Sunday, December 12, 2010

and so ends the great chicken experiment




Yesterday morning the daughter and son-in-law of a friend of my sister came and fetched all fourteen of the chickens. They chased them all around the chicken yard with a big net until one by one they caught them and put them in a big dog kennel. Then they carted the chickens, the feeder and waterer, the nesting boxes and the hay bales away. My sister, who has spent a fair share of time chasing those chickens around, remarked when we laughed at the spectacle of the catching of the hens, that she often thought to herself “What the heck am I doing chasing chickens, I'm a city girl!”

So no more fresh yard eggs for us until we find a new source.

She's been wanting to get rid of them for a while now but her husband Mike liked having them. Chickens need daily attention and right now chickens are the last thing on her mind. Besides, they weren't paying for themselves. It cost her more in feed and scratch every month than she got back in eggs. You need to have either just a few chickens or a lot of chickens to make it worth it.

She spends a lot of time contemplating her future life while Mike sleeps, can't even begin to visualize what spring and summer are going to be like. She has never lived alone. Back when, a girl lived with her parents until she married. After her divorce her two girls were still young and then she remarried. Now, her husband lays dying in the living room.

It's not been as hard as I thought it would be, to help her, to sit vigil over him as he becomes less and less responsive, to hold his hands when he becomes agitated, to soothe him, praise him, to let him know it's OK to go. When he's not grimacing in pain he looks much younger. He's lost a lot of weight and the skin on his face has smoothed out, his 63 years of living slipping away. If you look just at his face...his forehead, eyes, nose, cheeks...you can see the handsome man he had been.

Yesterday his elder step-daughter and his best friend, the one who had sat with him in the hospital one day, arrived. He woke up for them, his eyes alert as he mumble/whispered. Speech is really beyond him now unless he is extremely agitated and then every curse word he ever knew comes out clear as a bell. Today his youngest step-daughter is coming over and tomorrow his son arrives. Earlier, my sister and I weren't sure if Mike would last til then but judging by his small rally yesterday we think he will.

Monday is also his and my sister's 30th wedding anniversary.


15 comments:

  1. Once again I wish to thank everyone who has commented on my previous posts with such loving care and compassion. There is no internet access at my sister's house so I have been unable to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ellen, you are being so brave for your sister. I continue to think of you & yours. May Mike's next days be more peaceful. xxxooo Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so sad for your sister. Like her, I have never really lived alone. I almost want to say that is so hard, being so close to the holidays, but it would be hard at anytime. It is good that you are close and can help her and your brother-in-law. I am thinking of you and your family as you say goodbye to your loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you really think about it, this is really a beautiful experience, on all sides. I hope his passing is loving and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have loved to have seen a video of you folks chasing chickens!

    Keeping you and your family in my best thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you and your sister during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so good that you're there, with your sister and brother-in-law. It matters so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out to them, and to you and your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thirty years - it's such a short time, really. Whatever she does, I know your sister will have your support & she knows that too - that will help, when contemplating the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sad moment to gather those chickens. They look beautiful and vital, probably an intended symbolism here. My sympathies during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is good that the chickens have moved on, they will be cared for and it will give your sister more time with her beloved.

    It is never easy to let go, I tend to be selfish except when I know it is easier for them to go than to stay.

    You are a great comfort and help to your sister and your brother-in-law knows you are there. This is the most wonderful gift you can give during these times.

    Thank you for being a good sister. May the journey be gentle for Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are times when we just don't know what to say, how wonderful that you are there doing and saying what matters to him and your sister. You guys are very lucky to have each other, but I know you already know that.

    I'm sending you a big hug my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you and your sister and your family. The Olde Bagg

    ReplyDelete
  14. After your comment at my blog, I came for the chickens, of course, and was completely taken aback by the context in which you wrote about them here. I appreciated the post - its sensitivity and beauty - and will save other comments for other posts. They don't belong here.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.