Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Rockport Art Festival 2021


As mentioned, Pam and I went to the Rockport Art Festival on Saturday. There were a lot of new participants and some we had seen the last two times we went did not return. As usual there was some really great art and some head scratchers. Since Rockport is a coastal city, a lot of the art is ocean or beach related. There was photography and paintings and jewelry and ceramics and glass and wood working and textiles and metal and and... These were the things that caught my eye this time with links to their websites if they have one. I've narrowed it down to 15 artists, 5 or 6 of whom I have showcased before.

Aly Winningham is always a winner. I bought one of her mosaics last year from her website. Unfortunately this picture is slightly out of focus but I think it still gives you a good view of her wonderful mosaics. I introduced myself to her to let her know I was the one that bought Bird In Hand, a piece she told me she liked so much she considered keeping it. I'm really glad she didn't.



There was a lot of jewelry as always, ranging from very fine to basically stringing beads. I don't usually pay much attention to the jewelers because I don't really wear any unless I go out which is rare and I'm not about to spend that kind of money on something I might wear once or twice at this point in my life but Carla Pennie McBride's work caught my eye. Not a great picture of her work either.



Mitch Landry works in metal. I especially like his pelican.



And then there was Bodega whose paintings look like he's on acid when he works. They were a little wild for me but Pam liked them.



Sidney Spencer had really wonderful scrollwork layered and painted to create his compositions. When I asked if I could take a picture he said sure, which side do you want, my left or my right. He made me laugh so I took his picture too. Later I kicked myself for not even asking how much one of his pieces is so I went on his website and contacted him and I'm going to buy the purple flower.


Lance Rath
 wood carver and painter these very fine birds and other animals. Unfortunately another less than great photo. No website, only email.



Donna Hoyack, another mosaic artist, works with driftwood, shells, coral, detritus from the ocean. I really liked these small, 8” x 8” compositions. Unfortunately the picture, once again, is slightly out of focus.



Ann Feldmeir also works in clay and she had these fun 'vases' for single stems of flowers.



Wendell Fuqua was showing his woodblock prints. I particularly like this technique. Each color requires its own cut woodblock.



And then of course, James Offeman, who creates these incredibly detailed and beautiful pastels. Also no website, only email. James gets two pictures because his work is just that awesome.



Barbara Francis, a ceramicist whose work I particularly like.



Tina Couet was showing these very colorful suncatchers. I bought one of the long ones in clear glass with a little bell on the bottom.



I have no name, just Naturalcy Picks. These natural stone guitar picks in thin, medium, and thick made me wish I played the guitar.



Diane Lawrence paints on silk. The lamps were kind of different, not to my taste, but I really liked the art work.



And last but not least is Larry Pileglass artist. I really love his whimsical slumpy folded over vases. 




17 comments:

  1. Wow! Really beautiful artwork there. Makes me want to go to some art exhibits here. Do people do open studios there, where you can go to their homes and see their work? Since covid that hasn't happened here, but I think soon there will be ways to see more art. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! Usually you and I share a similar sensibility about many things but I have to tell you I love those silk painted lamps. They are gorgeous to me.
    The single stem vases appeal to me a lot.
    Just all really nice. Definitely worth its own post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful variety and beauty in every piece! I will have to check out some of the websites. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good show. I wonder if the "no shows" were not juried back in. I loved all of it, but especially the one weed vases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what fun. No good fiber artists, asks the quilter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. besides the painted silk there was one other booth with scarves and shawls and maybe some clothing, printed and woven perhaps. I didn't pay that much attention as it was one of the last booths we walked through and we were hot and maxxed out. no quilting though.

      Delete
  6. Thoroughly enjoyed this colorful walk around. Just like being there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool artwork. Bodega's emphasis on the rabbit reminds me of the Mad Hatter... and yes, absolutely his work looks like that of someone on 'something' for sure. I loved the paintings of the egrets (I think they were egrets). Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh VERY cool! I especially love those mosaics up top, but I'd also like the single stem vases (as in I could actually use one of those!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the sun catchers! Can't wait to sell this and get settled in a new place so that HeWho can do his stained glass again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started visiting sites last night, and enjoyed it. The woodworker caught my eye, of course. It was interesting to see him using purple heart in his work. The only time I've seen that used on boats was for wheels or interior cabin trim; I might add that those were very high-end boats. I loved his Texas stars, but they're out of my price range.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the virtual tour. Some wild and colorful stuff there. Any fiberarts? Or perhaps they just didn't catch your eye as the ones you chose did. Anyway thank you for the pisty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. besides the painted silk, there was a booth with shawls and scarves and perhaps some clothing, some woven, some dyed. it was at the end of the fourth side and we were maxxed out and I really didn't pay much attention.

      Delete
  12. Post, dang it. That change happened after I hit enter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word! What beautiful and varied artworks, I shall investigate more than a few of these further for sure. Thank you for bringing us along with you. I might get one of those natural stone picks for my nephew, who plays guitar wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such an interesting variety of art. I'm glad you went back and bought the purple flower! I love the woodblock prints, the suncatchers and some of the others.

    ReplyDelete

I opened my big mouth, now it's your turn.