Sunday, June 15, 2014

sunsets, flowers, and other stuff


Today is my neighbor Frank's birthday. Frank of the Bountiful Garden. He will be 88. His family has found a wonderful woman to take care of him in his home 15 days on, 4 days off. Yesterday his son and daughter had a combination birthday/father's day party for him.

They have been working on getting the yard trimmed and spiffed up, the way Frank and Dorothy would have kept it, and Saturday they barbequed and had family, friends, and neighbors over. We had a nice time.

----------

I have a new flower in the yard this year, one that I want to try to get established. I got seeds from a fellow gardener that has them in her gardens and I scattered them in four different locations to see where they liked it best. It is called love-in-a-mist.






----------

We had some pretty spectacular sunsets right around the time we got that 6+” of rain a couple of weeks ago.





----------

And some miscellaneous flower pictures.






----------


The other thing I did last week besides work was I took all my girls to see Maleficent. Marc didn't want to go so I treated my daughter and grandgirls. If you have been living in a cave somewhere and don't know about it, it is a re-telling of Sleeping Beauty only it is Maleficent's story. Angelina Jolie was great. They could not have picked a better person to play that part. Very enchanting with a bit of a twist.

It's probably too late to see it if you haven't already.






13 comments:

  1. All your flowers look so happy, and that love-in-a-mist quite ethereal. Sunset over the lake, great capture, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman- I have seen some sunsets and those are without doubt some of the best i've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've heard that movie is good. :) love the new flower - sort of a passion flower meets...crap, i can't think of the flower - starts with a cr, i think. :)

    the 2nd sunset shot! holy smokes!! calendar stuff, there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a soothing post, Ellen. I was there at your neighbor's Father's Day/Birthday party. Then I scattered seeds with you and saw love-in-a-mist bloom as the sky left behind the rain in favor of a wonderful sunset. And we ended with a movie.

    I haven't seen Maleficent yet. It seems I will watch it at home. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Second sunset pic is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every thing is growing wonderfully. I love Love-in-a-mist. I grew it many years ago. The seed pods are as wonderful as the flowers.

    Your sky shots are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was photographing an identical poppy yesterday! The love-in-a-mist is beautiful. I've heard of it before but had no idea what it looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the flower. Sort of reminds me of a Maypop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again you've captured so many lovely flowers. I love the new flowers, they are so unique looking. Glad you've gotten rain and have had some spectacular sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the flowers, but my favorite pic is the sunset over the water - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely blooms and a rather exotic newby. You found some great blooms. I had seen that movie advertised ad it looked amusing to me and I hoped to catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That’s a lovely array of flowers, incl. the love-in-amist. I hope they like your soil and location because they are sweet little plants.

    From what you said I thought everything in your garden had already given in to the hot days but I am glad to see that’s not true.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.