colors and the price I got is for three) or the same without the white but the white really makes it. 

   

Or I could do the two blues and the white, which is nice but kind of tame and essentially only two colors but it would work too. 


I also like other combos like ivory/blue (or a dark rose color)/green but I don't want a white house 

   

or a light lavender/ivory/green/dark blue which, again is four colors and I'm afraid the light lavender will turn to gray as it ages 


or green/ivory/lilac/dark rose also four colors. 


All the best combos have four colors. And then there's all the options of which colors for the trim, shutters, fascia, and soffit.

This is what the west side of the house looks like:


This is the outside wall of the garage that Rocky had bleached and pressure washed for me before he went off to do another job and it's latest incarnation. Several areas have three or four coats of paint on it. 


I'll sit close, walk back to the back of the big backyard and look. That nice little moss green on paper turned out to look like split pea soup on the trim so that's out. I'm thinking that dark blue is way too dark after earlier thinking I really liked it and I have another option that's not so dark and I don't like it for the (faked) shutters on either wall color. Maybe the light blue on the wall should be toned down some. Basically after looking at this for three days I've rejected all of it. Maybe I'm not brave enough to have a brightly colored house. Maybe I do want a nice tame paint job.

Tomorrow, I'll get some new paint samples and give it another try.





13 comments:

  1. I really love the dark rose with that gentle green, tough call, I see your dilemma. In the end we just decided on boring beige like all of the other houses around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost stopped the other day and took a picture of the house I told you about. I might do that tomorrow! I like that dark blue a lot, actually. My husband, who is a former painter, hates doing more than two colors on a house. But that's just because it's more work. I had a pink house once. It was sort of a statement to my neighbors. The statement was mostly, "Fuck you!" It was beautiful. One neighbor then painted her shutters pink. To this day I believe she did it in solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positively Caribbean if you keep the blue and the light purple/lavender. Mayb a tiny spark of gright yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm no help whatsoever, but I like bold colors myself. Not that I've ever had the opportunity to paint a house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of all the options, I like the last grouping, with the major part of the house a sage green. Your house will blend into the land and will be a welcome color in winter. It is a terrible job to choose house colors. I finally make my decision when it is time to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a color chip for a soft sage green and you are right, it is much better.

      Delete
  6. I was down on the west end of Galveston recently, and one of the developments has gone with really clear, light pastels trimmed in white. The lilac you've shown here is nearly the lilac I saw there, although the one on the island was even lighter. With the white trim, it was just stunning. You might want more color than that, but I sure did like the white and pastel combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to seeing your house painted the way you decide you want it! You always make good choices. Our house is brick with siding, so we don't get to change colors. Oh, a neighbor did have her brick painted, I liked it better before she did that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the last one best but I would use the Ivory for the primary portion rather than the green. I always obsess over paint colors because small differences completely change the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't really make your choices for you, but I kind of like the white-and-two-blues option. It's so hard to make decisions based on those tiny swatches of paper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life's too short for safe colors. I like that lavender with just about everything.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.