Saturday, October 21, 2017

have I mentioned how busy I am?


I should be writing a reply email to a man I have known for 50 years. I'm not, obviously, but I will. I'm sort of amazed that he has kept up with me all this time since he moved to Iowa and married only a few years after we met. We have had periods of time where we communicated fairly regularly to times when we communicated not at all. He was an object of romantic desire early on but that didn't pan out and yet he has not let me slip away into the past. I'm not really sure I understand why so I just accept this gift of connection and friendship. He's an interesting guy and a great story teller, a romantic whose greatest desire is to become a published writer. He visited us out here a year or so ago when he was closing up his deceased parents estate in the city and gave us an open invitation to join him and his other in Wisconsin where he now lives if we ever need a safe place. There's some real past life stuff going on here. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Onward into the now, the second set of three drowned feathers came out much better. Well, not better in how they cast but in how they look. I used brown and gray powders in the feathers before the white and it muted the white nicely. Need to use more powder though. Learning process and all. I think these three are my favorite and I think the rock will be the best, partly because it's so dimensional.


Next up is one of the 10” x 10”s. I've never done a piece quite this big. My mind is telling me to work out the colors for the big drowned feathers and order my glass or to start on the basic cold work for the six small ones today when my desire is to just continue for the next two days and get the rest of that part of the shop cleaned and hosed.

before:  



after (you can't really see how clean it is but trust me, compared to before, it's sparkling):


next:






8 comments:

  1. I would say, if you are in a good groove....stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have a friend like that. We have not been friends for fifty years, merely 47 or 48, as close as I can reckon.
    It is a grand miracle in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Past life stuff" is intriguing. I wish I could see more, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy all of the energy you must have to accomplish as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know diddly-squat about art or glass or any of that, but I do know that I like these feathers much more than the previous batch. I thought the first ones you showed were perfect, but these have a little something extra. I think you're right that not-so-white is a plus. They're really splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about Herculean tasks! And yet you still manage to produce exquisite things like your feathers. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, those feathers looks pretty cool. But I still like the other ones too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The feathers are hauntingly beautiful. I thought about them on my way to work this morning, though I can't tell you what brought them to mind. Maybe it was that in the midst of loss and chaos you were able to create something so unique and...I agree that exquisite is the right word.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.