Wednesday, November 17, 2021

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in...


You might remember that when I had the studio room built out in the shop last year, Rocky was supposed to have repaired the leaks in the roof and whatever he did did hold for about a year but after that two months of rain we had last spring, some of it torrential, when I finally went over there to get started on some work it had leaked and the ceiling there was all mildewed and you could see where the water had run down the wall. Rocky cut out the sheetrock and got up there and marked the three places where he could see daylight coming through but I haven't been able to get him back here to fix those spots though he has said several times he had time to replace the sheetrock. Can't do that til the holes are fixed and obviously, he didn't want to do that. So, I finally got up there and did it myself. First I got some Ospho rust remover and sprayed that on Tuesday and today I used a paint brush to brush away as much of the dust and loose rust as I could. I had bought the small container of FlexSeal putty and got up there and smeared and glopped as much as I could push into that small space until I couldn't see anymore daylight coming through the three holes and a couple of seams of the metal sheeting, ended up using the whole container. It had to be done from the inside because of the overhang on that side of the building.


up I go


before, the biggest hole


after

So I guess I'll see how well it worked the next time it rains hard.

Then I cut a piece of sheetrock that was left over from building out the room. The opening basically 24” x 40” but is out of square so I took measurements, made a little drawing, marked the sheetrock, and got about 4” into my first cut when I realized I needed to flip the measurements longwise, cut the piece, and then only had to trim one edge once. So now I have to figure out how to prop it up using the ladder or get someone to help me hold it up while I screw it in place. So that's as far as I got today. Now that I think about it, I won't put it in place until after the next time it rains. 



28 comments:

  1. does it stop your mind from wondering, where it will go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a job done you better bloody well do it yourself- that is my motto and you are making it true! Good job... I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, learned that lesson waiting for the husband to do stuff.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. We women can do anything we put our minds to. Plus it was pretty simple. Just had to squeeze myself in between the 1" x 4"s although I could have climbed up and over the whole ceiling from the other side of the room which would have been way more effort.

      Delete
  4. I like your style. Good idea to check the tightness of the seal before putting up the sheetrock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's within my ability to accomplish I prefer to get it done myself.

      Delete
  5. Wow! You really can kick some serious leaky-roof ass! Truly impressive work. I wish I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do it. Wasn't really that difficult but it's a good thing I'm small and do yoga regularly keeping me flexible.

      Delete
  6. My Goddess!! You have a really bad roof. Good job fixing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a really old metal building and severely corroded in places. The way it was built guaranteed that it would rust out where the roof panels connected to the wall panels.

      Delete
  7. You know those earworms you were talking about? Mine for the day is going to be "Oh, My Bucket's Got a Hole In It." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always something. I so admire your handiness with woodwork and serious tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The life of an artist I guess. Though I've always been good with my hands. Tools you just have to learn to use.

      Delete
  9. Your title sounds like a CW song!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to hand it to you -- you're a braver and more talented person than I ever have been! Gads...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to do stuff with my hands and I've never thought that I couldn't do something just because it was something that men usually do. And sometimes I have found it easier to do it myself than wait for someone else to do it.

      Delete
  11. Go you! I'm impressed with your handiwork. Maybe you could run a hose on the roof and test the seal?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can spray the roof with a hose and get the same result.
    I just read Steve Reed's note and had to laugh. Great minds......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent Job! I'll be interested to hear how well your repairs work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too since I couldn't really tell if the goop got all the way down into that tiny space.

      Delete
  14. You are so handy:) It'll be interesting to see if your repair does the trick. I'm impressed that you were going to put that piece of sheetrock up yourself, even with someone holding it for you. I am terrible at measuring something like that. You didn't need Rocky for this job. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will now be singing that song all day. You really are a woman of all skills!

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.