Saturday, December 25, 2021

miscellaneous pics while I finish up


Food flavored like completely different food is getting out of hand.



My sister threw out a packet of wildflower seeds that included zinnias and cosmos and with this warm winter they are already blooming. This is a red admiral butterfly but it wouldn't cooperate and open it's wings for me. Still, the underside is really nice.



One of our resident red shouldered hawks on the lookout for a meal.



Another prism cast, this time on the door to the refrigerator.



Last Thursday a woman brought in a fresh food donation at SHARE. She made up about 10 of these bags, everything you need for a hearty soup.



I picked up this oyster shell shaped like a canoe when I went to the beach to visit my guide buddies John and Elise last November.



I stopped throwing the coffee grounds with filter in the compost pile because the filters just take forever to decompose so now I dump the grounds in a covered container and throw the filter in the trash. When the container gets full then I either toss them around various flower beds or dump it in the compost pile which I went to do yesterday and found these tiny sprouts of something. I think they must be chia seeds as I do put them on my oatmeal but how they got in the container with the coffee grounds is anybody's guess.


I trust everyone had a good day today, those who celebrate did and those who don't enjoyed their quiet day. I took the opportunity to finish the shadow boxes and mount the glass. They are done, signed, and ready to be formally photographed. So, pictures when.


15 comments:

  1. This post is a series of Good Things, from the weather so mild that flowers are growing for butterflies to land on, to the shard of rainbow, to the imaginative donor of the soup makings. Thank you. Lovely to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like spring here. I swear- I would not be surprised if my greens started bolting.
    Can't wait to see your formal pictures. Whoo-hoo!
    I'm with you on the food flavored like other food. Who in hell wants apple cinnamon flavored pork rinds? I don't even like pork rinds to begin with but shouldn't they taste like...pork?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I been doing the chia in oatmeal as well. No sugar. Nuts. Dried fruit. Whole milk. I have to warn you are getting another polar vortex this spring. Welcome to the Pyrocene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not. It did a number on a lot of my plants. Most survived but took a long time to recover and some of those are still stressed.

      I do put a little local honey in my oatmeal and about ¼ tsp of cinnamon (both these together are beneficial), hemp seed, fresh or frozen fruit, butter, besides the chia. No milk though. I just cook it with a little extra water. Sometimes nuts.

      Delete
  4. Your photos are wonderful except for pork rinds that are trying to be apple pie or whatever, how weird. It is 18 degrees right now- ain't no flowers gonna bloom here tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure do hope John's wrong. No polar vortex, thank you very much. Or, at least if we get one, no state-wide freeze. Just no. As for early blooms, yesterday I found an Indian paintbrush in full bloom. Early or late I can't say, but it was a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both. Besides not venturing out it really stressed out a lot of plants. Most recovered but I think another would kill some of them.

      Delete
  6. I love these photos! Birds flowers and butterflies. Wonderful sights for a cold winter morning here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seedlings in the coffee grounds! That IS mysterious. I hope you let them grow so we can find out what they are! We're not seeing any butterflies at the moment so it's nice to see yours. And I agree re. food made to look/taste like other food. I do not get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the warm weather, weird as it may be. We just got our heads out of a week of sub zero temps. Not nice.
    I love that shell, is this going to be a work of art in the making?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My compost bin always grows a crop of cantaloupe and sometimes watermelon. I will be starting over at my new house and am looking forward to rigging a new composter with barrels that will rotate. Should make the composting more even. Easier to collect and distribute, too. I have a huge embankment that should serve well as the back side of my green house. I am anxious to get started. I should finish filling boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those soup kits look great! Mike's dad got FIVE boxes that one of our local grocery chains put together - cans of veggies, rice, mac n cheese, etc. The problem is he doesn't cook, so Mike took them to distribute somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you remember what was in the two cans at the bottom of the soup bag? I can not read the label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken in the cans. Also had cabbage and potatoes and I think maybe chicken broth.

      Delete
  12. Lots of great photos and news to share!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.