Monday, February 12, 2024

more spring work and sorting christmas ornaments



I took care of two tasks Saturday…


I finally cut down the dead banana trees and hauled their carcasses to the edge of the Wild Space and tossed the sections as far as I could. I was surprised to see that last year’s pile had completely disintegrated. Here’s the before picture though I had already cut down the smaller ones on the left



and the after. Tired and sweaty when I was done.



The other thing I did was go through all Pam’s christmas ornaments with Robin taking pictures of groupings and then sent the pictures to the group chat of family members to see if anyone wanted any of it. Ended up with 10 groupings of which here are a few.



And the christmas tree skirt our mother made when we were small children. 



It’s old and has some stains on it and I’m sorry no one wants it. Of course Pam, our brother John, and I are the only ones who probably have any real memory of or association with it. I’m not quite sure what to do with it. I have no use for it, my brother doesn't want it. Our kids have their own stuff and our grandkids are not old enough to have any real desire for legacy stuff. So I guess I’ll take it to SHARE (along with all the ornaments no one wants) and perhaps someone will fall in love with it stains and all. 


Sunday I planted the yellow angel trumpet in the ground in the same place the big pot had been sitting. I intended to do that last spring but waited too late because after our prolonged spring which allowed me to get all the flower beds weeded and tidied and zinnias planted weather jumped straight to late summer. Here it is planted which doesn’t look very impressive as it freezes down to the roots every winter with these arctic blasts we’ve been getting even though I cover it and I’ve cut back all the dead stalks. 



You might remember that last fall it was at least 8’ tall.



I had to dig a big hole fighting and cutting out roots to accommodate the big root ball. This is the pot it was in (21"dia x 17"t)



and even though I dug away about a third of the dirt and roots it was still big enough and heavy enough that I couldn’t lift it but rolled it into the hole. Then I mixed about half and half the nice loose dirt from the pot with the thick clayey dirt from the hole and filled in around it. It had already sprouted some tiny new growth.



Jade is in town for a few days and she’s coming over today for us to do some repair and altering of some of her clothes.




19 comments:

  1. The ornaments are pretty. Hopefully they're rehomed with people who will cherish them. When my Mom died, and my Dad remarried, all the old Christmas stuff ended up in her hands. Guess what she did with it. Did she think to call me, see if I wanted any? Nope. I will always be bitter about that. Anyway, it's nice of you to expend effort on a fair distribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was very thoughtless and petty of her.

      most everyone wanted only a few so the rest will go to SHARE. the ladies in charge of that section put out a display of holiday relevant items before each holiday.

      Delete
  2. Pretty ornaments but if you don't do the decorating stuff, what to do. It's really the best thing to give stuff away. We even sold some of the old toys and things on ebay, will use the proceeds for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. too much trouble to try and sell stuff. at least this stuff. perhaps when I get around to her various collections I might try and sell what no one wants.

      Delete
  3. I'm to the point where even things that should have emotional value to me do not. I don't know what's wrong with me. I look at something and think, "Oh, but I remember when..." and then I realize that if the thing disappeared completely and forever I'd never even think about it, much less miss it. Jessie did ask for my family's old tree skirt. I gave it to her happily and it is nice to see it under her tree.
    I was about to throw out some really large cuttings that I'd made on a plant when we moved the porch jungle inside a few months ago. I never really thought they'd do anything and then the container I had them in with water tumped over and I went to just toss them and by golly- they ARE sprouting!
    Life. There is just no stopping it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cuttings I took of the yellow angel trumpet when I pruned it back before I could cover it are already sprouting roots while a small branch that broke off the pink angel trumpet is still just thinking about it but the firespike is sending out roots.

      when Pam and I were going to estate sales we'd see things and wonder why no one in the family cared about it and now I'm experiencing that in real time. there won't ever be an estate sale of her stuff though for the vultures to pick over (and yes, I've been one). one of the things that always grossed her out was seeing old bras and underwear to the point that she specifically requested in her will that her bras and undies be thrown out.

      Delete
  4. Are there some Germans in your family? I never had seen a pickle as a Christmas tree decoration until I moved to Texas, and some people told me that hiding a pickle in the tree was a German custom. Whoever found it got an extra present, or something, and I remembered that when I saw the pickle among your ornament. That tree skirt looks remarkably like the one we had when I was a kid. I remember my mother sewing sequins on it, one by one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my maternal grandfather was German but I think these ornaments were just generally available back in the 40s and 50s. I had never heard of the whole pickle thing and it was never a part of our tree trimming. The first I heard of it was about 15 years or so ago at a xmas party when I was looking over the xmas tree and someone asked me if I found the pickle. pickle?

      Delete
  5. There are a couple of Pam's ornaments I remember from my childhood. Those glass ornaments were all that were available in the forties. Good to donate all the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those german blown glass ornaments that my family had were always my favorite. I took two of the ones Pam had to add to the three or four I already had. not that I ever do a christmas tree, they hang of a rack on the wall instead.

      Delete
  6. I would imagine the stains can be removed from that tree skirt and someone will enjoy it as much as you did during your childhood. At least I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. perhaps but I'll leave the effort to whoever. I do hope it finds a new home.

      Delete
  7. This is such an exciting part of the year, planting, pruning. I do wish someone would take the Christmas tree skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get out there and turn the soil and plan where and what for the spring garden and zinnias!

      Delete
  8. Pam had some interesting ornaments (which I would expect of her). Hopefully they'll find homes with people who are excited about them. I have some things that I know that no one will want after I'm gone. Do I get rid of them now (assuming I'm not actively using/enjoying them) or just let whoever deal with it? No kids, so my brother & his wife will have to deal with my crappola. I better warn them. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. almost everyone took one or two or six though still plenty left over. and I'm just letting my kids deal with my stuff though as I get older I may pass some things along.

      Delete
  9. It is good of you to take the leftover decorations to SHARE. I bet someone will be so happy to have them.
    My problem with gardening is that I never really know what the heck I am doing. You are so good at working on your yard, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather just give them away than deal with trying to sell them since I especially hate to do garage sales. mostly what I do in the yard is maintenance. but gardening isn't all that hard. find something you like, dig hole, plonk it in the ground, water it. though my dirt is so clayey that I have to add stuff to it, otherwise when it dries out it's hard as a rock.

      Delete
  10. Planting that angel trumpet sounds like a big job! The plant will be happier in the ground, though, I'm sure. I hope you find a home for most of the Christmas stuff. Your sister had some cute ornaments.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.