Wednesday, February 7, 2024

a busy day and a mystery


yesterday’s sky


Tuesdays and Thursdays are my busiest days. This was my day yesterday…got up, fed the cat, took my meds, checked my email, did my yoga, read blogs, fixed breakfast, cleaned up after breakfast, took the dog outside while I emptied the kitchen scrap container on the compost pile, picked up some small branches, pulled up a cabbage, took a box to the post office, did the week’s grocery shopping, put away said groceries and then it was time for lunch, after lunch walked the dog who wanted a long walk, fed the kittens, browsed social media, fed the dog, started preparing dinner, sat down for 20 minutes, finished fixing dinner, cleaned up after dinner, took my meds, closed up the garage, let the dog out one more time, cleaned the cat litter box, brushed my teeth, and finally sat down for what remained of the day before I went to bed at 10.


We watched the first two episodes of the streaming show Mr. and Mrs. Smith (don’t remember which service it’s on). It is completely different from the movie of the same title and we’re not really sure if we’re going to watch more of it.


Yesterday when I was out in the yard I found this peculiar thing laying on the ground right in the middle of one of the pathways around the magnolia tree, which is about 8’ from the corner of the attached garage, clean as a whistle and with the filament intact. 



Where the fuck did this come from and how did it even get here? Granted it was very windy Monday but I can’t imagine how the wind could have blown it from wherever to where I found it. I did an image search and it’s a mini light bulb (obviously), 1 3/8” tall, +/- 12v +/- 5w used in automotive, sewing machines, vacuums, etc. I have never seen a lightbulb like this before. Checked both vehicles but nothing missing. I don’t have a light on my vacuum cleaner and the one in my sewing machine is much larger. Ah, the mysteries of the universe.


A friend of my daughter’s sent her a free box from HelloFresh, one of those outfits that send you all the ingredients for a meal and all you have to do is cook it. The free box contains three meals for two people. In order to get your free box you have to register and when you register you have the option of sending a free box (free except for $4.99 shipping charge) to someone else and she sent one to me. So yesterday, I registered and Marc and I selected our three meals due to arrive Saturday. Nowhere on the site while you are signing up for the free box did it say that this service would automatically send another box every week (you are able to pick different meals) for a total of $70 a week unless you went online and canceled (or if it did, I didn’t see it). The follow up welcome email had a little asterisk and at the bottom explained this part of the service. $70 a week for three meals for two people is nearly 75% of my weekly grocery bill so I’ll be canceling after we receive our box. If we’re going to spend that much per meal (and quite a few of the meals had additional charges so the price per meal increased sometimes by a little and sometimes by a lot) we’d rather go to a restaurant where we won’t have to cook it or clean up after it.


There’s been a huge flock of starlings in the neighborhood all week and they are loud. I’m in the house and I can hear them.


This afternoon when I go over to feed the kittens, the little gray tabby is getting scooped up to pet and cuddle and then shoved in the cat carrier and taken to the vet where he will be neutered tomorrow. I’m only going to do one every few weeks to give myself time to re-earn their trust. I think they might be a little wary after this afternoon.


Ten petal anemone are in full bloom



even the occasional pink and purple version.






22 comments:

  1. What time do you get up? You get more done before lunch than I get done all day long and that is not a lie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get up between 7 and 8 depending on the day, usually about 7:30. breakfast at 10, lunch at 2, dinner at 7:30. I don't usually get that much done.

      Delete
  2. For those meal prices I'd want personal service from a chef in a white hat! The anemones are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say: around here that lightbulb would be attributed to squirrel activity. They move a lot of stuff around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness I'm tired just reading of that day. Though I do a lot of those things, I count the ones I go out of my house in the car as the big ones...and today I did 3, so I'm totally pooped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a lot of that stuff I do every day but Tuesday just seemed non stop.

      Delete
  5. During the first serious lockdown in 2020, we used a similar meal service for a while. It was good food and interesting recipes but far too much for two people. How do they calculate their quantities? I was glad when that was over.
    Good luck with the kittens.
    I suppose you don't have many cyclists in your area? This tiny light bulb could be from an oldish bicycle lamp.
    But it's amazing what a bit of wind and rain can unearth and wash up. We've been digging and planting and growing here for almost 30 years and still come up with odd bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when we lived in the city our house was over 100 years old and I used to dig up stuff, mostly old marbles. one person on our street uses a bike to get around but he's never out at night. we got our meals today and the first thing I did was cancel my subscription.

      Delete
  6. I have never been attracted to those meal services, although I am sure that for many people (especially those with money to burn) they have great appeal. I do most of the shopping in our house and for me part of the enjoyment of food is going to the market and selecting the ingredients for the meal. Then coming home and chopping and preparing adds to the pleasure. And it is a whole lot cheaper too. We rarely eat out in restaurants. Almost universally they are noisy, and often the food is mediocre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I do the shopping instead of curbside pick-up because I like to choose my own produce. nd since I only fix dinner two nights out of seven (husband does the other 5 nights) I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. we hardly ever eat out because there's not much choice and it's more expensive than eating at home.

      Delete
  7. I think the prices are too high for the meal service, too. I noticed a roast packed with the onion, potatoes and carrots in the meat display. Seemed like it would be just as easy to purchase all the ingredients separately and save some money. I prefer to choose my own produce anyway. That first kitten will be telling his brothers what happened .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too which is why I don't do the curbside pick-up. I want to see what looks good and select my own produce. the kittens are a little more wary of me right now.

      Delete
  8. Wow that's a lot pricier than when I was using Hello Fresh back in 2015/16 (well of course it is). We didn't get them every week (we could skip if we wanted), but I'm thinking they were more in the $50-$60 range. They were tasty, but we never had any leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our three meals came today and the first thing I did was cancel my subscription. it's nice that they include all the ingredients but you still have to prep and cook so, yeah, too pricey for that.

      Delete
  9. Late for work I stopped at McDonald's for breakfast, sausage McMuffin with egg, hash brown and medium OJ for $10!!! I fry up the same meal at home for $2.68, with a large OJ being th most expensive part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That purple anemone is unusual! I haven't seen one like that before.

    Here's my theory on the light bulb: Your crazy neighbor hurled it from her property onto yours. (When in doubt, blame the crazy neighbor.)

    I've never used Hello Fresh but I've heard of schemes like that before. It pays to be vigilant with the small print, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we also get a pink version. the thing that struck me about the little light bulb is that it was so clean with n intct filament. I would have thought that would have broken however it found it's way to my yard.

      Delete
  11. Busy little bee. The anemones are so pretty no matter what color. I'm thinking that the little light bulb got there from a crow or raven. They do like strange sparkly things sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.