Monday, December 9, 2013

open house and other winter things



Not our best open house and if it weren't for the hosts and one of the participants, it would have been our worst with only one sale to the general public. But...for the other participants it was good to great so, good for them. I'm glad to see people buying from artists even if they aren't buying from me.

Gene Hester fused glass

 Gene and Marc

Miguel Unson fused glass

Jennifer Barnds glass bead jewelry

Lisa Klein Addison enameled jewelry

Kathy Poeppel and Dick Moiel blown glass, our hosts

Kathy and Jennifer doing a demo

So now what am I going to do with all those window/garden ornaments? Maybe I'll drill more holes and hook them all together into a long column and hang it from one of our trees. The bowls we can send to one of our galleries. The rest of the little pedestal sculptures will become gifts.

But sales aside, it was freakin' old home week for me over the weekend. Four people who I had not seen in 15 – 30 years came to the open house and the most amazing part about it is that I remembered their names! I can't even remember the names of people I see with some sort of regularity. So that was fun, getting caught up.


It was a long week in the city last week and another bitterly cold one at that. Marc got in the sandblast booth anyway for two days and worked as long as he could stand it on the peacock panel. We have to go back this week to try and get it finished. Fortunately, it's not supposed to be quite so cold.

I managed to run out to Hot Glass Houston to visit a short while with Kari Minnick who is teaching a workshop there. She is an incredible artist and her glass panels look more like paintings. More about Kari in my next post.

looking down the street in front of the city house

After Thanksgiving week and temps hovering in the 40˚s, the city looked quite winterish 

the Big Back Yard

and coming home late last night after another week of temps ranging from 30˚s to 40˚s, it is looking downright winterish. 

the Little Back Yard

The two ginkos which had held onto their leaves far longer than I would have thought, which were still greenish when we left last Wednesday, had turned completely yellow and shed most of them by the time we returned.

I'm taking the day off today but we are going to try to return to the city tomorrow to finish the peacock panel though it may be Wednesday.

And then my youngest grandgirl Robin is getting Bat Mitzvah on Saturday. Then hopefully things will settle down and I can get these sketches and samples done.




9 comments:

  1. You work is lovely and I am so sorry that you did not have sales. I wonder if people tend not to buy art for the holidays because they are not sure of the taste of their recipients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your back yard looks a lot like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad some folks had sales. i'm ready for some sun and warmer temps again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my 2 ginkos dropped all their leaves the first hard frost.It was different.Snow here in IA yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful wares- I would have been the first in line with my pocket book out! You yards are beautiful in winter! Our winter so far has been surprising- 14 degrees and sometimes lower! My thumb froze to my steering wheel, hurts like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renewing old acquaintance--priceless. A sales bummer, but a pleasant afternoon nevertheless.

    Is Big Mama hibernating for the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much beautiful glass work in one place. Your bowls are just gorgeous, Ellen. I'm sorry and surprised that sales weren't better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellen, do you sell on Etsy or elsewhere online? If I or one of your other blog readers wanted to purchase one of your creations, how would we go about it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve - no I don't have any on-line sales venues. I guess you would contact me directly via email (which you can get off my profile or website www.emstudioglass.com). I could send any interested party images of what is available.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.