Monday, June 9, 2014

this is why I need a window to look out of


I looked up from what I was doing to see the local red shouldered hawk standing in a barely submerged pot in the turtle pond, getting a drink.


After a bit he (could be she, but I will refer to it as he) moved to perch on the gate into the Little Back Yard.



He turned around to face the pond again.





Then back in the pond standing in the barely submerged pot (from all the rain we had last week, usually it stands above the water line and has sword leaf growing in it but when it get submerged, the turtle eats the sword leaf which is why it looks like nothing is growing in it).



I think he wanted to take a bath but couldn't figure out how to manage it. He stepped off the edge of the pot into the deeper water a couple of times and lifted himself back onto the pot.


Then he moved to the edge of the pond. He would look directly at me quite often. He knew I was there standing just inside the open door taking pictures.


Back to the edge of the submerged pot.


He finally gave up and moved to the fence rail where he attracted the unwelcome attention of a mockingbird who eventually chased him off.


I waited and waited and waited to get the shot of him flying off and when he finally did, I missed it.




13 comments:

  1. so cute! just couldn't get that bath! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quite an extended visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the fact that hawks have taken some of my chickens, I still love their visits. They are regal and do not care that we are watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great experience. Love all the shots he allowed, they can be very camera shy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I traveled many turnpike miles through farm land this weekend and often looked up to see one, two, even three small birds sending a hawk on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birds in the bath are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I notice the turtle was unperturbed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! Great shots! The turtle seems unperturbed...funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some very good shots, too. I see him watching you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He must be comfortable in your presence. My Killdeer are like that. The female seems unperturbed by my presence. The male tolerates me okay, but is still on guard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharped Shined?? Looks too small for a Cooper's

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots! I love that we can see Big Mama in the bottom one. She doesn't look particularly concerned about the hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Water is so important to our birds and how lucky for you to have these regal visitor!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.